Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Tool_User
Optomist

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Tool_User »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 am Holy fucking Invincible!!! Caved and listened to this . The audio is incredible on that version and man now that sounds like nothing theyve ever done to me! Both songs have me amped as for this album. Is it Aenima or Lateralus? To me no they're not but those albums are 20+ years old and I don't want them to try be those albums.

I want them to give an honest performance of where they are at individually and musically and to that point I feel they have nailed it.

Wow I think you can actually make out maynards vocal harmony effects on this recording. Imagine what that's gonna sound like on cd!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am Hellboy mentioned about the lack of story telling and I gotta disagree. Has anyone posted the lyrics to Invicible yet? These are really good and fit that song perfectly.

Invincible (pulled from zee interwebs likely not completely correct)

Longing tooth and soul
Longing for another win
Merge into the (frame/fray)
Weapon out and bellied in
A warrior, struggling to remain, consequential
Go around
Bold and proud
Where I've been?
Here I am

Beating chest and drum
Beating tired bones again
Age-old battle, mine

Tales told of battles won
Of things we've done
Come give your love, again

Beating tired bones tripping through, remember when?
Once invincible, now the armors wearing thin, heavy shield down

Warrior, struggling, to remain, relevant
Warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential
Cry aloud, bold and proud
Where I've been
Here I am
Where I am

Warrior, struggling to remain, relevant
Warrior, struggling to remain, consequential

A tear in my eyes, chasing Ponce de Leons fountain sword
Filled with (holes/hope), I can taste mythical
Sultans false hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way
Before now, feel the sting, feeling time, bearing down

In my eyes, chasing Ponce de Leons fountain sword

False hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way
Before now, feel the sting, feeling time bearing down

Bearing down
Very honest and vulnerable, the sign of a true artist.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

I don't know what the fuck everyone is talking about. The lyrics for invincible wrap around the instruments perfectly. Doesn't feel rushed at all.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

So far, most (not all) of MJKs albums have a track titled after the album. Recent Puscifer follows this trend, ETE fits this, all of Tools albums fit this...

Do we think either of the tracks we know are the title track? They don't necessarily fit for an album title, but I wouldn't have thought 10,000 Days, or Eat The Elephant sounded like an album title either.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

It would be hilarious considering that if descending or invincible is the title track it’s right here in front of our eyes. Same with MMXIX.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

tys0n wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 pm Just realised I've probably heard 1/3 of the album now :(
^This. One of the reasons that convinced me to wait it out.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am Hellboy mentioned about the lack of story telling and I gotta disagree. Has anyone posted the lyrics to Invicible yet? These are really good and fit that song perfectly.

Bearing down
I didn't really know what to expect or have expectations for this album after the problems I had with 10,000 Days, so I guess my semi-conscious mark of quality was whether or not these tunes would be better. So far I am beyond pleased. The arrangements are long, but much better and moving (whereas Right in Two or Days have parts that just repeat over and over or arrangements feel forced), the songs don't feel overly long. However, what I am most pleased with, and what I think makes the most difference for me, is that Maynard's condescending, sarcastic, apathetic lyrics are gone. I cannot stand how much whining is on Days, even the positive songs about his wife and mother can't help but spend time on the negative things. People watch too much TV, demand too much, believe stupid things because they are ignorant dumb apes, etc... Lateralus was an integral part of my intellectual development, and growing with those messages, excited for a new Tool record, only to hear this basic, lame nonsense was a huge let down. Even the previous albums have observational, introspective perspectives, but Days is just, like "whatever". Everyone talks about how moving Wings is to them and I just do not hear it. Sure, it could be a powerful song, but Maynard wrote such bland, dispassionate lyrics that it falls flat on its face. There is no passion, no story or artful metaphor. He drags out his lantern again (in one of the songs better lines) and otherwise complains about religious institutions, dead pan to the point where he flat out says his mother's name and it is not earned. I felt that attitude was in the music as well, in that it felt rushed.

Anyways, I am really happy with this new stuff so far. I like that the arranging ideas are much tighter. I like Adam's leaning into chords for melodic movement some more as opposed to how Tool was less about that in the past, I like how Danny has the random spirit from Days, but it is honed more to have the purposeful, "part" oriented feel of the other albums. I like Justin's creative playing with the Bass' role. I guess this stuff does remind of Lateralus or Aenima in that it all sounds exactly purposeful and, although I don't think to the same degree (yet), like the song couldn't exist any other way. I really hope this momentum continues through the album.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Adam has always said Tool is primarily a live band.
Recalling what Danny said about the switch to album-before-live-performance, watching that video above with Maynard, seeing them adjust during the Lateralus/10k days era, I'm hoping Maynard doesn't have a bunch of screams on the album that'll strain him. Wanting him to scream just feels like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. If he ain't feeling it, why do it? That makes no sense to me. It's anti-expresssive, which isn't what art is supposed to be. I think his new vocals/lyrics are on point!

Given all that, I feel like they've really found a new groove with this new material. I imagine they probably felt a bit constricted in recent past and there might be something liberating about how they've been revealing the new tunes gradually over the years, trying to stay consistent with live jams to keep it fresh and exciting. Kinda puts the wait into perspective. They may have waited 13 years to give us another album, but they never stopped playing live and that doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. I don't care about the setlists, their live presence is commendable and legendary. I think the albums are there more to support that, as opposed to vice versa. Not that the albums aren't wonderful, serious works of art, but if Adam says Tool is primarily a live band, I'll take it at face value.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

bob wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm ""can someone upload them to youtube, smaller files for my phone"" jesus! talk about loosing quality with something good. i guess some people just want toolarchive. uuugh.

here,,if its ok. i converted them to mp3 so its more manageable..i get that..mp3 isnt the devil.

Busty McCracken, i used Dbpoweramp to convert them. its a nice little program.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bj2qpqte1q1 ... 337La?dl=0
Bless you, child!!! My lord, this is the best crowd bootleg from them I think I've ever heard.
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

There have been a few updates to the news section on Danny's website over the last few days, which I assume Blair handles...but still nothing on Toolband.com. I wonder if it's the server and backend updates causing the delay?

Hellboy, have you heard from Blair recently?
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Boldizar wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 am

I didn't really know what to expect or have expectations for this album after the problems I had with 10,000 Days, so I guess my semi-conscious mark of quality was whether or not these tunes would be better. So far I am beyond pleased. The arrangements are long, but much better and moving (whereas Right in Two or Days have parts that just repeat over and over or arrangements feel forced), the songs don't feel overly long. However, what I am most pleased with, and what I think makes the most difference for me, is that Maynard's condescending, sarcastic, apathetic lyrics are gone. I cannot stand how much whining is on Days, even the positive songs about his wife and mother can't help but spend time on the negative things. People watch too much TV, demand too much, believe stupid things because they are ignorant dumb apes, etc... Lateralus was an integral part of my intellectual development, and growing with those messages, excited for a new Tool record, only to hear this basic, lame nonsense was a huge let down. Even the previous albums have observational, introspective perspectives, but Days is just, like "whatever". Everyone talks about how moving Wings is to them and I just do not hear it. Sure, it could be a powerful song, but Maynard wrote such bland, dispassionate lyrics that it falls flat on its face. There is no passion, no story or artful metaphor. He drags out his lantern again (in one of the songs better lines) and otherwise complains about religious institutions, dead pan to the point where he flat out says his mother's name and it is not earned. I felt that attitude was in the music as well, in that it felt rushed.

Anyways, I am really happy with this new stuff so far. I like that the arranging ideas are much tighter. I like Adam's leaning into chords for melodic movement some more as opposed to how Tool was less about that in the past, I like how Danny has the random spirit from Days, but it is honed more to have the purposeful, "part" oriented feel of the other albums. I like Justin's creative playing with the Bass' role. I guess this stuff does remind of Lateralus or Aenima in that it all sounds exactly purposeful and, although I don't think to the same degree (yet), like the song couldn't exist any other way. I really hope this momentum continues through the album.
Nice post. I'm trying not to cave, but you guys are making it pretty difficult.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 am Nice post. I'm trying not to cave, but you guys are making it pretty difficult.
Stay strong dude! Only 113 days to go. :lol:

And think about all the cool live recordings you'll be able to go back to and enjoy for the first time as well!
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I'll tell you what nxrm, you're keeping me strong. We can do this.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

It is very tempting, but I’m with you fellers!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

\m/
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Tool_User wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 am

Longing tooth and soul
Longing for another win
Go around
Bold and proud
Where I've been?
Here I am

Beating chest and drum
Age-old battle, mine

Of things we've done

Where I've been
Here I am
Where I am

Bearing down
pretty sure it's phantom soul, not fountain sword.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

rshforgothispw wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:29 am guys his lyrics are dope he’s not going to let us down

MUSTER EVERY FIBER!

MOBILIZE,

STAY! ALIVE!
FEELING TIME

BEARING DOWN!

(proceeds to break neck)
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

So the Alabama mastered recordings are still the best out there. I listened to Louisville and there’s a few slip ups. Bama is nearly perfect so be sure to play that if you do cave. One thing I’ve noticed is each version has a tiny bit different going on with it. They are probably finding their sweet spots with the effects but it’s making the wait for the album even more exciting to me. Can’t wait for Saturday. Can’t wait to watch the YouTube videos of the European shows. Can’t wait for 8/30.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

lukas wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am
Tool_User wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 am

Longing tooth and soul
Longing for another win
Go around
Bold and proud
Where I've been?
Here I am

Beating chest and drum
Age-old battle, mine

Of things we've done

Where I've been
Here I am
Where I am

Bearing down
pretty sure it's phantom soul, not fountain sword.
Cool i just pulled it from the interwebs i didn't piece it together myself figured things were different here or there. Bottom line lyrics are solid
The most intelligent person on this forum
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Specter wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:31 am It is very tempting, but I’m with you fellers!
Right on Specter. Hey dude, I think we're coming back to New Orleans when the US tour gets announced. Will let ya know.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Specter wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:31 am It is very tempting, but I’m with you fellers!
Right on Specter. Hey dude, I think we're coming back to New Orleans when the US tour gets announced. Will let ya know.
For sure!! That’d be great!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Much respect to you fellas for sticking to your guns, but i am just gonna throw it out there...life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone...been 13 years...songs are amazing...is it really worth waiting? Food for thought.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm Much respect to you fellas for sticking to your guns, but i am just gonna throw it out there...life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone...been 13 years...songs are amazing...is it really worth waiting? Food for thought.
I'll second that. Plus while it's a little challenging the first couple of times after that it sounds amazing and gets better with each listen.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

For me, it is worth it.
LeoMonzo
Bronco's Fan

Post by LeoMonzo »