Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Movies, TV and other video based media
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Re: Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Post by snazzl3frass »

M0G wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 pm
I really feel bad for the actors and actresses who have all been outstanding and have spent 10 years of their lives on this only to see it all go up in smoke. To be clear the acting in Season 8 has been excellent it is the writing that is the issue.

I never expected anything close to any sort of happy ending this series was never about that. But I expect proper plot development and character arcs that make sense. I have no clue what has happened this season.
Exactly this. The writing has sucked, but at least the actors gave it their all. I guess I'm ok with that. But yeah, Jon's gonna have to kill his aunt now... Bitch gotta go.
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm
M0G wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 pm
I really feel bad for the actors and actresses who have all been outstanding and have spent 10 years of their lives on this only to see it all go up in smoke. To be clear the acting in Season 8 has been excellent it is the writing that is the issue.

I never expected anything close to any sort of happy ending this series was never about that. But I expect proper plot development and character arcs that make sense. I have no clue what has happened this season.
Exactly this. The writing has sucked, but at least the actors gave it their all. I guess I'm ok with that. But yeah, Jon's gonna have to kill his aunt now... Bitch gotta go.
Shoulda just gave her the D man hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
The most intelligent person on this forum
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Pretty sure he's gonna go back North and rally e'rybody and there will be one last fuck all battle. At this point I don't care what happens. Just finish the damn books Georgie. I'm looking forward to that and the "prequel"
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I didn't mind the last episode, though it's still suffering from being entirely predictable. At least a few characters have been killed off now.

I haven't read any leaks, so looking forward to what the final episode brings.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:41 am I didn't mind the last episode, though it's still suffering from being entirely predictable. At least a few characters have been killed off now.

I haven't read any leaks, so looking forward to what the final episode brings.
What are you smoking? They literally blew up the Dany character arc in one episode. Not to mention they butchered the Jaime arc. They got Varys all wrong someone so methodical and deliberate flips and then get's caught in two episodes? Tyrion, who has been the smartest character by far for 7 seasons now continually keeps fucking up and pulling Jon Snow levels of stupidity. I cannot properly express just how bad the writing has been this season. It is like these people have no fucking idea how character and plot development work. The kind of shit you would learn at uni at a basic Literature course.

Fuck they have just created a brand new course of study. How to Blow up a Character Arc 101
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

It feels way rushed, and I think that's what is disappointing the most. They need two more seasons to close everything that happened up until the end of season 7. There are way too many plots holes. Only having 6 episodes pretty much guaranteed there'd be disappointment. Should've been a season 9 or at least 10 episodes. I also think they perceive their audience as dumbasses who will be thrown for a loop by "unexpected" plots twists in an attempt to undermine the fact that there are tons of plot holes.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm It feels way rushed, and I think that's what is disappointing the most. They need two more seasons to close everything that happened up until the end of season 7. There are way too many plots holes. Only having 6 episodes pretty much guaranteed there'd be disappointment. Should've been a season 9 or at least 10 episodes. I also think they perceive their audience as dumbasses who will be thrown for a loop by "unexpected" plots twists in an attempt to undermine the fact that there are tons of plot holes.
Agreed I thought going into the season they could pull it off in 6 episodes if all of them were longer but with the changes to character arcs and plot they needed more episodes and another season or two. We would have needed to see Dany become unhinged to actually lead up to the nuking of Kings Landing. We needed a more comprehensive back story to the Knight King and his goal and Brann as theThree Eyed Raven and how it all fit together. We absolutely needed a more fully developed sequence if they were planning on having Ayra get the kill on the Knight King. Ayra just sneaking past a group of undead and a troop of white walkers and reaching the Knight King all without any distraction is complete and utter rubbish.

And then all the shit they have left unanswered. All the prophecies that went nowhere. The crazy thing is they were doing so fucking well. I have said many times I preferred the tv adaption to the books because Martin lost the story in AFFC. D&D cut out of a lot of the filler and unnecessary shit. Never could have imagined they would have completely destroyed this final season.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I get her sneaking past them, her being a faceless man/symbol of death. I just think he shouldn't have been killed till the last episode. They made his death seem small, and made you think Cersei's death would be big. In the end her death was even more lame.
Something has to be up with Bran. That's my last hope is they'll do something cool with him, something unexpected that will tie up alot of plot lines they seem to have abandoned. If they don't then this whole season has been a bust.

Damn this weed is bumpin.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

My understanding is that the writers are really working from cliff notes now. The books are extremely detailed (I gave up halfway through book four) and you can't expect a TV show to cover the same ground. I agree it has been rushed.

I think its a shame to let this spoil your enjoyment of what is still a great spectacle and ripping yarn though.

I really hope Arya dispatches Dany.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Thing is, my expectations are already low enough to where I'll be ok with whatever happens. Heh, kinda like with Tool. Thank you Tool for helping me lower my expectations in life!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So why did they feel the need to cram the final season into 6 episodes anyway? Run out of budget? Actors moving on? I can't help but feel if they'd have just taken a bit longer with character development this season that we'd be speaking more positively on what's going on. Why the rush?
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Apparently they felt it was time to end it. They didn't want it to go on forever and become bland. HBO would love them to keep going I'm sure, huge cash cow.
It's similar to why Jerry Seinfeld ended Seinfeld, wanted to go out on a high note.

Unfortunately for GoT, they're getting alot of criticism about this season so I'm not sure it's turning out like they hoped.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Everyone's a critic I guess, including myself. I don't have a real concern with how the story is panning out, just that they've taken time to deliver a bunch of fan service (which is cool) but seemingly at the expense of developing the characters, the obvious problems to me being Arya's "sudden" appearance to kill the Night King and Dany going from 0-nuclear in no time.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I think Dany's been holding alot of anger inside from all the shit she's been through and all that frustration hit a tipping point now that most the people she's cared about are gone, Jon rejecting her and Rhaegal dying recently. Now she doesn't give a shit and just wants to watch the world burn. If only Jon hit that one more time....

I agree the Arya thing was too sudden, but I always thought she'd be the one to kill that horned fucker. Just not that way or at that time.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:46 pm My understanding is that the writers are really working from cliff notes now. The books are extremely detailed (I gave up halfway through book four) and you can't expect a TV show to cover the same ground. I agree it has been rushed.

I think its a shame to let this spoil your enjoyment of what is still a great spectacle and ripping yarn though.

I really hope Arya dispatches Dany.
Spectacle is for mindless super hero movies I expect high level plot development and well executed character arcs. For 6 seasons (and about half of 7)...they delivered. Yes they are working off cliff notes and a general outline but you simply don’t forget how to write properly for an entire season, particularly one as important as the final season. You don’t leave gaping plot holes and butcher character arcs in the name of spectacle.

I have said a number of times the travesty that is season 8 does not diminish the series in it’s entirety. Game of Thrones is an amazing series and HBO should certainly be commended for what they achieved with the show. It is just really difficult to watch 10 years of plot development and character development just get tossed out the door. The series deserves better. The actors and crew and everyone who has worked so hard on this show deserve better.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

I'm mildly upset that Jaime got Brienne instead of Tormund. Maybe he'll be her rebound and they'll make giant babies live happily ever after.

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

^ Tormund is such a great character. Agreed would have preferred to see him end up with Brienne he never would have bounced like Jaime. I am just glad his character was able to get the fuck out of dodge before D&D decided to fuck it all up.

Interesting as we have been talking about character arc assassinations now that the season is winding down some of the actors are opening up a bit about how this season went down. The fella that plays Varys apparently has not been particularly happy with what has happened to his character for the last two seasons. I suspect after the final episode we will likely hear more from some of the others about how things went down.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

The dude that played Jon said he was disappointed in how it ended. Unless they kill everyone do you think the bad reviews will prompt a 9th season? I know they said it was done and there was no spin off, but maybe now that everyone's pissed at how it's going down, they'll go for it. Unlike Tool, it seems HBO cares about what people think. If there's enough money going around, maybe they'll get some fresh writers in and make another season.
Then again I'm high and when I'm high I get optimistic.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm The dude that played Jon said he was disappointed in how it ended. Unless they kill everyone do you think the bad reviews will prompt a 9th season? I know they said it was done and there was no spin off, but maybe now that everyone's pissed at how it's going down, they'll go for it. Unlike Tool, it seems HBO cares about what people think. If there's enough money going around, maybe they'll get some fresh writers in and make another season.
Then again I'm high and when I'm high I get optimistic.
Then you must always be high :lol:

Dunno bout the rest but I can tell you Martin posted and shot down the rumor that he was actually finished books 6 and 7 and was just waiting for the series to end to release them. Not sure how anyone actually believed that enough to even warrant Martin publicly addressing it. I think the dude that played Barriston was pissed off and started the rumor. Martin did mentioned he hasn't even started on book 7 so I take that as meaning book six is still a ways off.

Would have been a good time to give an update on where he was on book 6 but apparently he couldn't be bothered. These fucking authors that write these multi-volume series and refuse to update status piss me the fuck off. You are selling the fucking thing based on the premise of it being a multi-volume series and you cannot be bothered to drop an update every couple of months? Martin is not the only guy to do this fucking Rothfuss won't even talk about what the fuck is going on with Book 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicle. Like legit REFUSES to talk about it at all. Well fuck you then buddy I refuse to buy it or any of the 47 different special editions you have made for the first two books in the series. Had I fucking known when I bought book 2 that 8 years later I would still be waiting on book 3 I never would have bought book two.

Thankfully most authors and musicians have their shit together and typically when they say something is coming out they actually get it done and don't flip the fuck out if people ask them about it in the process.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

He was updating but it's my understanding he's hit a wall. There's so much hype and high expectation now that the show is so popular that he's feeling alot of pressure and that's made him block. Winds of winter is close I'm sure, maybe a 2020 release. He'll probably pass before the next one comes out tho; he's getting old.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

snazzl3frass wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm He was updating but it's my understanding he's hit a wall. There's so much hype and high expectation now that the show is so popular that he's feeling alot of pressure and that's made him block. Winds of winter is close I'm sure, maybe a 2020 release. He'll probably pass before the next one comes out tho; he's getting old.
Yeah I hate to say it but I think you are right. Probably gonna be a Robert Jordan situation where he picks another author to finish the last book for him like Jordan did with Sanderson for WOT.

As for the wall I just have no sympathy at all. He sold this shit to HBO. He has made millions and will continue to make millions. He is a professional no excuses. And then you have people like Felicia Day and his rabid fanbase who run to his defense with twitter posts like #Martinisnotyourbitch or some shit like that. I hate when people make excuses. Martin could have, dunno, actually finished the books and THEN sold them to HBO. Crazy idea I know. I mean you gotta think of all the time spent consulting on the show. Not to mention the side projects and other shit not Game of Thrones he has worked on. And of course the never ending convention parade.

That is why I love authors like Tad Williams dude writes massive books and never fails to deliver on time. Again thankfully that is the case with most authors. If the majority of them pulled Martin/Rothfuss type shit I would stop buying book 1 in a planned trilogy or series and just wait for the entire thing to be finished. Nothing worse than really getting into a series only to see it completely stall out and then sit around and play the waiting game.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Syncs perfectly:

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

That actually does sync perfectly. I am not a big Metallica fan but some of their older shit was really ground breaking for the time. I forgot how dope that song was. I tend to try to forget the 80s but Metallica influenced a shit load of great bands. Most of their albums blow but the old stuff, gotta give them props.
snazzl3frass
Has been

Post by snazzl3frass »

Haven't heard that song in ages. I just got destroyed my living room under inspiration to that song.

Damnit.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm That actually does sync perfectly. I am not a big Metallica fan but some of their older shit was really ground breaking for the time. I forgot how dope that song was. I tend to try to forget the 80s but Metallica influenced a shit load of great bands. Most of their albums blow but the old stuff, gotta give them props.
I think people sometimes forget just how good some of those older Metallica riffs really are.