Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Kittaan »

trilobite wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 am Do any of you remember Tool.
Where’s that confounded Tool?!
Ki77aan :twisted:
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Do you remember how angry Opiate tool was, any Jerkoff just like you.
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Deaf & dumb & blind
also, Avatar!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Are you drunk or high trilo? Either way enjoy

Yes I remember those years. Seems like a lifetime ago.
The most intelligent person on this forum
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

The Grudge
The Patient
Schism
Parabola
Ticks & Leeches
Lateralus
D/R/T

I'm hope the new album is similar to the above in terms of it being 7 ideas... or 6... or whatever. I'm not really too fussed about how many 'tracks' there are if the songs or music is high quality. 18 years later and I still don't know how to classify D/R/T properly. I usually listen to it as D/R and think of Triad as separate. However, I never really listen to Intension on its own.

Anyway, having listened to the Birmingham show a few times, there are little snippets in there I haven't heard before. Obviously CCTrip is new but there's quick little riff that sounds fresh etc. I'm sure Adam & Justin are very tempted to unleash other new material live.

The other thing to consider is where the tracks are placed in the album and how that influences how I hear them. I think Stinkfist and especially The Grudge are great opening tracks for an album. But I don't think either Descending or Invincible should be anywhere near the front of an album (i.e. not first three 'tracks'). They need a good hard-hitting opening track. Danny has said previously something about writing something that's the heaviest thing they've ever done and Maynard's lyrics are along the same lines. We will see...

I'm also curious as to how this supposed 15 minute track will come out, either as a single piece of music or split up D/R/T style.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

M0G wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 pm
Vocals are a pretty soft but the g/d/b recording/mix on this is best I've heard - top marks. Descending is the cow's udders.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

As long as the pied piper gets to do his thing im sure we will all be satisfied.. Them rat nests ain't gonna clear themselves!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

How's about junior spills us some gossip? Bout time he gave us some good hard info it's not all about lights an lasers an whatnot an what have ya.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Junior if I bring you a gift or buy you beer can you get me a spot near the sound desk at Download? I hate crowds and I'm not exactly tall. I could help out with the lights an whatnot.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I’ll take creepy things fans shouldn’t say for $200, $400, and $1200, Alex
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Daily double!
Canned audience laughter
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

inequitude wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 am
M0G wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 pm
Vocals are a pretty soft but the g/d/b recording/mix on this is best I've heard - top marks. Descending is the cow's udders.
Holy shit invincible is a whole new song thanks to the quality here. Justin’s bass playing is insane! That growl at around 18:50 and his playing at 26 mins in is incredible!

Descending was great also until the end where they lose time for a sec but get back on track for the climax.

Can’t wait. It’s the 30th guys! Only few more of these 30ths to go!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Sounds so good
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

hellboy wrote:
My bet is 5 "songs". As far as tracks go, I suspect 3 segues on top of that, and perhaps one or two of the "songs' broken into two parts. 10 "tracks" is my prediction
Ok, here we go:

Aenima - 15 tracks,
Lateralus - 13 tracks,
10K Days - 11 tracks,
new album - 9 tracks

That's my theory.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm Ok, here we go:

Aenima - 15 tracks,
Lateralus - 13 tracks,
10K Days - 11 tracks,
new album - 9 tracks

That's my theory.
OK lets break it down realistically:

AEnima
9 songs ~ 66 minutes
6 segues ~ 11 minutes
Total length ~ 77 minutes

Lateralus
13 songs ~ 72 minutes
3 segues ~ 7 minutes (includes silence after Triad)
Total length ~ 79 minutes

10,000 Days
11 songs ~ 66 minutes
3 segues ~ 10 minutes
Total length ~ 76 minutes

Thats an average of 68 minutes of music, and 9 minutes of segues per album over the last 3 releases.

New Album
about 24 minutes of the 68 minutes is in Descending and Invincible. Leaving 44 minutes remaining. My guess is we get 5 songs out of that 44 minutes, with 2 of them being linked together how D/R/T, Parabol/a, etc. We can expect 9 minutes of segues as usual. That still leaves the new album at:
7 songs ~ 68 minutes
X segues ~ 9 minutes
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm
ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm Ok, here we go:

Aenima - 15 tracks,
Lateralus - 13 tracks,
10K Days - 11 tracks,
new album - 9 tracks

That's my theory.
OK lets break it down realistically:

AEnima
9 songs ~ 66 minutes
6 segues ~ 11 minutes
Total length ~ 77 minutes

Lateralus
13 songs ~ 72 minutes
3 segues ~ 7 minutes (includes silence after Triad)
Total length ~ 79 minutes

10,000 Days
11 songs ~ 66 minutes
3 segues ~ 10 minutes
Total length ~ 76 minutes

Thats an average of 68 minutes of music, and 9 minutes of segues per album over the last 3 releases.

New Album
about 24 minutes of the 68 minutes is in Descending and Invincible. Leaving 44 minutes remaining. My guess is we get 5 songs out of that 44 minutes, with 2 of them being linked together how D/R/T, Parabol/a, etc. We can expect 9 minutes of segues as usual. That still leaves the new album at:
7 songs ~ 68 minutes
X segues ~ 9 minutes
That doesn't work out if what the band has said is true. One 15 minutes track plus descending and invincible leaves 29 minutes if your only allowing 68. All songs are said to be over ten minutes so that leaves room for 3 more but we are a minute over. That leaves about ten minutes for Danny's synth thing and segues. So 6 songs?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm telling you, there's almost no fucking way Danny's synth/drum solo is even close to 10 minutes. I don't care what he's been doing with it live, it'll be much shorter than that.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

There also may very well just be way, way less segues on this one.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nice stats Zim.

I would posit that both Descending and Invincible contain their own segues. So that may be a factor.

I honestly don’t care about the breakdown. I, like many of you (most?), rarely make it through all the segues in their entirety. I usually skip over them pretty quickly.

Although, on a recent Tool infused bike ride I let them play and it was refreshing.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Still debating this? Hellboy has specifically stated the album is not going to have as many songs, but they are all very long.

6 songs max. MATH..Descending...just under 12 mins....Invincible 12 and a half...add in the 15 min song..about 39-40mins...half the album 3 songs.

Has been stated a number of times all the songs on the album are over 10 mins in length. Danny's synth, while likely short, will take up a couple of minutes at least. Segues, etc.

Again let's do math...

If three songs take up roughly 40 minutes...and 79 is the max you can have on a cd...that leaves 39 minutes for seques, Danny's synth, and songs. If the songs are all indeed over 10 mins, 7 songs in total is IMPOSSIBLE.

It is either going to be 5 with some multi-part songs or 6. That will be about 70 mins worth of music, again, doing MATH, IF all the songs are indeed over 10 minutes in length given how long Descending and Invincible currently are and adding in the 15 mins song.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Sounds so good
Yep that was pretty shit hot. Old mate done good. Cheers for the link bro
Listen to All Them Witches
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

joeypants wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm There also may very well just be way, way less segues on this one.
This is very likely. We haven't really seen a segue heavy record since Aenima, to begin with. I don't even consider Mantra or Lost Keys "segues", as they are short intros to songs. CCTrip will probably be the same as an intro or extended piece of some new music. So, really since Aenima the only segues are Faaip de Oiad, Lipan Conjuring, and Viginti Tres - two of which actually close out the album.

What I'm getting at is there's no reason to think there are going to be any breaks in this record. Tool isn't as segue heavy as you might think. It might just be one massive piece of music split into 6 tracks.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

So is CCTrip a segue or a song? When I say 5-6 songs, I'm not including CCTrip. I don't think CCTrip will be less than 5 minutes
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I'm saying there's no reason to get hung up on "tracks" and "segues". I would guess that CCTrip is probably going to be an intro or extension to a song. Or even the last track like Faaip de Oiad. None of it will matter. I'm thinking we're going to get real close to 80 minutes of music with no filler. I don't consider a drum solo from the greatest drummer alive to be filler.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 pm I'm saying there's no reason to get hung up on "tracks" and "segues". I would guess that CCTrip is probably going to be an intro or extension to a song. Or even the last track like Faaip de Oiad. None of it will matter. I'm thinking we're going to get real close to 80 minutes of music with no filler. I don't consider a drum solo from the greatest drummer alive to be filler.
Me either, I'm not especially hung up on it. Regardless of the phrase segue, filler, intro, they all add welcome atmosphere to the album, but given that I spend 90% of my music listening time on shuffle or in the car, anything that's not a "song" often gets skipped.

I never skip Faaip de Oiad though