Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by Pimple »

M0G wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 pm
I listened to this version at work today. It is awesome. I have avoided listening to the songs for a couple of weeks now, but that version might get a few listens tonight after a belly full of Coopers...

Thanks for sharing the link.
Be good to each other.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

I never skip Faaip de Oiad though
its prob old news to you but did you hear Art Bells original phone call that this came from ? and even if not if anyone else hasnt they should. prob old news for most though.
GabesCaves
My pain is just an excuse

Post by GabesCaves »

Bill Hilly wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 pm
joeypants wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm There also may very well just be way, way less segues on this one.
This is very likely. We haven't really seen a segue heavy record since Aenima, to begin with. I don't even consider Mantra or Lost Keys "segues", as they are short intros to songs. CCTrip will probably be the same as an intro or extended piece of some new music. So, really since Aenima the only segues are Faaip de Oiad, Lipan Conjuring, and Viginti Tres - two of which actually close out the album.

What I'm getting at is there's no reason to think there are going to be any breaks in this record. Tool isn't as segue heavy as you might think. It might just be one massive piece of music split into 6 tracks.

The music world has changed since Tool's "segue heavy" days.

It's more common now to pick 5 or 6 bands and stream them on random, which doesn't really work nicely with Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 pm
hellboy wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:12 pm I think the synth bleeding into RIT is more of a coincidence than an affirmation the tracks are one.
A coincidence?? Well now you're just taking the piss mate
I second this. The songs are clearly joined as Intension definitively fades into Right In Two. 10k Days in general has its songs arranged in pairs. Vicarious/Jambi are a pair of unrelated songs, Wings 1&2, LK/RS, I/RT, then the only outside is the Pot. It doesn't necessarily mean they are completely bound as with Disposition, but they are merged together.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

GabesCaves wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 am The music world has changed since Tool's "segue heavy" days.
It's more common now to pick 5 or 6 bands and stream them on random, which doesn't really work nicely with Tool.
I don't expect them to sequence the new album with streaming or other "modern" listening habits in mind though, other than "play the whole thing from start to finish". All previous records seem to be structured with the CD as the defining format and I'd be surprised if they ever changed that.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

M0G wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:27 pm Still debating this? Hellboy has specifically stated the album is not going to have as many songs, but they are all very long.

6 songs max. MATH..Descending...just under 12 mins....Invincible 12 and a half...add in the 15 min song..about 39-40mins...half the album 3 songs.

Has been stated a number of times all the songs on the album are over 10 mins in length. Danny's synth, while likely short, will take up a couple of minutes at least. Segues, etc.

Again let's do math...

If three songs take up roughly 40 minutes...and 79 is the max you can have on a cd...that leaves 39 minutes for seques, Danny's synth, and songs. If the songs are all indeed over 10 mins, 7 songs in total is IMPOSSIBLE.

It is either going to be 5 with some multi-part songs or 6. That will be about 70 mins worth of music, again, doing MATH, IF all the songs are indeed over 10 minutes in length given how long Descending and Invincible currently are and adding in the 15 mins song.
Yes but this assumes we are not getting a double album. You said it yourself, the math doesn't allow for a lot of long tracks and we know all the tracks are long. The real question is why would Tool limit themselves to writing a specific amount of songs that will fit onto one disc? How they are going to release this was something Adam was specifically "hoo-boy"ing over at my clinic, and not just regarding potential "singles". I guess we will all find out soon enough, but I will be extremely surprised if we get something as few as 5-7 new songs after such a long time, especially given two of them are already out there.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Boldizar wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am
M0G wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:27 pm Still debating this? Hellboy has specifically stated the album is not going to have as many songs, but they are all very long.

6 songs max. MATH..Descending...just under 12 mins....Invincible 12 and a half...add in the 15 min song..about 39-40mins...half the album 3 songs.

Has been stated a number of times all the songs on the album are over 10 mins in length. Danny's synth, while likely short, will take up a couple of minutes at least. Segues, etc.

Again let's do math...

If three songs take up roughly 40 minutes...and 79 is the max you can have on a cd...that leaves 39 minutes for seques, Danny's synth, and songs. If the songs are all indeed over 10 mins, 7 songs in total is IMPOSSIBLE.

It is either going to be 5 with some multi-part songs or 6. That will be about 70 mins worth of music, again, doing MATH, IF all the songs are indeed over 10 minutes in length given how long Descending and Invincible currently are and adding in the 15 mins song.
Yes but this assumes we are not getting a double album. You said it yourself, the math doesn't allow for a lot of long tracks and we know all the tracks are long. The real question is why would Tool limit themselves to writing a specific amount of songs that will fit onto one disc? How they are going to release this was something Adam was specifically "hoo-boy"ing over at my clinic, and not just regarding potential "singles". I guess we will all find out soon enough, but I will be extremely surprised if we get something as few as 5-7 new songs after such a long time, especially given two of them are already out there.
Well they clearly struggled writing this so I'd be very surprised if after struggling for so long they suddenly belted out a double album. Plus hellboys source is adamant its not a double album.

Although I am surprised they chose to debut two songs live before releasing singles.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

It's odd with no official single yet. But I like having experienced new music yet still anticipating the album version and production. It's a great taste, but still a lot to be discovered about these songs.

I hope no more new music is unveiled before Aug. "Single" releases of Inv and/or Desc, album title, artwork, tracklisting, June setlists, fall tour announcement(?!), streaming updates, etc. are plenty to bide the time.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Boldizar wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am

Again let's do math...

Dude how many fucking times do you have to be told this is not a double album. Hellboy's sources have confirmed the album is not going to have a lot of songs but they will all be long. Moreover at some point I am fairly certain someone tweeted double album at Maynard and he shot it down. Bottom line if it was going to be a double I am 100% certain that Hellboy and likely Tool Archive would have heard about it by now.

Again, it is one single album, 5 or 6 songs, all over 10 minutes in length. What is the disconnect here? Why in the fuck are people getting all worked up over there only being 5 or 6 songs? They are all extremely long songs. We are going to get an album around the same length as Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Whether it is 5 songs or 6 what does is matter it is going to be likely close to 70 mins worth of music. Toss in Danny's synth thing and some segues and that will chew up the other 8-9 minutes.

How is 70 minutes worth of new music a let down? Fuck i couldn't care if it was literally one 70 minute long song. It is Tool and that shit is gonna be dope. We have already heard Descending and Invincible, both of which are absolutely fantastic.

As for a single there isn't going to be one. Again check out the Tool Archive vid with a discussion between sources the songs are all too long for a single. Every song on the album is over 10 minutes.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

A “single” can simply refer to an official release of the album-version at the band’s website or similar outlet. Radio airplay or iTunes or whatever stupidity constitutes a “single” nowadays need not apply.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Takeo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm A “single” can simply refer to an official release of the album-version at the band’s website or similar outlet. Radio airplay or iTunes or whatever stupidity constitutes a “single” nowadays need not apply.
About the best we can hope for is when the album becomes available digitally for pre-order that MAYBE they make Descending or Invincible available for purchase/download like most bands do on digital platforms with pre-orders on new albums but this is Tool we are talking about so I doubt it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Boldizar wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 am
I second this. The songs are clearly joined as Intension definitively fades into Right In Two. 10k Days in general has its songs arranged in pairs. Vicarious/Jambi are a pair of unrelated songs, Wings 1&2, LK/RS, I/RT, then the only outside is the Pot. It doesn't necessarily mean they are completely bound as with Disposition, but they are merged together.
I'm not saying they don't fade into each other, I just don't believe they are Part 1 and 2 of a song. Tracks fading into each other on albums isn't a particularly unusual occurance.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:40 pm
Takeo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm A “single” can simply refer to an official release of the album-version at the band’s website or similar outlet. Radio airplay or iTunes or whatever stupidity constitutes a “single” nowadays need not apply.
About the best we can hope for is when the album becomes available digitally for pre-order that MAYBE they make Descending or Invincible available for purchase/download like most bands do on digital platforms with pre-orders on new albums but this is Tool we are talking about so I doubt it.
I'm sure we'll get a preview of one of the tracks, probably Invincible I reckon prior to release. As pointed out, it won't be a release for radio (though I'm sure there's some rock focused stations that would play it). The release will be mostly for promotional and hype building reasons to build up the pre-sale market.

As to Tool "limiting" themselves to one CD - I don't imagine they really set out to do that while songwriting, but the reality for any musician releasing music is that the mediums you release on have limitations. The band would be very aware as they are writing songs how much they can fit on a CD, and for a band like Tool I have no doubt would take a quality of quantity view in regards to this.
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

As far as album lengths/double album stuff goes, current industry standards for sample rate & bit-depth in recording a different then they were for Tool's previous releases.

For example, Metallica's latest Hardwired... is 77 minutes long (12 songs), due to current, higher, sample rate and bit-depth it had to be spread over 2 discs. Their 1996 album, Load, is longer than Hardwired... at 78 minutes, but it fits on 1 disc.

Similarly, if Ænima (77minutes) or Lateralus (78minutes) were recorded and released today they'd probably have to be spread over 2 CD's.

Basically, if Tool's new album is in that runtime range it might have to be split just for that reason.

----
As far as Intension/Rightin Two, they're definitely part 1 & 2, IMO. Lyrically Intension is all about dawn of man stuff, humans becoming sentient. Then Ri2 is all lamenting the silly infighting these talking monkeys are doing.
The words "forge a blade" appear in both tracks.

----
As far as a pre-album release single, MJK mentioned a video on his February update. So I assume that a music video is on the way. Although whether that before or after the album comes out....
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm
hellboy wrote:
My bet is 5 "songs". As far as tracks go, I suspect 3 segues on top of that, and perhaps one or two of the "songs' broken into two parts. 10 "tracks" is my prediction
Ok, here we go:

Aenima - 15 tracks,
Lateralus - 13 tracks,
10K Days - 11 tracks,
new album - 9 tracks

That's my theory.

6 songs max
I said 9 tracks, not the actual 9 songs, keep that in mind, thank you)
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

--

I think Invincible and Descending are actually the curveball and won't be included in the album at all!

Now try to figure out how many songs will be on the album! Haha! :lol:
Professor of Lesbian Science
snazzl3frass
Has been
Height: Tall as fuck

Post by snazzl3frass »

nxrm wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 pm May Newsletter is up: https://toolband.com/news/2019/tool-newsletter-2/
I get the feeling I’ve been called out indirectly....

Hey HB why doesn’t BMB partake in 4theye? I’m sure we can play nice for a while. Oh, wait...
Nice couch. Fuck your couch.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

As far as album lengths/double album stuff goes, current industry standards for sample rate & bit-depth in recording a different then they were for Tool's previous releases.

For example, Metallica's latest Hardwired is 77 minutes long (12 songs), due to current, higher, sample rate and bit-depth it had to be spread over 2 discs. Their 1996 album, Load, is longer than Hardwired at 78 minutes, but it fits on 1 disc.
since when did CD's move to higher bitrates ? 16 bit WAV is CD quality. 16/44 is standard for cds.

24 bit at 44/48 or 96hz is a slightly newer option for buying music but they are not compatible with cd players. dvd players can play them but you have to burn them diff,never tried that but i do listen to 24 bit files on my comp though. point is no 24 bit files are sold on audio cds.

the double Metallica album on CD is 16/44. it could of fit on an 80 min disc no problem.

i just read a small article about it with James Hetfield and his answers are vague. “I think maximum is 75 or 80 minutes, and then the sound quality starts to suffer, on vinyl especially. I think CD-wise, there’s a max on that too.”' Haha. Ok James!!! sounds more like some way to get people to buy the CD cause its two discs/better value for $$, what a deal! Napster II !!

16 bit is 16 bit. a desperate attempt to sell cds seems more likely to me and coming from Metallica this seems very likely considering there past. geeze!
Last edited by bob on Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

ziggy23 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:08 pm
ziggy23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm
hellboy wrote:
My bet is 5 "songs". As far as tracks go, I suspect 3 segues on top of that, and perhaps one or two of the "songs' broken into two parts. 10 "tracks" is my prediction
Ok, here we go:

Aenima - 15 tracks,
Lateralus - 13 tracks,
10K Days - 11 tracks,
new album - 9 tracks

That's my theory.

6 songs max
I said 9 tracks, not the actual 9 songs, keep that in mind, thank you)
I am with you Zig...6 songs...1 Danny Synth thing...2 segues....9 tracks is spot on I think good sir
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Edited 3 times?

And “there past” didn’t rate an edit? Ok. I give up.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

snazzl3frass wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:34 pmHey HB why doesn’t BMB partake in 4theye? I’m sure we can play nice for a while. Oh, wait...
I've never asked him, but not sure Blair is really the forum participating type.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Kittaan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:48 am Edited 3 times?

And “there past” didn’t rate an edit? Ok. I give up.
at least your not yelling about it! lol. i never can get that right! :S
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Blair seems to have sprinkled some insider knowledge from this place before, as seen in the interview the admin of this place, bellshoy I think?

Anyways he probably doesn't read the forum just the front page news and the terrible discussions underneath.
Canned audience laughter
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Real talk: Rosetta Stoned is ruined by Maynard turning it into some sort comical recollection of a friends acid trip. Save the comedy for segues not 15 minute songs.

Also if Tools new album has the longest song ever than it must be longer than Lost Keys/Rosetta at 15 and Wings/10,000 at 17 minutes.
Canned audience laughter