Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by thekillingjoke »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am Can anyone tell what is going on with Danny's part during the verses? He's clearly keeping time in 3/4 on the wavedrum with his right hand, snare on 7 in the song's 7/8, with some bass drums around, but in between these things you hear percussion that sounds like it would be pad samples, but his hands clearly seem to be doing nothing else.
Can you give an exact timestamp?

Edit: The basic groove should be like this:
Bottom to top: Kick, Snare, Wavedrum.
The wavedrum goes in 3/16, so it kind of wanders across the groove over three bars (4 to 6), then it repeats.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

thekillingjoke wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 am
Boldizar wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am Can anyone tell what is going on with Danny's part during the verses? He's clearly keeping time in 3/4 on the wavedrum with his right hand, snare on 7 in the song's 7/8, with some bass drums around, but in between these things you hear percussion that sounds like it would be pad samples, but his hands clearly seem to be doing nothing else.
Can you give an exact timestamp?

Edit: The basic groove should be like this:

Bottom to top: Kick, Snare, Wavedrum.
The wavedrum goes in 3/16, so it kind of wanders across the groove over three bars (4 to 6), then it repeats.
You can watch at 2:00. There are subdivision hits laced throughout the groove that sound higher pitched than the bass drum. I guess he could be playing some melody on the bass drums, but it really doesn't sound like it.

Edit: Around three minutes is a good spot because the video focuses on him. There are noises ringing out that it doesn't look like he's playing. Initially I though the wavedrum just had a multi note hit like in Jambi, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm You can watch at 2:00. There are subdivision hits laced throughout the groove that sound higher pitched than the bass drum. I guess he could be playing some melody on the bass drums, but it really doesn't sound like it.

Edit: Around three minutes is a good spot because the video focuses on him. There are noises ringing out that it doesn't look like he's playing. Initially I though the wavedrum just had a multi note hit like in Jambi, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
To me the pattern from my image checks out, and I don't hear anything more than he can be seen playing. Maybe the wandering wavedrum gives this kind of illusion that more is happening, because sometimes you have three strokes (kick, snare, wave) in quick succession and different variations. There's also some slapback echo involved from the venue.

He also does have one or two midi trigger pedals for additional sounds, but I don't think they are involved here.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

thekillingjoke wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:14 pm
Boldizar wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm You can watch at 2:00. There are subdivision hits laced throughout the groove that sound higher pitched than the bass drum. I guess he could be playing some melody on the bass drums, but it really doesn't sound like it.

Maybe the wandering wavedrum gives this kind of illusion that more is happening, because sometimes you have three strokes (kick, snare, wave) in quick succession and different variations.

These were the same two thoughts I had regarding the matter. I will have to listen to some other recordings or wait for the CD.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I just saw over on reddit that Adam was playing a new riff over the 3rd verse/chorus section of Invincible last night (Guitar and drums, bass and drums, then all three). It felt to me as if Maynard should have some response roll to the guitar and ending cadence of Descending and it is odd he never returns. Given these two things and how Descending was formerly in "trailer" form, I wonder if there is really merit to this idea that the performances are not the entirely true songs.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Nah both songs should be pretty much the same on the album come August 30. I agree with you though in that it would be somewhat nice if Maynard could somehow come back towards the end of Descending to add a climactic lyrical verse but I guess he already does that with the "Stay. Alive." bit early on followed by his final line "...walk in order" around the 5:30 mark. That feels like a strong lyrical finish and contribution right there; it just so happens that the song continues for another 6 or so minutes without him.

I like his final bit in Invincible though; that feels right to me. The more I listen to both new songs the more I am enjoying them. Feels similar to how I first listened to Reflection back in 2001... and even Pushit and Third Eye way back in the day (pretty much all of 1997).
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Hmmm
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Danny wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am So did they really play that ABBA song?
Of course they didn't, it was just blasted through the speakers right after the show has ended. And yes, it was soooo tough to listen to ABBA after the Tool, lol.
- You like noisy music?
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I definitely dig that new little addition Adam threw in. I don't think it's too crazy to wonder if we'll get a few little surprises like that on the studio recording.

Now that I've listened to Descending thoroughly, I can see why Maynard doesn't return in the second half. There's no room for him. Maybe he could do something over the long, quiet section, but after that the other guys just go off in a bunch of directions.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Pfffft, the old Maynard would have just done a 5 minute scream
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Professional photos from Prague gig

https://www.ireport.cz/fotoreporty/tool ... iho-metalu

- You like noisy music?
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

mattw wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:40 pm Nah both songs should be pretty much the same on the album come August 30.
I'm telling you guys that those songs will not be on the new album! :lol:

Professor of Lesbian Science
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

LMAO
- You like noisy music?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Last night was awesome. The new songs are rad af. Totally worth it. They play something between cctrip and vicarious for a couple mins I think it’s part of a new song check it out
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

so they heard other new songs backstage ? a nice vague way to say that there, Adi.

anyone know who those other people are ? never seen them before. cool alien shirt, i think.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Had quite a unique view - sat in an empty area by myself almost behind the stage on a balcony - security were cool with it. Went to say hi to junior after but they’d roped off the GA floor by the time I got down.
Attachments
D6346A6D-F539-4B89-8D4F-849EABB66662.jpeg
D6346A6D-F539-4B89-8D4F-849EABB66662.jpeg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
FECCDB1C-45EC-4761-8A15-25D34C74164A.jpeg
FECCDB1C-45EC-4761-8A15-25D34C74164A.jpeg (115.82 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

That's cool as fuck, I thought about doing that myself here in Oz but me and security don't get on most of the time.
Canned audience laughter
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Vienna was superb. Great sound quality, great visuals. Been loving the setlist as well. Intolerance killed it! ps. is there some good footage of those giant silk screens? those looked awesome!

Danny Carey btw is in better shape than some high school football player. his performance can't be topped. kudos
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

:No no no Lukas he's nearly 60 and can't keep up. Ask Mog he'll tell ya all about eh Mog? :lol:
Listen to All Them Witches
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

inequitude wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:37 am Went to say hi to junior after but they’d roped off the GA floor by the time I got down.
Yeah. They get that rope thing going quickly at Stadthalle.
I remember that from 6 years ago when I was there.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

hellboy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm Love the pulsing heptagram? made by the lights at the 10 minute mark - never noticed this before:

That song is still a little different from night to night. Still trying to make something permanent for it.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

Junior, is it you?
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

inequitude wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:37 am Had quite a unique view - sat in an empty area by myself almost behind the stage on a balcony - security were cool with it. Went to say hi to junior after but they’d roped off the GA floor by the time I got down.
Sounds like a very cool experience. What was the sound like from that area though?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

inequitude wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 am Last night was awesome. The new songs are rad af. Totally worth it. They play something between cctrip and vicarious for a couple mins I think it’s part of a new song check it out
Got any footage of this?

Adam played a clean strumming part back when he streamed vicarious I wonder if it is that same riff.

The new part Adam plays in invincible is awesome this is so exciting!