Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Movies, TV and other video based media
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Seems like a lot of people here are fans.  Figured it was worth it's own thread. 

This thread will probably contain spoilers.
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

The TV series is excellent.  The first three books are great.  Book four, A Feast for Crows, is fucking terrible.  Book five, A Dance with Dragons, is fucking terrible.  Martin lost the story.  Have no idea how he is going to manage to pull it all back together in the last two books.  A perfect example of an Epic Fantasy grown too large.  Not sure how HBO is going to handle the series in about two seasons.  Essentially this season is basically A Storm of Swords.  So they have two more seasons before they hit the OH SHIT zone where Martin has not finished the story and they are going to have to take it in a completely different direction.  At that point they cannot tell the story Martin is writing as that would piss off the fan base to the point of not even buying the final two books whenever they do actually get finished.  Martin should be a case study for up and coming Spec Fiction authors on what to do, and what not to do, when writing an Epic Fantasy.

So in summation, HBO Series = Groovy

A Song of Ice and Fire up to Book 5 = Meh
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Looks like I'm late to the party. I've never watched this show but I hear good things. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

OK, saw S3E02 today and it's definitely getting better.  Still love the casting.  The newly introduced characters are not disappointing.  The way the story diverges from the book at points, and explores some tangents, is piquing my interest.  I know there are some die hards who are outraged, but I am digging it.

Anyone else?
Ki77aan :twisted:
phox_
Has been

Post by phox_ »

I watch it.  Episode 3 is the best so far this season, but I won't spoil it.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

phox_ said
I watch it.  Episode 3 is the best so far this season, but I won't spoil it.

Yep, just watched 3.  It's back to form.  Love the Podrick scene. 8`)
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said
OK, saw S3E02 today and it's definitely getting better.  Still love the casting.  The newly introduced characters are not disappointing.  The way the story diverges from the book at points, and explores some tangents, is piquing my interest.  I know there are some die hards who are outraged, but I am digging it.

Anyone else?

Thank fucking god they are diverging.  They have to set up for season four so it is actually interesting as A Feast for Crows is a fucking piece of shit.  At this point the HBO series has FAR SURPASSED the books.  A Song of Ice and Fire is one big messy clusterfuck.  I could write a fucking dissertation on how badly off track this story has gotten.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I thought they were splitting book 3 into season 3 and 4.  Which would mean we won't get the red wedding for quite some time!
sacredfire
Bronco's Fan

Post by sacredfire »

Absolutely love this show, series 3 has been very welcome after the finale of Walking Dead S3 left me disappointed. I've got the books but I've been holding off reading them because I don't want them to spoil the show.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yep, S3 started shaky for me, but is back to great form.  They continue to cast this show so damn well, which really makes all the difference.

@ Kat  - not sure if they are going to milk it like that, but I could see it.  They just foreshadowed the Red Wedding big time in last Sunday's ep with Rob and the Frey boys meeting at Riverrun.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

This is what George R.R. Martin says the Iron Throne REALLY looks like.

Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Because I'm a million years behind everyone else, I just finished the season last weekend.

Holy fuck. Red Wedding. Holy holy holy fucking fuck.

Fuck.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Did you not read the books?  That was my reaction when I first read that chapter.  I stayed up all night.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Nah, but I'll get around to it eventually. Got them loaded on my tablet already, come to think of it.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Kittaan »

Finally coming back in April. Can't wait.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I have about 1,600 pages to read by then.

Doable.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

SPOILERS:

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Just started "A STORM OF SWORDS".

I really need to set aside regular time every day to read. Lately I've been back on doing crosswords before bed, when normally I'd read.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

A fun little time waster for the Game of Thrones fans.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/game-of- ... rinks.html
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

"For too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons." Tyrion

Tyrion didn't foresee the internet.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

This show is really testing me.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote:This show is really testing me.
Do elaborate.

I appreciate the minor twists and turns the HBO series has taken away from the book's story line. Some "purists" can't stand it, but it makes it so much more interesting to not be certain what comes next.

The casting remains excellent. It's clear they really take their time and get that right, which drives everything else.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

With each successive "twist" and "shock death," I just increasingly feel like that is ALL there is to this thing. A real dumb, one-trick pony. Yes, attempting to be noble will get you killed and how in Westeros. I FUCKING GET IT. IT IS BORING NOW. COME UP WITH A NEW TRICK.

And all of that would be fine. I am, after all, watching a trashy soap opera set in a fantasy landscape. I always knew that. But if you're going to continue to kill off the most interesting and fun characters on the show, you have to REPLACE THEM WITH BETTER ALTERNATIVES! It's not about good guys losing or anything like that. It's just how at this point, I really feel we're increasingly left with the 2nd and 3rd string as they keep killing off good characters.

People always come back to me with, "well, you're watching the wrong show if you think people won't die!" Yeah. Great. It was a really neat trick the first few times! Ned Stark was shocking and amazing because you don't see that kind of thing often. It's ballsy. Now it's a cheap parlor trick, doubly so when it's done in such a cheap way like last night.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants wrote:But if you're going to continue to kill off the most interesting and fun characters on the show, you have to REPLACE THEM WITH BETTER ALTERNATIVES!
This is one of my main criticisms of the last couple of books. GRRM has killed off so many interesting characters, and for the most part the replacements just aren't as interesting. Personally I think there will be a reasonable drop in interest in the TV shows over the next couple of seasons.