Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
mattw
Geacon

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by mattw »

Yeah the audio isn't the best Reflection live clip we have and Maynard doesn't sound as good in that clip as he does in other Reflection clips but I love how Adam just lets it go on and on and on into their intermission back then... it was the perfect song to go into a break with and then return with Triad, especially when Triad went for like 10 minutes or more. See the 1:18:45 mark here:

This tour had me so intrigued back then. I'd only heard Aenima as teenager as was obviously a huge fan but also very curious as to what this band was and how they created such different sounding music. I was perplexed by the variety of song structures and track lengths. My 13 year old brain found a 13 minute track (Third Eye) hard to process on first listen... Eulogy and Pushit too. So when Reflection (11 minutes on its own) came along in 2001 I was so stoked that TOOL were continuing with their longer, expansive, progressive tracks and not just sticking to your typical 3 or 4 minute radio singles.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Favorite memory of a D/R/T live performance was when I first heard it August 11th, 2001. Disposition was nearing its end with Danny doing his slow down tempo tom bit, and there is this drunk fan doing his whole “Toooooooooooooool, fucking Tooooooooool” bit from the peanut gallery, and MJK cuts in with a crisp, “Shut up.” They were there presenting a brand new piece of music on their terms. The musicianship at that moment deserved the respect of the audience, and MJK was having none of that fan’s drunk nonsense.
“Casual Fan”
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

mattw wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:45 am I was perplexed by the variety of song structures and track lengths. My 13 year old brain found a 13 minute track (Third Eye) hard to process on first listen... Eulogy and Pushit too. So when Reflection (11 minutes on its own) came along in 2001 I was so stoked that TOOL were continuing with their longer, expansive, progressive tracks and not just sticking to your typical 3 or 4 minute radio singles.
Same here except Eulogy. When Lateralus came out I was still to young to process the longer songs so Aenima still resonated with me more. The anger, short attention span all that shit you have in your teens years. But Lateralus really helped with that and the more I delved into the album it clearly became my favorite. I almost didn't like Push It and Third Eye during my teen years now have which become some of my favorite tunes.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yes, similar experience for me. My older brother had made a tape (that's right, cassette tape) of rock songs that included stuff like Metallica (Enter Sandman), some Pearl Jam tracks (Jeremy? Even Flow?), Smashing Pumpkins and so on but there were two tracks that always caught my attention: STINKFIST and FORTY SIX & TWO

Who was this band? Why did they name their songs like that? What other songs do they have? I'll never forget listening to Aenima and genuinely being puzzled by it all. Eulogy is track 2 but it exceeds 8 minutes? I didn't know you were allowed to do that on a cd. Seriously; as a young teenager you sometimes just accept the world as its presented and I just assumed songs had to be of a certain length.

That mix-tape would be great to find right now. The only non-Tool song on there that I always loved as a kid (and still do now as an adult) was Soundgarden's Jesus Christ Pose... mainly due to the pace and Chris Cornell's vocals. He was amazing :)
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Bill Hilly wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:49 am Right on Jackob! I haven't heard from Specter yet, but I'd bet that he's going to hang in there too.
I’m still waiting with you, brother Bill!
Not too much longer now. Cheers!
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Tool are trending on twitter because of the back catalog going online.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Moridin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:03 am Tool are trending on twitter because of the back catalog going online.
Yeah. Some great tweets out there.
“Casual Fan”
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 pm When any other band has a worldwide release date it's online for us in the am Friday Aus time. Tools just gotta be different of course.

I don't care per say , have their music on my phone anyway just pointing out the slackness
Smaller bands sure, but I've noticed big bands tend to go for simultaeneous worldwide releases.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

jackob2545 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 am Arent videos technically “watching” not “listening” :lol:

Stay strong. We’ve come this far to break now. Imagine how sweet it’ll be in just a few short weeks to blast this new stuff completely blind! Something so rare in today’s society.

I think the new HD releases will suffice 29 days.
Yeah, the Vicarious video wasn't released until December 2007, so I'd be really surprised if a video is ready to go for Fear Inoculum before August 30th.

Four weeks from today! :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
GabesCaves
My pain is just an excuse

Post by GabesCaves »

Moridin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:03 am Tool are trending on twitter because of the back catalog going online.
Tool trending on twitter but not on fourtheye
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

mattw wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:04 am ^Nice observation of the contrast between the two tracks.

Reflection had me hooked back in the day; I just kept listening to it over and over again. When I first heard Lateralus, I loved The Grudge, Schism and Lateralus as individual songs but Reflection and the whole D/R/T thing kept going through my head. Seeing it live was sick:

This clip features Adam Jones playing the last bit over and over again for 4 extra minutes... it pretty much reflects (again, pun intended) what my brain was doing back in the day... and notice the horizontal shifting repeat image projected in the video screens behind the band. Something deep is elicited here :)
Wow. That takes me right back to Berkeley, 2001. What an amazing gig. Crimson opening for Tool was so mind boggling, having been a KC fan for decades longer than Tool at that point. Their whole vibe was intense. Wish I could transport myself back there to experience it again....
Ki77aan :twisted:
cahernandez
My pain is just an excuse

Post by cahernandez »

mattw wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:45 am Yeah the audio isn't the best Reflection live clip we have and Maynard doesn't sound as good in that clip as he does in other Reflection clips but I love how Adam just lets it go on and on and on into their intermission back then... it was the perfect song to go into a break with and then return with Triad, especially when Triad went for like 10 minutes or more. See the 1:18:45 mark here:

This tour had me so intrigued back then. I'd only heard Aenima as teenager as was obviously a huge fan but also very curious as to what this band was and how they created such different sounding music. I was perplexed by the variety of song structures and track lengths. My 13 year old brain found a 13 minute track (Third Eye) hard to process on first listen... Eulogy and Pushit too. So when Reflection (11 minutes on its own) came along in 2001 I was so stoked that TOOL were continuing with their longer, expansive, progressive tracks and not just sticking to your typical 3 or 4 minute radio singles.
Thanks for posting the audio for the concert! It brought me back memories to my 2002 show, in Laredo TX. It was SEVENTEEN years ago, and I'm 34 now. That show was half of my life ago, and it's still the best show I've seen of ANY band. Great memories. Right before the lead up to the album announcement I wasn't listening to a lot of Tool but after the Descending/Invincible debut in Charlottesville I've been binging on Tool...good times :)
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Anyone notice they cut off the 2 minutes of silence after Triad. At least on Spotify. I got so used to having that and kind of appreciated a moment of silence after the mind fuck of the album, before The Voice of God speaks. It's cool to hear it go straight into Faaip though..
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

While most "Top 10" anything lists are very opinion based... I feel as though this "Top 10 Essential Tool Tracks" is insane for leaving Lateralus off.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/10 ... -right-now
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

children wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:02 am Anyone notice they cut off the 2 minutes of silence after Triad. At least on Spotify. I got so used to having that and kind of appreciated a moment of silence after the mind fuck of the album, before The Voice of God speaks. It's cool to hear it go straight into Faaip though..
Man.... Triad is so fucking good. Doesnt get the credit it deserves.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 am While most "Top 10" anything lists are very opinion based... I feel as though this "Top 10 Essential Tool Tracks" is insane for leaving Lateralus off.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/10 ... -right-now
Agreed. Any top 10 that doesnt have Lateralus in it, is incorrect.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Lateralus should be a core song to any 10 essential or top tool songs list.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Was it ever mentioned that on the new Opiate cover there are 7 of the little priests floating around. Kinda cool for continuity with Fear Inoc, I suppose. There is really 7 songs on Opiate too, if you count Gaping Lotus Experience as separate, which I do. 7 deadly sins. 7 chakras. 7 days of the week. What else is there 7 of?
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

7 dwarfs
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Blake's 7
7 of 9
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

7 days in a week!

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
MobileVortex
RIP

Post by MobileVortex »

ROY G BIV
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Rainbow, of course!
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

One, two, three, four, five, six, Seven
All good children go to Heaven

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

A cat that has already had a few close calls has 7 lives!