Fear Inoculum

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Busty McCracken »

Snuck in a listen before bed last night and didn't know what to think. Have still just had the one listen and will get to my second once I'm properly awake and this migraine is gone.

Drums and bass as expected were amazing, guitar I was a little surprised with the choices and ETE vocal style did throw me off a little also considering they were nowhere to be heard on live versions of Invincible/ Descending.

To me it's not the pressure of 13 years working against this song but the fact that it's the title track. Their entire catalogue, the title track for me holds up as some of their greatest pieces so my expectations are huge on this.

And I think that's what's thrown me. The title track of their albums has almost been like an epicentre of the entire album in the past like the albun has built up to that particular song. Where as I view this more as the set up for what is to come. If I'm right on that, it makes perfect sense why its been chosen as song one and will make much more sense once heard in the context of the full album for which I am very fucking excited to hear what comes next.

In summary... NEW FUCKING TOOL .. YEWWWWWW
Listen to All Them Witches
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

I find I dig this significantly more with good headphones and after smoking a bowl.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Listened to it 3 times back to back and very loud in the car on the way to work, it is awesome. Each subsequent listen it just got better and better. For me the EtE thing faded into obscurity and it just started sounding amazing. I am locking in to listen to it all day today.
Be good to each other.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

liz wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:04 pm
M0G wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm
Tool_User wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:46 pm

I bet they would of laughed their arses off you limp noodle dick
Don't do that. He has the right to be underwhelmed. It took me 20 listens to get this song. Everyone has different tastes it does no good taking a dig at someone for feeling differently. Let's keep things in context. It is music and is incredibly subjective.
When you wish to send the band a personal message of your indifference (which is arguably the worst criticism) you belong on the grudge thread.
I/we love Tool more than any other band, still considering all the amazing musicians out there.
Tool have a very unique and strange way of marketing in basically starving their fans/keeping their expectations ultra-high for any little bit they publish, be it high quality or not.
I have no doubt that it works for them (and I still love them, just to say) but they and any other person have to accept that I or we may not be sooooo much overwhelmed by their new stuff as they might have thought. That's just reality.

PS: Sorry for any linguistical mistakes. I would love to write it down much better, but getting to my limits...
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Anyone else notice that little sound effect in Fear Inoculum around 0:32 & 0:48 is the same as the one used at various times in Descending? More specifically, around 1:06 & 1:16 in the live debut at Welcome to Rockville. I knew it sounded familiar.

Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

A clap with a delay effect? Guess Danny plays it via Mandala.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

Holy shit I can not wait! I've been listening to this ALL DAY LONG!!!! Ha ha! The more I listen the more I LOVE IT!!! Some of these people who don't like this song are either listening to this on their shitty ass phones or computer monitor speakers, lol. I know, cuz my$400 phone speaker sounds like shit! This song is on repeat and no one is touching this dial! This sounds absolutely incredible in my car full blast! I am completely sold on this album!
I was already floored with I&D! This song sounds like it's building up to the next song (in good ol Tool fashion). I've never been let down by Tool. And this, my new friends, is their best. The production is nearly perfect!
I've gotta cut this post on half, lol. I'll post my thoughts on Justin Danny and Adam later
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Guys imagine this being the first TOOL song you listened to! I hope these kids can wrap their head around it! I’m sure they’ll be fine
All well Whatever, Nevermind
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Given that it was 10pm here last night and other people were around, I couldn't really crank up my stereo when listening to it the first few times... but I did immediately lock into something deep and mysterious going on.

However, after playing it 3 times straight on my full car stereo on the drive to work today I fucking love it!! It sounds fantastic on a proper sound system turned up loud with no other surrounding distractions etc.

I think Fear Inoculum into Descending into Invincible (see the track list/times post above) is a bloody good start to this new album if they really are tracks 1, 2 and 3.

Now I have to work for 8 hours with a busy day before I can consume it again nice and loud :)

Enjoy!!
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Digging the part when Maynard sings “you spectacle” and his voice kind of fades out and away while lowering his tone. I picture his voice traveling down that blue spiral! This video will amaze!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I love the "Exhale, expel..." vocals over the guitars parts. I know it's only early and an initial reaction, but I really dig the lyrics here with regard to what I think he's talking about and the album title/concept. His vocals and lyrics really complement the song without taking over... well-placed vocals and lyrics given how the track unfurls/unfolds etc.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2432 ... r-Inoculum

$179.99 :lol: get the fuck out of here

The new track sounds amazing at work through headphones and Google Play.
Canned audience laughter
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

tys0n wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2432 ... r-Inoculum

Yeah, but it was was $199.99 so it's a discounted better deal! Haha!
Professor of Lesbian Science
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

tys0n wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2432 ... r-Inoculum

It's fucked ai. It's great for collectors but bit of a spit in the face for fans who still like to support the artist with a physical purchase. Can't I get the version without the vacuum cleaner and set of steak knives for a more reasonable $40 or something?
Listen to All Them Witches
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

-
It's going to be interesting to see the sales numbers for the albums.
Professor of Lesbian Science
SoMuchChub
My pain is just an excuse

Post by SoMuchChub »

There's a good reason Sanity is failing. I'm pretty sure they still charge $30 for DVD's. Don't buy it from them.

The song isn't for me, sounded very similar to the other two I thought but I'm glad others are enjoying it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

The last thing I needed to see this morning was Jimmy Barnes fucking face, sheesh
Canned audience laughter
Baahumbug
Fanboi
Height: 6’1

Post by Baahumbug »

Danny Carey
My lord he’s awesome
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Alright I’ll say it Fear Inoculum is a better song than Stinkfist Schism and Vicarious all bring the first “single” off each corresponding album.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

Is there a difference between the 50$ package as compared to the 170$ package? I bought the one off the amazon site ….. did I miss something?
go taff!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

budsyralli wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:44 pm Is there a difference between the 50$ package as compared to the 170$ package? I bought the one off the amazon site ….. did I miss something?
No difference, just shitty Australia retailers trying to take us for a ride. I don't mind supporting local record stores, but so far getting it from Amazon US is so much cheaper it's stupid.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ah found one, these guys are worth your business: https://www.nervegas.com.au/tool-fear-i ... edition-cd

$92 is much more reasonable
bhatpat
Maynard Believer

Post by bhatpat »

Took a few listens to get into it. Mainly I was caught up on the vocals, but I was too when I heard descending and invincible. Over the past 7 years or so we’ve been able to see how the band evolved their sound instrumentally with little bits and pieces of live jams. Meanwhile Maynard’s evolution hasn’t been as well documented within Tool. So I reminded myself of this and had a few more listens. Overall I’m really into it. If the album flows as nicely as some are hinting at it should be epic.

My one complaint is the last minute and a half, which I love. After the leaked loft jam a while back I was really hoping that was the basis for a fleshed out song, not just a part of one. Can’t wait for 8/30.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Just gonna say I think purchasing this new song for $1.69 on iTunes last night is one of the best value for money purchases I've ever made.

And the whole album is only $19.95 :)

I would've paid more given the 13 years and the fact it's TOOL

Life is beautiful
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

hellboy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:09 pm
budsyralli wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:44 pm Is there a difference between the 50$ package as compared to the 170$ package? I bought the one off the amazon site ….. did I miss something?
No difference, just shitty Australia retailers trying to take us for a ride. I don't mind supporting local record stores, but so far getting it from Amazon US is so much cheaper it's stupid.
Unless these price points were just doled out incorrectly, I am almost certain the prices are high because suppliers are being forced to import North American supplies, rather than being offered their own local supply. They pay USD $45 plus shipping then charge the area based off that.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.