word salad
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ziggy23 »

Too long didn't read
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Mog did request that I go into detail about my opinions. He knew what would happen, blame him..
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Post by St. Troy »

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm Too long didn't read
When the limited identify themselves, we all win. :lol:
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I thought it was a good read. I did laugh a little at Ziggy's tldr comment, because he says a lot with very few words most of the time.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

children wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 pm Mog did request that I go into detail about my opinions. He knew what would happen, blame him..
I actually really liked this response. Shows he knows Mogs trolling but he gave his answer anyway. Kudos to you children.

I think people's biggest problem is that they are unable to separate their prior love from something and have to compare too it. They judge things against prior works that can be 20 + years older.

I tend to just look at things without bias as best I can and ask myself do I like it.

So question for those not loving FI. If Tool never existed and this was their debut song. You just listened to it for the first time. What would your reaction be?
Listen to All Them Witches
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Nice question! That’s the same issue with 10k days. Excellent album! Just happened to have two of the greatest rock albums of all time out before it.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

earthrocker wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm
Awesome thx! Placed an order. Pretty cheap too!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

I agree about the lack of dynamics in the song. I really enjoy it through the second chorus but then continually grow bored. Each time I pretend the solo will soar at the end, but it never really clicks. There’s no crescendo.

I do like it better than Wings..
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Turns out Tool waited the perfect amount of time to go digital. Who else gets the same albums charting twice?
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Boldizar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 am Turns out Tool waited the perfect amount of time to go digital. Who else gets the same albums charting twice?
It has happened a lot over the years, albums reentering the charts after years of release.
I forgot my pen
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Danny wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 am
Boldizar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 am Turns out Tool waited the perfect amount of time to go digital. Who else gets the same albums charting twice?
It has happened a lot over the years, albums reentering the charts after years of release.
But all of them at once?
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Boldizar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 am
But all of them at once?
You got me there, of course not all of them at once, that must be a new record😉.
I forgot my pen
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Danny wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:19 am

You got me there, of course not all of them at once, that must be a new record😉.
PUUUUUUUUN!!!!
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Post by St. Troy »

Boldizar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 am
But all of them at once?
Not that it's the same thing, but I think I heard that all of Pink Floyd's pre-Dark Side albums sold more copies in the year immediately following Dark Side's release than before.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Intended
I forgot my pen
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Metal Injection (blah):
Come back on Wednesday for a track-by-track review of the album.
https://metalinjection.net/its-just-bus ... es-history
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Fuck
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

so you think they will give out the tracklist?
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I would imagine. Maybe the the unboxing drops as well.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

children wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:49 pm Not taking anything personally. Not angry. I think people are really quick to criticize based on their immediate reaction, and that reaction seems to usually be negative.

Again, that is my opinion. It's ok to have a negative opinion, even I do sometimes, but if you find yourself being disappointed constantly it has to be exhausting. Maybe, just maybe, your opinion is a fluid thing that will change later on, and maybe not, who knows.

With 10,000 Days, I don't even think of it in terms of being better or worse or how it's mixed or anything like that. People try to prove factually that it's inferior by looking at the levels and claiming it should be within a certain range or whatever, but I just go by how the music makes me feel and try to grasp what the band was going for and see what the band sees in their own work. It's a very different sounding record than anything else, and I see leaps and bounds in the bands chemistry and in the way the instruments all work together in the performances.

In that regard I think 10k is better just because the band was better at their craft. Doesn't mean it's better in every single way because obviously Lateralis is as perfect of an album as you can get. That's kind of the point of 10k to me is that it is meant to be a difficult listen.

The subject matter is the total opposite of Lateralus and the sound of the music and the flow reflects that. I mean they have an 18 minute song about death as the third track. The whole concept is about humanity having to go through darkness to survive; it wouldn't have fit the concept if it was as easy as a listen as Lateralus, which was super shiny and bright and positive for the most part.

I understand that people don't like the production and all that on 10k but the band specifically wanted to retain the dynamics between the instruments, which was somewhat lost on Lateralus in my opinion. Clearly the band wanted a less sterile sound, and yes Lateralus sounds sterile and almost too perfect and overproduced, but it works for that record. It would not have worked for 10k, so they made the right choice for it to be more raw and gritty. I think the bass and drums have more warmth and clarity on 10k, and I get the feeling that I am there in the room with them playing live.

All of Tool's albums take time to adjust because they each occupy a different space. Each album suits a certain mood. Fear Inoc will occupy its own as we already know based on the new title track, and I think this new sound is them trying to recreate their live sound even more than they ever have done before. Danny's drums sound closer to the live sound than on any other record. His snare and toms and bass drum have a very particular sound live that is very difficult to capture and they got pretty damn close to my ears.

My OPINION is that maybe our ears will need to adjust to this new foreign sound and that seeing the new songs live IN PERSON may allow our minds to tune in to a frequency above our station because sometimes our first impressions are wrong and we need to withhold judgement, which I know is extremely hard for some of us to do, isn't that right , Mog?
Good post I actually read the entire thing. I get where you are coming from. Again I do think you are wasting energy getting upset when others are critical of Tool but I also understand how much Tool means to you and I respect that as well.

As for withholding judgement I tend to agree. Fear Inoculum is a song that I despised the first number of listens so absolutely impulse responses are not always correct. That is why I stepped away after my initial response was so negative and came back to it with a different perspective. I am certainly glad I did as it is an absolutely fantastic song and a great way to start the new album.

In terms of production something I spoke about in Discord that everyone needs to remember is Tool ultimately decides how they want their albums to sound. Blaming Joe for any production issue is a waste of time. Joe is no better or worse than Bottril or Massey. They obviously have their own opinions on how they would like certain things to sound and give recommendations but at the end of the day all mix decisions are entirely up to Tool.

Again good post well written and I enjoyed reading it.

Have a fantastic day
The most intelligent person on this forum
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 pm
I went to four fuckin stores yesterday looking for this but couldn't find it. I think I'll have to take a trip Barnes n' Noble.
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I have been calling B&N (the only retailer around who would have it) for two weeks and gave up once the online ordering went up.

Also, this was shared on r**dit: https://dropupload.com/U39/Guitar_World ... r_2019.pdf

Or just the meat: https://docdro.id/U3SyfGK

Of the 3, Revolver is the only one I haven't ordered. Can't decided on the standard or ridiculously over priced box. Looks nice, and would be nice if it wasn't so inflated in price.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Guitar World hit the stands here in Beirut, i’m gonna pick one up tomorrow. I’m passing on the Revolver but will get the Kerrang.
I forgot my pen