Tool concept album?

The Main Event
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Tool concept album?

Post by St. Troy »

Ok...

I've posed this question online somewhere before, not on this forum (I think), but apologies if this is a repeat...

Does anyone recall anything like this:

Years ago, maybe 2 or 3 years after 10,000 Days was released, I remember reading an interview with Danny in which he was asked how long it would be until the next album was done, and his response was something like (and this is definitely not a direct quote, I'm just going by memory) "that depends on what we do, because we've had a concept we could use on an album, like our version of The Wall, and if we go that route, it will take longer." Needless to say, I was immediately intrigued by the possibility of a Tool concept album, but I've never heard this mentioned by anyone again, and whenever I've posed the question, no one has known about it.

This would seem to be the place to ask, so...does anyone know anything about this???

(FYI: I'm aware that we could consider some of their work "concept albums," but they haven't done one with a narrative (a la The Wall or Quadrophenia, what I would call a "Level 1 concept album"), which is what I believe Danny was referring to (I recall that he specifically mentioned The Wall as an example)).
I ain't no pervert; I was just born curious.

I'm your friendly neighborhood peeping Tom.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: Tool concept album?

Post by Busty McCracken »

Danny also said the album would be out in 2011... and then 2013... and I'm pretty sure 2016 was another quote. He's not the most reliable of sources when it comes to the band is What I'm saying.

Plus considering the quotes saying this new album has been attempted to be written as one big song, couldn't that be considered a concept album?
Listen to All Them Witches
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Danny being optimistic while answering the album release date question doesn’t make him an unreliable source imo.

If he gave out information about a concept album and mentioned The Wall then i bet the band discussed concept album ideas.

I don’t think FI can be considered a concept album. Also releasing a concept album after a 13 year old drought wouldn’t be a popular idea but Tool tend to do whatever they want,also it would have been a big FU to their record company because record companies hate concept albums.
I forgot my pen
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

8 years wrong is optimistic ?? Justin said in kerrang they didn't start writing until 2014 and the first track completed was descending only a few years ago.. he should be a god damn motivational speaker with that kinda optimism
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

They say what they say. I feel so far, this is their project that they have always been talking about. Why else would they preview descending all those years ago? Someone just posted some other Adam riffs that may be the segue before descending so who knows. Very similar in style. If it is I’ll be pumped cuz it sounded great. I think this is their same material just revisited with their renewed hunger to put it out.

Looking at it from a guitar perspective, the three tracks do feel connected. I’m thinking this could be their concept album. Sounds of waves on the beach? Sign me up.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Sounds of tumbleweeds tumblin’
Ki77aan :twisted:
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

rshforgothispw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:03 pm They say what they say. I feel so far, this is their project that they have always been talking about. Why else would they preview descending all those years ago? Someone just posted some other Adam riffs that may be the segue before descending so who knows. Very similar in style. If it is I’ll be pumped cuz it sounded great. I think this is their same material just revisited with their renewed hunger to put it out.

Looking at it from a guitar perspective, the three tracks do feel connected. I’m thinking this could be their concept album. Sounds of waves on the beach? Sign me up.
Concept confirmed, even has the exact same run time :shock:

Canned audience laughter
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

What about when Justin mentioned they were working on the biggest 'project' of their lives.
go taff!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Well considering this took 13 years, wouldn't that be construed as biggest project of their lives? Apart from that one time Maynard was constipated for 14 years of course.

I don't get these kind of questions. I understand your love and curiosity .... but 13 years... 13 long arse years we have waited and here we are... Finally. It's like Christmas for a tool fan at the moment. Streaming online , top of the charts , 2 weeks til the album drops, new song released... impending world tour.... is this not enough for you??
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

I think its fucking great news. Really hoping to catch a show this coming tour.
go taff!
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

St. Troy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:43 am Ok...

I've posed this question online somewhere before, not on this forum (I think), but apologies if this is a repeat...

Does anyone recall anything like this:

Years ago, maybe 2 or 3 years after 10,000 Days was released, I remember reading an interview with Danny in which he was asked how long it would be until the next album was done, and his response was something like (and this is definitely not a direct quote, I'm just going by memory) "that depends on what we do, because we've had a concept we could use on an album, like our version of The Wall, and if we go that route, it will take longer." Needless to say, I was immediately intrigued by the possibility of a Tool concept album, but I've never heard this mentioned by anyone again, and whenever I've posed the question, no one has known about it.

This would seem to be the place to ask, so...does anyone know anything about this???

(FYI: I'm aware that we could consider some of their work "concept albums," but they haven't done one with a narrative (a la The Wall or Quadrophenia, what I would call a "Level 1 concept album"), which is what I believe Danny was referring to (I recall that he specifically mentioned The Wall as an example)).
So I have been thinking about this and the sort of on again off again maybe video maybe not. I am hoping, unreasonably, that the special edition CD with video screen comes with a preloaded "The Wall" style album long video that plays. So anyhow that's my hope/prediction. Concept album with conceptual video.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. That high pitched intro noise on FI could be the trigger sound to sync the video. Then bam. Only problem is I’m most likely wrong.

But 7 artists accompanying 7 songs would be kind of cool.

Either way, the band mates have hyped up the packaging so I’m sure it’s going to be great. No signs of under promise and over deliver here. Everything has been all I could ever ask for so far.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I full feature video would give some explanation to Adam's picture of the 17 computers hooked up and rendering.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

Boldizar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:33 am I full feature video would give some explanation to Adam's picture of the 17 computers hooked up and rendering.

Hopefully the unboxing video comes soon though I don't know how much they will give away? We may get to see that and still not actually know what is actually going to be running on the display.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

rshforgothispw wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:23 am Yeah that’s what I was thinking. That high pitched intro noise on FI could be the trigger sound to sync the video. Then bam. Only problem is I’m most likely wrong.

But 7 artists accompanying 7 songs would be kind of cool.

Either way, the band mates have hyped up the packaging so I’m sure it’s going to be great. No signs of under promise and over deliver here. Everything has been all I could ever ask for so far.
7 artists for 7 songs may not be far off whether it's a long single flowing "movie" or a anthology series by song. We feel like alex grey and the opiate priest guy have at least both been involved somehow and likely chet zar and that one other digital visual artist who did similar work to the cover art before so maybe it is something like that, add in Adam himself and we could be up to 5 of the 7 right there.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Alittlevil wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 am
Boldizar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:33 am I full feature video would give some explanation to Adam's picture of the 17 computers hooked up and rendering.

Hopefully the unboxing video comes soon though I don't know how much they will give away? We may get to see that and still not actually know what is actually going to be running on the display.
Someone mentioned that was to tongue in cheek by Blair. Like, you know on YouTube there will be a million people posting their unboxing videos and at this point I’m believing that.
Alittlevil
Has been

Post by Alittlevil »

rshforgothispw wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 am
Alittlevil wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 am

Someone mentioned that was to tongue in cheek by Blair. Like, you know on YouTube there will be a million people posting their unboxing videos and at this point I’m believing that.
That could definitely end up being true but my wide hungry eyes never saw the possibility, somehow, that they could be trolling. However now that you mention it that does seem really reasonable. 2 weeks left
Octopod
Maynard Believer

Post by Octopod »

*shrug, on one level the whole thing is one concept.

Even if they did what Danny is talking about in that interview, it would still fit within the common narrative that extends from Opiate to the new single.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

My understanding is that the video that plays on the packaging is just Blair doing an unboxing, but then getting sidetracked and talking about something else for somewhere between 60-90 minutes.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

there's your curveball
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

junior wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am My understanding is that the video that plays on the packaging is just Blair doing an unboxing, but then getting sidetracked and talking about something else for somewhere between 60-90 minutes.
HAHA! I wouldn't even be mad. That would be worth it.

"It's like poetry, [it] rhymes..."
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

thats weird. i was just trying to figure out what these things can do. 60 to 70 mins is common. 720p. they hold 2gbs of storage. (most of what i saw so far) some are easy to get the files off of while others not so much or at all. knowing tool,not at all but lets hope so.

if its Blair being Blair then i guess i dont have to bother trying to get anything off it ;)
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

junior wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am My understanding is that the video that plays on the packaging is just Blair doing an unboxing, but then getting sidetracked and talking about something else for somewhere between 60-90 minutes.
Omfg, that would be hilarious.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

I've also heard that it will have a randomizer included to change Blair's rant to one of 7 different topics each time you open it.
One of the rants will sync up to the album, while 3 others will appear to sync up when (in reality) they don't.
2 of the remaining will actually be interesting, but have nothing to do with Tool.
1 will just be complete nonsense, and possibly include some cameos of tangential Tool associates drinking at a bar in Las Vegas.
There was talk of an 8th one that also would have synced up, but there was a problem getting it to fit in the allotted space.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

we lost him! :(