Fear Inoculum

Boldizar
Optomist

Re: Fear Inoculum with SPOILERS

Post by Boldizar »

Everything about this album is opposite to and what 10,000 Days should have been. The music is inspired and valuable to listeners. The art is their best yet and unlike the b-reel gimmick box last time, the art here is original and has an inspired tonal pulse. The band was obviously really passionate and cared way more this time around, wasn't resentful and didn't rush things.

This is the Tool that wrote Lateralus.

The video that plays is actually pretty cool and it's audio seems to be another segue that introduces the first track (very similar to the first two on the album). The visual package is such an important component to this that any leak could have never done the album as a whole justice. This album isn't Lateralus, but I am ready to say it is just as good in it's own way.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Moridin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:52 am A criticism I had after listening to the album 7 or 8 times (without the segues) was I thought it could have used another song or 2. But that has largely abated with the inclusion of the segues. They round it out quite nicely.

I had the same exact though sequence.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Ok guys, here we are. It’s in my hands now (3 copies to be exact) with 2 more waiting to be delivered. There are no more what if’s or maybe that’s. The new TOOL album is actually, really, not-shittin-you here.

I really wanted that Danny Carey drum symbol copy once I knew there were different backs so I went to four stores and eventually got a copy. The local vinyl shop had the most copies verses the big chains so that was cool to see. Gigantic thank you to the guy that held my copy after I called. I am so thrilled! I also have two other variants on the way and im still looking for that mysterious and rare 4th copy - so the day is still young.

There are slight differences in each package it’s crazy. Some are glossy, some not. Some have bumps on the eyes. I’ve only opened 1 so I really can’t tell what else is different besides the back and the sides. I find it a little odd that their logo runs off the spine of the case and doesn’t end with a buffer like the other side so I’m sure that’s intentional.

Earlier in the week Adam was on that podcast with Jericho and he mentioned that he missed being 12 cuz back then everything was cool. Today, that feeling of pure excitement came back to me when I was on the way to target. It took me back to when I got lateralus and when I stood in line for a ps3. Complete jubilation! These feelings of pure anticipation and excitement dilute as you age but back then, it was the fucking BEST.

There was no politics or drama. No worrying or even anxiety at that time. Just unfiltered anticipation! Ok maybe a little anxiety- am I gonna get a copy?

There was another TOOL fan there when I arrived and he was pacing eagerly while waiting to see if they had any other copies. I found out as we were waiting for the clerk to come from the back that he was also after the Danny Carey copy. Fuck. Flashbacks of jingle all the way. They didn’t have any of that copy so we both darted for the door. Should I knock over this giant bucket of marbles and fuck this guy up real good? Nah, the day is young.

I went to Walmart and asked the guy in electronics if they had any tool cds. He said nah and it was real odd cuz some other guy was in there asking the same thing 2 seconds earlier. Shit. Time to hop in the car and initiate turbo, man.

WHO TOLD HIM THAT HE COULD EAT MY COOKIES!

Anyway, I finally got my copy from the vinyl store that was an hour and a half away. They had a shit ton so I tried to spread the word so othertoolguy could snag a copy.

The wife and I then opened the package in the parking lot and watched the video in total amazement. I was at least - my wife was probably thinking about lunch. But this shit right here, is what it’s all about guys. Bringing the fun back. I’ve read that the band really enjoyed putting this one together. As I looked through the booklet while eating Indian I couldn’t help see what they meant. You can see the heart put into this. You can hear the soul ring on for eternity with this CD.

I feel something deep today guys. It could be the tika masala but I’m pretty sure it’s because my favorite band just released another masterpiece. It has been really FUN.

Thanks everyone. Thanks Adam, Justin, Danny and Maynard. Thanks to Junior for asking the band to play third eye this tour in Raleigh NC. Jk. But thanks Junior for the work you do and the tidbits you share. It makes all of this experience that much more enjoyable.

As you can see I am over joyed today. I have a few extra copies of some really great music I acquired today. If someone out there is having problems getting a copy and wants one let me know. You just gotta experience this.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

rshforgothispw wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks everyone. Thanks Adam, Justin, Danny and Maynard. Thanks to Junior for asking the band to play third eye this tour in Raleigh NC. Jk. But thanks Junior for the work you do and the tidbits you share. It makes all of this experience that much more enjoyable.
did you go to stores in Raleigh?
Professor of Lesbian Science
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Honestly, the variant thing is pure horseshit. They should have made a product people could get and feel completely satisfied with. Instead they played into consumer sales bullshit and people of varying degrees of susceptibility have to have that nagging thought of not getting a certain one, or all of them to have the complete product. Not to mention that they completely fucked the release of this product by not offering enough copies, now they encourage people to buy more than one, making even less appear in the wild... not to mention the added scalping value.

If they were going to do variants, they needed to make them readily available in quantity.
Last edited by Boldizar on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Nah charleston SC
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Really digging the artwork and the sacred geometry on the CD.
cheesenbiscuits
Maynard Believer

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by cheesenbiscuits »

14 years and i can't just buy the album!
Did Tool turn into "the man"?
Their web site doesn't even acknowledge the album even exists!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

nxrm wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:48 pm
tys0n wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 am Aww man it's over :/

First impression 10/10, Adam owns 7empest.

This album somehow exists outside the parameters of time, it just flows and flows and before you know it it's over.

Kinda like life.
:D
ziggy23 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 am One word - impressive.

Holy fucking shit!
\m/
Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:34 am What a fucking ride! Descending farken owned as expected studio wise. Bring on round 2.

The harmonica and yodelling was especially impressive
\m/
Danny wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:54 am So happy I didn’t listen to Invincible, amazing.

We did it, they did it as well, loving Adam’s work, all that shit about him taking a back seat is crazy nonsense. Danny’s killing it!

That solo 7min in on Invincible and then the synth, “tears in my eyes” is right, actual tears.damnn.
\m/
liz wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:49 am No wonder they were obviously feeling pleased with themselves. What a fantastic effort.

Descending stood out for me first listen but I'm sure other tracks are going to present themselves as favourites as I continue to listen. CCtrip was fun and because I'd played FI so often hearing Pneuma was like the first strains of the orchestra pit just that feeling of we're off and here we go!
Nice!
C_Dreyer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:30 pm And the fans rejoice! Nice to see people are stoked bc this is QUITE a piece of work. Super impressive the band saw this thing through, the discipline holy holy.

Just a couple listens, but this f---ker flows, stately bordering on luxurious. The music plays them at points.

But 7empest? There's no way this song exists without all those grueling years going by. They are working out some serious shit in that song, haha. Better this than murdering someone, and yet it's so controled. Pure filthy evil. And like Danny said, good on Adam for letting loose and going for broke on it, you don't see that side often. My prayers for them playing it live.

Looking forward to more and more spins over the years, and with the proper segues. Peace to all!
\m/
JooP wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:22 pm This album is a beast! Fucking wow!
\m/
limeygringo wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 pm Top notch, first listen was great. It's their slowest and most ethereal record, but in the best possible ways. It's their shiniest album, but it fucking sludges and spins. Maynard's delivery is perfect, plus the band's aggressiveness they practically scream for him, you don't miss the screams. Not that that ever mattered too me much, it's just one factor. Adam definitely steps it up, Justin kills it and Danny just conjures up that magic. I just felt like every song was Third Eye good.

A+, top notch Tool record, The Boys are Back
Sweet!
PimPle wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:28 am I finally got to listen to the full album last night and it was overwhelming. I loved everything. Thought 7empest was incredibly dense and enjoyed every second of it. I was taken aback at how much Descending grabbed me, having already heard it a heap of time from the live shows, I wasn't expecting it to stand out the way it did. I can't wait to listen to it again (there needs to be more time in the day).
Right on!
joeypants wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am I really, really, really hope they just play the whole fucking album straight through when they tour. That would ruin me in the best way.
Yes!!!
Hey Norm, I know what you mean, it is pretty cool to share our delight in the new TooL with others who can relate. I cannot remember the last time I was so excited to hear an album (perhaps that is a consequence of a 13 year wait!). I've listened numerous times now and its still shiny. Bound to turn up in the "what are you listening to now" thread for years to come. I so enjoyed watching you "hold out" but the tension was getting a little much. Glad youre back!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
jackob2545
My pain is just an excuse

Post by jackob2545 »

To all those who held out... today was something special.

I’m still trying to grasp it all and digest the feelings the whole experience brought with it. Thank you Tool, thank you all artist involved, thank you to this community. Today will forever be etched into who I am.

Cheers everyone!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

liz wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 pm Hey Norm, I know what you mean, it is pretty cool to share our delight in the new TooL with others who can relate. I cannot remember the last time I was so excited to hear an album (perhaps that is a consequence of a 13 year wait!). I've listened numerous times now and its still shiny. Bound to turn up in the "what are you listening to now" thread for years to come. I so enjoyed watching you "hold out" but the tension was getting a little much. Glad youre back!
Glad to be back as well. The last 24 hours have definitely been a bit surreal. :D

I still only have that one listen under my belt, but I'm looking forward to the next one, then the next,...

Getting through all the threads and reading all the comments, along with all the new comments has been a lot of fun.

Although it kind of bums me out to hear that some folks have to wait (and pay so much) to get the actual CD package, and even worse for those that had their orders cancelled! Here's hoping there's another run and everyone can get their hands on a copy.

Now we get to wait for that vinyl release. Here's hoping that order fulfillment process goes a bit better.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

jackob2545 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:55 pm To all those who held out... today was something special.

I’m still trying to grasp it all and digest the feelings the whole experience brought with it. Thank you Tool, thank you all artist involved, thank you to this community. Today will forever be etched into who I am.

Cheers everyone!
Cheers!
I’m on the 2nd listen now. This is surely beautiful.
My wife and I sat and split a few beers together listening
to FI for the first time and we both shed tears. We’ve not heard Tool since we placed rings on each other’s fingers in 06. She looked at me during the title track and said
“I like this so much.”

I said I do too!

On second listen, as the 1st, I feel a monolithic Danny Carey rising from an ocean creating waves for his comrades to surf upon. This is DC shining brighter. This is Tool. This is emotional in a whole new experience. Chills have run their course throughout my nerves and heart.
I have FI on repeat tonight as I have held out for quite a spell.

3rd repeat just started.

It’s been quite a ride with the old and new patrons of this forum
for the previous 13+ years we’ve been here chatting and hoping for new music from the band we hold to certain degree of artistry.
Cheers to all! Here we are enveloped in what we’d hoped and wished would be sooner. Stamp it.

To Nxrm, William of the Hills (nice one Ki77an), and those that are experiencing the new album for the first time today...
...Enjoy!

I am.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

The CD sounds amazing on my half ass Sony surround sound!
All well Whatever, Nevermind
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Specter - glad you’re digging FI as much as I am. I keep finding new gems on repeat listening. Parts that make me very happy and spark creativity. I’m a bit jealous that you share it with your wife... mine merely tolerates it and is happy for me.

Observation: It’s great for movement too. The cadence and dynamics really worked well during several outings. Hiking, biking etc. Highly recommend.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Is that The Cheese, or just a cheese?
Ki77aan :twisted:
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 pm @ Specter - glad you’re digging FI as much as I am. I keep finding new gems on repeat listening. Parts that make me very happy and spark creativity. I’m a bit jealous that you share it with your wife... mine merely tolerates it and is happy for me.

Observation: It’s great for movement too. The cadence and dynamics really worked well during several outings. Hiking, biking etc. Highly recommend.
Mine did when I hit repeat.

Thanks, brother Kit!

The space in this album fluctuates in such a relaxing groove.

The peaks are more fluid. Less jagged.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Absolutely. When I finally got it on my phone on Friday I went for a walk. It put a spring in my step and even induced a bit of marching at one point. :lol:
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Specter wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm Cheers!
to FI for the first time and we both shed tears. We’ve not heard Tool since we placed rings on each other’s fingers in 06. She looked at me during the title track and said
“I like this so much.”

I said I do too!

On second listen, as the 1st, I feel a monolithic Danny Carey rising from an ocean creating waves for his comrades to surf upon. This is DC shining brighter. This is Tool. This is emotional in a whole new experience. Chills have run their course throughout my nerves and heart.

3rd repeat just started.

for the previous 13+ years we’ve been here chatting and hoping for new music from the band we hold to certain degree of artistry.
Cheers to all! Here we are enveloped in what we’d hoped and wished would be sooner. Stamp it.

To Nxrm, William of the Hills (nice one Ki77an), and those that are experiencing the new album for the first time today...
...Enjoy!

I am.
Right on Specter! Glad to hear you had a stellar first listen as well.

I'm still riding the wave of my first listen. :D

Hoping to dive back in tomorrow, now that I have the physical copy in hand as well.

That video Adam made is a trip.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Specter wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Cheers!
“I like this so much.”

I said I do too!

3rd repeat just started.

...Enjoy!

I am.
Holy crap! Specter is putting whole coherent sentences together! The healing power of Tool! Glad you are enjoying the album.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

~~~ I like how Justin is the sheriff. Keeping those other fucks in line!
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

nxrm wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:26 am
ziggy23 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 am Hey, dude, I'd like to see your face during listening to the album for the first time!! Hahaha)
I think it was something along these lines. :lol:

It was worth the wait, I see)
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

So fucking good to sit today for two solid listens without coming home stressed from work or trying to listen at work and getting constantly distracted to the point I deleted off my work computer and redownloaded it twice. Just me with some water and a few cups of tea.

Also the first time I listened with the segues which lets the album breathe. Basically it's 10/10, 7empest is still an absolute beast.

Need to get some decent in ear wired headphones and do what Ki77an suggested, this would be a perfect walking album.
Canned audience laughter
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

So this segue of sorts that plays while the video is going when you open the CD. It has a different feel than the others. I’m wondering if it’s a pre-segue lead into Fear Inoculum.
I haven’t tried to see if it flows yet just kind of wondering if it the end of the video could tie into the synth sound at the beginning of FI.
Possibly be part of a full length video for FI.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

ziggy23 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 pm It was worth the wait, I see)
Absolutely! I got my second listen in this morning and I'm just as amazed. The guys really outdid themselves.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

tys0n wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 pm So fucking good to sit today for two solid listens without coming home stressed from work or trying to listen at work and getting constantly distracted to the point I deleted off my work computer and redownloaded it twice. Just me with some water and a few cups of tea.

Also the first time I listened with the segues which lets the album breathe. Basically it's 10/10, 7empest is still an absolute beast.

Need to get some decent in ear wired headphones and do what Ki77an suggested, this would be a perfect walking album.
\m/