Culling Voices

Shed523
Geacon

Re: Culling Voices

Post by Shed523 »

hellboy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am

I don't think that final riff is even half as good as the one in Right In Two tbh
While I also think the Right In Two riff and the Triad riff are better it just kind of reminded me of the build and release in those tunes. Honestly I think if this thing had winded down like Intension people would be bashing it.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

lol no

There was no tension to be released in this song, it wasn't building to anything.
Canned audience laughter
tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

hellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm I love the first 2/3rds of this song. The melodic ballad stuff is great and mostly unique for Tool. I still find the ending pretty bland though. I think if they'd just made it a ballad, or perhaps a more Intension style ending it would have turned out as a better song
this here is the correct take
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

May I suggest an edit?

I am still digging the ending, but you cunts make a good point. Further listening is required. I’ll be back.
Ki77aan :twisted:
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Don't listen, don't edit. Culling Voices is hypnotizing enough.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

I edited it down to 3 minutes. Seems to help with my ADHD. Plus the album flows sooooo much better.
SteveBobSteve
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

ms2r wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 am Don't listen, don't edit. Culling Voices is hypnotizing enough.
Haunting
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Listening to the album on the way in to work this morning, I was thinking how much I like this song. It continues to grow on me with every listen.
Be good to each other.
7oolband

Post by 7oolband »

Culling Voices is a great song. I think Tool made the choice to keep every song with a heavy finish because of the small amount of songs on the album. there is a spot in the middle of the song for an edit if you guys choose to roll that way. i used to skip to Lateralus at 5:54 of Ticks. Do what you need to do to make the art meaningful to you. i might just skip forward between the 5:20~5:30 mark. MJK vox get trippy and seems like a good place to keep it trippy and chill at. if you feel like letting Tool kick ass for another 4 minutes you can do that too. it's like two songs in one. wow now i love it even more. it is whatever you want or need!
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nah, the edit comment was a callback.... no editing necessary for me.
Ki77aan :twisted:
7oolband

Post by 7oolband »

Me neither, but it is there as a tool if u want to use the song as an intension/disposition style chill song.

Listening all the way to the end is very satisfying contrast to the rest of the jam songs. This song is very straight forward and kicks your ass in an up close and personal way.
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

hellboy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
Same here. The least listened song on the album for me at the current moment.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

ziggy23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:38 am
hellboy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 am Just can't really get into this song. I think it'd be in the bottom 10 non-segue Tool songs for me, despite how much I enjoy the intro.
I'd have to go all the way back to Undertow to find a track I like less than this one. It's not a bad track per se, I just find it quite by the numbers and mundane for Tool.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

hellboy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am
I'd have to go all the way back to Undertow to find a track I like less than this one. It's not a bad track per se, I just find it quite by the numbers and mundane for Tool.
By the numbers? This is one of the most format divergent songs they've ever done. Half of it is a freaking ballad.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
tompie

Post by tompie »

I'm of two minds on this track. With respect to my actual sensibilities it ranks pretty low for me. Similarly to Hellboy, not only is it one of my least favourite tracks on the record but I also can't say I like it more than a vast majority of the catalogue. That being said, I think Boldizar hits the nail on the head. Compared to other Tool tracks, this one is REALLY REALLY different. Three guitar tracks? Ballad-esque intro? Simple ending riff repeated twice? It's an anomaly. For that reason I actually find it kinda compelling and never skip it. I imagine this one was written very differently and I think Justin even alluded to that in one of his recent interviews (was it the German Visions?)
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

It's beautifully written and sung. I don't want to compare it with other songs. It's an emotional beauty on his own.
It doesn't need complexity. The suspense and emotional lyrical release is doing it for me.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I've said before I can see why some are having a hard time getting into it and feel the heavier ending is a bit of a by the numbers effort.

I was thinking about the criticisms yesterday when i was listening to it and as I've also said before, THAT bass lick when it kicks in is a thing of god damn beauty. Especially with the bass tone he's got going. It sounds to me and could be totally wrong on this but maybe it was a bit of a GNR moment with paradise city in that they had the first half of the song and had no idea where to take it and Justin's bass line inspired the heavier bit? I honestly can't see how they could have kept the song mellow ala Intension after that bass line and I'm sure glad they kept it in so I for one love it!
Listen to All Them Witches
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

I guess I'll come back to this song later, not now.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Boldizar wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am\

By the numbers? This is one of the most format divergent songs they've ever done. Half of it is a freaking ballad.
I'm referring mostly to the second half. The ballad art, as I've said numerous times is excellent.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm I've said before I can see why some are having a hard time getting into it and feel the heavier ending is a bit of a by the numbers effort.

I was thinking about the criticisms yesterday when i was listening to it and as I've also said before, THAT bass lick when it kicks in is a thing of god damn beauty. Especially with the bass tone he's got going. It sounds to me and could be totally wrong on this but maybe it was a bit of a GNR moment with paradise city in that they had the first half of the song and had no idea where to take it and Justin's bass line inspired the heavier bit? I honestly can't see how they could have kept the song mellow ala Intension after that bass line and I'm sure glad they kept it in so I for one love it!
Busty that line is awesome.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Shed523 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 pm There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
Just checked it out. Cheers for the tip!
Listen to All Them Witches
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm
Shed523 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 pm There is a great Bass cover on YouTube that really highlights the bass line. Justin during the heavy part is a fucking boss just gets lost a little in the mix but after watching that video you can really get it.
Just checked it out. Cheers for the tip!
Cheers! Fucking Love this song!
7oolband

Post by 7oolband »

hellboy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am
In the context of the album it is a masterpiece of a work. To have the eerie cold intro after Descending...it is literally the calm before the storm. About it being by the numbers and mundane well i would say that is true and in a sense nothing special but the timing of this kind of song is what grips me. The nuance and lack of screaming by MJK, the heavy finish and united sound by the boys...who knows how many more of these tunes we will be hearing. This song is special for many other reasons, but the tone and the timing of it is just masterfully executed.