But the truth never got in my way
Before now, feel the sting
Feeling time bearing down
Bearing down
Boldizar
Optomist

Re: Invincible

Post by Boldizar »

This potentially Tool's best song ever written.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

She is an absolute fucking ripper.

Songs like pushit, Lateralus will likely never be topped for me but for them to put out quality like this at this point of their careers is damn well impressive
Listen to All Them Witches
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Bellow aloud? Is that right?
I forgot my pen
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

This is a fantastic song but I always go back to descending when it comes back up.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Best track on the album
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I love the line 'Tripping through remember when'

There is something perfect about how it encapsulates getting older
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

tys0n wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:12 am There is something perfect about how it encapsulates getting older
Nailed it
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

What a well executed song. Top tier here.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

tys0n wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:12 am I love the line 'Tripping through remember when'

It's a great way to reference nostalgia without having to say the word. Anyways, time to hit up Target for the next sound of Disney's Star Wars Episode 9 character merchandise and clothing for my family. Matrix 4 ftw!! Remember the Matrix?!
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I was just thinking tonight Maynard sitting watching South Park and seeing Mmmmeber berries and picking up a note pad.
Canned audience laughter
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Boldizar wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 am
tys0n wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:12 am I love the line 'Tripping through remember when'

It's a great way to reference nostalgia without having to say the word. Anyways, time to hit up Target for the next sound of Disney's Star Wars Episode 9 character merchandise and clothing for my family. Matrix 4 ftw!! Remember the Matrix?!
15 year old me walking to the movies in the rain to buy tickets for baby geniuses and sneaking in soaking wet. Still the best movie theater experience ever.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

My wife works at a Veterans Affairs hospital as a nurse. And I asked her what she thinks of these lyrics and she says they remind her of the vets she takes care of. Some of the lyrics sound like it's coming from a vet who's seen a lot of bad things in war and is coming to terms with the fact that he's not in a war anymore and he's getting old.
Aside from that, the "heavy shield down" part reminds me of either Roman warriors or a conquistador with shields lowering their shield when realizing the war is over. It's also another revolving favorite song. My favorites from the album keep revolving from 7empest, Pneuma and Invincible.
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

fractal-machine wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 pm It's also another revolving favorite song. My favorites from the album keep revolving from 7empest, Pneuma and Invincible.
This is so cool about this album. At one point you listen Invincible and think that's the best but then Descending and then Pneuma and then Fear Inoculum, etc. So cool.

Love the sound when the guitar comes in after 'Caligula would grin'.
_peterpwn02
Bronco's Fan

Post by _peterpwn02 »

it's interesting but for me this track works MUCH better in its live form (Berlin Mercedes Arena ripped from youtube)

seems like its in the right tempo, with the right sound, and there are nuances (especially on Adams part with the guitar picking, release, and guitar picking, stuff like that) that seem small detail, but turns out it plays an important part for me
but the main thing for me besides the fact that its more polished and tighter and better sounding, is the part in the live version at 3:57 with that guitar release for times, with the bass.... Adam has a lead there in the album, and its interesting but its night and day for me in the favor of the live version, its just much much better for my taste, i really like that part, and every transition in the live version

album version just doesnt do it for me, i tried to listen to it much but now when i listen to the tracks or the whole album, i use the live version of this song
7oolband
My pain is just an excuse

Post by 7oolband »

for me i have not heard the live versions yet and i am loving the sudio versions very much. i think there are different things to like about each version. this album will be a doozy live!
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yeah anyone that's nor enjoying the song based on your love and knowledge of the live version , kinda sucks to be you eh. The only reason most here feel that way is because they listened to an illegally and unofficial recording of the song.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

When Maynard starts to sign over the Synth solo

Canned audience laughter
_peterpwn02
Bronco's Fan

Post by _peterpwn02 »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 pm Yeah anyone that's nor enjoying the song based on your love and knowledge of the live version , kinda sucks to be you eh. The only reason most here feel that way is because they listened to an illegally and unofficial recording of the song.
im not sure i can follow you, but i have a feeling you misunderstood what i've said

just as the rest of the album, the more i listen to this song with as few surroundings as possible, - i know this sounds cringe - but whenever i can with eyes closed, letting all my control and senses to the track, the more i realise its greatness
personally i still enjoy the live recording better, maybe because thats what im used to idk, but it doesnt take away the fact that this shit is arranged, felt through, and executed in such a good way, its just so so good to listen to, its such a beauty, i remember when i first heard it, when it clicked, it had a feeling to it like there is a simple fragment or idea, and in this track, they wanted to play it in every single tempo and rythm they can, like the whole band is walking around multiple angles around one shit and digging deep inside it, going around it, and explore it and just play with it, one idea, one million versions
exact opposite of some of their other tracks where they put multiple ideas in one song, for me Invincible is one melody presented in one thousand different ways, and not one second is unnecesary or less then the others.... love it

its also a funny nod to The Patient, the guitar picking and intro, and then the first segment with here i am / but i'm still right here.... its like the patient, this whole song is like The Patient on steroids, but yet its different, 10/10
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

One thing that really stuck out to me listening to the live version of this many times, was how noticable Justin's bass work was. The only real criticism I have is that the bass is a little toned down on the record. Justin does some really cool shit on this track, and I just wish it was a little higher in the mix.

Overall though, the song is very much a highlight of the album and one of my favorite Tool songs.
_peterpwn02
Bronco's Fan

Post by _peterpwn02 »

yeah i recall you saying it could be one the best bass driven tool track on the album, and on the live setting it certainly feels it has more space to breath and a bit more articulated (or louder, idk)...also adams guitar work has a less is more effect on me with the bit more stripped down approach, has greater impact when he comes in, and lets the bass breath more, drive the music even
7oolband
My pain is just an excuse

Post by 7oolband »

stating the obvious but this album sounds like it was made for live. it will be lit when adding the crowd energy into the equation. we hear a smooth beast in Fi and live will be another animal. i cannot wait!
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Invincible is an absolute blast to play on guitar. Like when I was 17 learning H. When I first heard Invincible at 2am on my couch in early May it slightly reminded me of H. and while the two songs are much different the guitar playing felt similar and still kind of does.
All well Whatever, Nevermind