The Grudge (WARNING: 26 years to #6?)

The Main Event
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: The Grudge (WARNING: It Hapenned!!)

Post by Calfium Jay »

children wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Teenage angst is merely a way to describe the aggression of Tool's early songs, particularly the way Maynard used to sing them. I wasn't literally calling you a teenager, but I am willing to bet you were a teenager when you first heard Tool and that aggression was what drew you to them in the first place because that's how they managed to gain a following for the majority of their audience in the 90's. Are my assumptions wrong so far?

As Tool progressed, they moved further from that aggression and explored a more tranquil sound as they matured. Some people were turned off and were upset about the change because in their eyes Tool had lost what was compelling for them. Each album gradually lost a little bit more of that 'teenage angst,' but it still came through here and there. Lateralus still had a good amount of it in Maynard's vocals in songs like Grudge, Ticks, and there were moments in Parabola and Schism where you had Maynard's climactic delivery that satisfied that itch, so people eventually came to appreciate it.

On 10k, there was even less aggression that called back to the early days. Even more people were turned off, with the only aggressive songs being Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot. Even then that 'teenage angst' was only sparsley there and didn't quite satisfy that itch for a lot of people.

So as far as I can tell that is the logical explanation for why 10k was such a let down for so many people, and why Fear Inoculum is a let down for the exact same reason. People keep expecting Tool to go back to a previous time in their career and it's just not going to happen...

You should write a book. On what exactly, I couldn't say. Perhaps a story about someone who's waiting for a bus and inadvertently becomes involved in a drive by shooting. Maybe.

Anyway, definitely write a book. Not saying it will be any good or anything, as your level of grammatical and artistic expression - not to mention your creative flair - is immature to say the least.

But yeah, do it.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

tys0n wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm Kinda feel they rushed this album.
:lol:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

:lol:
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Calfium Jay wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm
children wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Teenage angst is merely a way to describe the aggression of Tool's early songs, particularly the way Maynard used to sing them. I wasn't literally calling you a teenager, but I am willing to bet you were a teenager when you first heard Tool and that aggression was what drew you to them in the first place because that's how they managed to gain a following for the majority of their audience in the 90's. Are my assumptions wrong so far?

As Tool progressed, they moved further from that aggression and explored a more tranquil sound as they matured. Some people were turned off and were upset about the change because in their eyes Tool had lost what was compelling for them. Each album gradually lost a little bit more of that 'teenage angst,' but it still came through here and there. Lateralus still had a good amount of it in Maynard's vocals in songs like Grudge, Ticks, and there were moments in Parabola and Schism where you had Maynard's climactic delivery that satisfied that itch, so people eventually came to appreciate it.

On 10k, there was even less aggression that called back to the early days. Even more people were turned off, with the only aggressive songs being Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot. Even then that 'teenage angst' was only sparsley there and didn't quite satisfy that itch for a lot of people.

So as far as I can tell that is the logical explanation for why 10k was such a let down for so many people, and why Fear Inoculum is a let down for the exact same reason. People keep expecting Tool to go back to a previous time in their career and it's just not going to happen...

You should write a book. On what exactly, I couldn't say. Perhaps a story about someone who's waiting for a bus and inadvertently becomes involved in a drive by shooting. Maybe.

Anyway, definitely write a book. Not saying it will be any good or anything, as your level of grammatical and artistic expression - not to mention your creative flair - is immature to say the least.

But yeah, do it.

:|
Yeah I'm the immature one. Congratulations on your lapse of social skills.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Tool sucks and made me buy an album I hate AND took 13 years to do it! Bastards.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
7oolband
My pain is just an excuse

Post by 7oolband »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 am Tool sucks and made me buy an album I hate AND took 13 years to do it! Bastards.
:?: i was right, this changes everything|devil&his had me down|this tedious path i've chosen here|what's coming through is alive|slipping back into the gap again|rRrreal fuckin high on drugs|spark becomes a flame|mention anything to me :!:
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

13 Years to make an album because Maynard was experimenting as a Furry. Typical.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Nah it was Maynard’s constant badgering. They should have spent at least 4 more years.
SteveBobSteve
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

snazzlefrass wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 pm Nah it was Maynard’s constant badgering. They should have spent at least 4 more years.
At least Maynard nailed it on Pneuma
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Agreed, yet that's what I like about it. They finally gave no fucks and just did it. The album's got heart.

But fuck that Tool Army presale non-sense. Gotta put the coin in the Grudge jar.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

GabesCaves wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm
snazzlefrass wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 pm Nah it was Maynard’s constant badgering. They should have spent at least 4 more years.
i like Pneuma quite a bit but its basically Parabola part II without as many words but the same meaning and it sounds like the patient a little bit in some parts.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

No, Pneuma is all previous Tool evolved into THE masterpiece of TooL.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

ms2r wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:23 pm No, Pneuma is all previous Tool evolved into THE masterpiece of TooL.
Thank you! :idea:
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

I wonder how much actual time they spent on the album over the 13 years. A few months or maybe a year?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

About four years iirc
GabesCaves

Post by GabesCaves »

bob wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 pm
i like Pneuma quite a bit but its basically Parabola part II without as many words but the same meaning and it sounds like the patient a little bit in some parts.

Isn't that the challenge? They have their sound and their style? The risk is that it sounds familiar?

Doesn't Pneuma's main theme sound much slower than Parabola?

When those deep chords hit, man that's the FI highlight for me.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

hellboy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 am Maynard's work is pretty low on my list of criticisms on this album. There's very little of him on it I don't like. No real shortage of catchy hooks and melodies imo.

It's just he sings different, which is always going to rub some up the wrong way.
What he does he does well, there’s just not enough of it. I adore the vocals on Descending. He doesn’t need to scream, but he needs to carry the arc of the songs, not disappear to subvert crescendo. The record is solid but it’ll fade in comparison to everything else they’ve done. Maybe not for fans who continue to manufacture ways to convince themselves they like it more than they actually do.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

The Grudge thread is for bitching about Tool. Not sucking their dick, metaphorically of course.
SteveBobSteve
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Takeo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:07 pm Maybe not for fans who continue to manufacture ways to convince themselves they like it more than they actually do.
DAMN! He saw right through me! Takeo knows best.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Boldizar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:12 am
Takeo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:07 pm Maybe not for fans who continue to manufacture ways to convince themselves they like it more than they actually do.
DAMN! He saw right through me! Takeo knows best.
Who the fuck is this motherfucker Takeo? This motherfucker actually thinks we are convincing ways to like this album more than we do? Has this motherfucker been absent for the last, uh, dunno, 8 years where I have blasted Tool on the regular?

If this album hadn't been fucking mint I would have ROASTED it.

What a dumb motherfucker this Takeo guy is

If I say 10/10 that means 10/10. That means I have tore the album apart analyzed everything I could from every angle I could and found it to be an album worthy of a score of 10/10. It means I think the fucking album is on par with (or very very close to) Lateralus and Aenima and better than 10,000 Days, Undertow, and Opiate.

If this motherfucker Takeo has a problem with that he can go fuck himself.

@Boldi - whats poppin mang hope the day is treating you well

@The Grudge - Nothing left to complain about. We had a hell of a run. I will miss you.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

M0G wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm
@Boldi - whats poppin mang hope the day is treating you well
Pretty boring day so far. But fuck you for using your mind tricks on me and making me think I had original thoughts about something that was actually a steaming pile of crap!

Also Tool should have taken longer to release this! RUSH JOB! SLEAZY CON MEN!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

People can make themselves believe anything, no reasoning required,the manufacturing of evidence or argument to support those beliefs is usually for the benefit of others.

That said it doesn't really make sense that a fan of TooL music wouldn't genuinely like this album. It is too much like their other works to be ostracised as an inferior piece.

And fuck all those that still find a reason to complain!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

M0G wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm @The Grudge - Nothing left to complain about. We had a hell of a run. I will miss you.
You’ll be back M0G. You’ll be back.
SteveBobSteve
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

liz spitting hot fire!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Boldizar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:32 pm liz spitting hot fire!
One must give the obligatory fuck on the Grudge.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."