Re: Fear Inoculum (track)

Post by DaddyThinks »

Ummmm... Dude

Now you intimitate me! Shoo, get away! :D
DaddyThinks
Bronco's Fan

Post by DaddyThinks »

@children I've read your last post many times and gotta say I agree with you. Just aswered to you with a kind of humour since I don't really know you. Still pondering when guys here are just pulling my leg (which is fine, funny and entertaining) and when they being serious.

I truly admire people who have the ability, time and enthusiasm to find new music to their life. I like to think that I'm not too narrow minded about music and I enjoy a variety of genres from electric, through pop to heavy, simple rock, bues, proge and opera and shit too. There's only few musical genres I dont enjoy listening: punk and high pitched fast death metal kinda thing. I recognize their worth, but... I don't get anything out of them.

Still it seems that I always go back to the old favourites: 90s grunge, the doors, pink floyd, 90s rock scene and Tool, Deftones the like. It's so time consuming to get a hang of something new. It's like meeting new people when you age: It takes so much effort to make new friends, since everyones got their lives full of responsibilities and already stacked with friends they know from childhood. It's a shame because world is filled with great personalities and great new music I know nothing about. So hats off to you sire.

Also, so that this won't go too much off topic: I tried to experience the Fear Inoculum (album & single) without submerging myself with the thousands of interpretations swarming about. It's not easy though, just one google search and a slip of a finger and you're done for. :D
DaddyThinks
Bronco's Fan

Post by DaddyThinks »

DADDY THINKS: OF MUSIC. TOOL: FEAR INOCULUM (SINGLE)
https://daddythinks.wordpress.com/2019/ ... um-single/

Here is the first actual part of Daddy Thinks: of music. This text was originally written in Finnish and published on my FB wall and done pretty fast as to reflect some of my first emotions of the single release. It doesn’t have pretty much anything to do with the actual lyrics and story that’s been told in the tune I guess, but more with my personal thoughts and mental images. It took me some two weeks from release to actually dare to listen the song for the first time and I did it in a kind of “Morning After” state of mind and body and I got to say: while my feelings were mixed and contradictory I was hooked.

Though I originally wrote just a little bit about the former albums, I must apologize that I left the Undertow and Ænima almost without a remark. Undertow is a great debut album: powerful, rough and unpolished jewel, filled with anger and enthusiasm of adolescence. Æenima: there would be tons of words to write about it. It must be the one TOOL album I’ve listened the most. It’s a remarkable and refined example of how a group of musicians evolve together and still retain the “edge” and roughness of what was presented with the Undertow. It’s a starting point to the tale of human growth and awakening that is still being told today with the Fear Inoculum.

As with growing as a human being, which is a process that will last a whole life time, I truly hope that the tale the TOOL is telling us will last at least as long.

https://youtu.be/q7DfQMPmJRI

What is this? Senior Rock? So familiar in a pleasant and irritating way. Soundscape is beautiful, etheric, dripping with mysticism of yesterday, but also lazy. There are some errors present in musical presentation. Have the Seniors grown tired? I know I have, so why wouldn’t they.

Saturn came back again and went. That moment has long since passed in my life and there is yet a lot of time for the next rising phase. I wasn’t ready then, but now this album release fits perfectly with my self awakening in the midst of the numbing chaos of parental mid-life. Coincidence?

Hyped by the Fear Inoculum (single) I waded through the former albums; Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus. Their pace is something very different but so is mine; my step has shortened since then.

10.000 days has always eluded me. It still hasn’t revealed itself to me and is beyond my understanding. This might be because it was released in the worst possible moment for me, while my life was turbulent and amid a painful but beautiful change. I wonder if now, when the journey of life have taken me to my fifth decade, I could reach some insight I never did before. Lateralus is a diamond. It’s a star brighter than anything and a beautiful tale of human growth. Nothing will ever transcend it. Never.

Then there’s the present: are we now in a space and time, where individual growth has reached a some kind of culmination point and made the individual content? Maybe inner peace gives permission for a human to slow down, stop. When gazed through the eyes of an outside observer he might be seen as an uncle flubby. As the one who doesn’t storm the barricade anymore. As the one who still feels gut gripping nausea inside of him when he is presented by images of victimization and disinformation by the flashing media in front of him. But instead of raising up his fist he just curses this broken and incomplete world inside his mind and lays on the sofa. Pleased by the state of his own life and what it has become. Pleased by the peace he has achieved, all the while understanding that the world will never be complete. Because there are billions of tales of growth in process and his brother on the other side of our tiny cosmic ball of rock is still clinging to the grudge, wearing it like a crown. Maybe till the day he dies.

He looks back to the time when he left his mark in this world. Screamed and raged against the machine. He looks at his kids, growing up, who until now have only seen black and white. He waits impatiently for the moment when red and yellow will join the colours and his posterity will experience the same awakening that he once did. The awakening that will shatter their hearts and minds: the bitterness of life, sense of justification, burning feeling of a righteous cause, love and loss. All that will break them apart and build their identity.

He lays on the sofa and paints his life into music with chords and harmonies decorated with words and images of a mind. He organizes his life to mathematical formulae which are sweet, etheric and lazy. There is no need to search for a greater meaning from the movement of the planets anymore. Not from ancient religions, nor from morbid grayish alien hands reaching out through the surrounding multi-dimensions. It is all in him already and he is within it all. In harmony, his place discovered and without Fear. Because he knows that universe will organize itself just like it should.

23/09/2019 DT

Heartfelt thanks to:
Becky Smith, for helping with grammar, content and structure!
Laura Collins, for inspiration and encouragement! https://instagram.com/ljcshutter/
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

Can someone please make a summary? :o
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Raffa D wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:06 am Can someone please make a summary? :o
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
DaddyThinks
Bronco's Fan

Post by DaddyThinks »

:lol: :lol: TLDR: Wut is this? Lazy, familiar, band playing together a bit carelessly, like it, don't, yes I do, no. Ok it's good. Let's hear the rest of it.

Edit: though Boldizar summarized it better...
_peterpwn02
Bronco's Fan

Post by _peterpwn02 »

tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

I was recently listening to a bootleg of one of the Toronto shows I went to (2012) and noticed something that got me thinking. The setlist has historically listed Descending as being premiered on this night in it's shortened version. I had always assumed this was correct because, while experiencing it, I had no frame of reference to compare it to previous or future versions of Descending.

Turns out that what was actually premiered that night is what has been rather unfortunately referred to as the "Bouncy Arab" jam. While I was listening, I had a recent interview with Justin fresh in my memory where he describes the writing process of Fear Inoculum as beginning with the middle section jam and then working backwards.

I've suggested before that Bouncy Arab was indeed an early version of Fear Inoculum but it got shot down by a few. Listening again, I think it is more and more likely that I was correct. First of all, the drums are near identical. While the bass is supposedly in a different key, the rhythm is essentially the same and there's even a portion of the jam that changes to a riff more reminiscent of the eventual bass melody. Adam is the only one who is doing something pretty different from the final version, but even his volume swells are pretty close to those big chords he plays in that section at one moment.

TL;DR - Toronto got an early version of FI in 2012.

36:20 in this video for reference
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Yeah dude I can see where you're coming from. It's a somewhat similar style Justin's playing to the fi verse and that change in the 39 min mark has a similar feel to the section in fi where Maynard sings
Forfeit
All control
You poison
You spectacle

We'll never really know for sure, but as I say, can see the corrolation. And just coz it's in a different key it's not the least bit unreasonable to think justin changed the riff around given we know this is exactly what they do.
Listen to All Them Witches
tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

That's exactly what I think happened. Adam came in with a riff in another key and they had to change one or two things around.