New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
bob
Toast

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by bob »

thank god! its uncertain what will happen at the toronto shows now. will descending be played at both ? no other two city dates till T.O so its up in the air :S if they do the older tunes again please do it at the 1st toronto show!! pleease! lol
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

tys0n wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 pm 5 out of 6, can't complain about that.

But you will.
Culling voices called, said what's up.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

That's just the intro to 7empest if you were playing the holy grail tracklist like us real Tool fans, like how Intension & Right in Two are one song.
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:30 pm
tys0n wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 pm 5 out of 6, can't complain about that.

But you will.
Culling voices called, said what's up.
:lol:
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

tys0n wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 am That's just the intro to 7empest if you were playing the holy grail tracklist like us real Tool fans, like how Intension & Right in Two are one song.
Ahh like how vicarious is just a rip off of schism. My mistake, I feel foolish sorry
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

I still cant believe it

21 days left
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

That is like a really cool setlist.
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

rshforgothispw wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm Bring on NC you fucks christmas is coming early!!!!
Yeah boiiii
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

It’s on like donkey kong
Attachments
896F2567-3DCE-406D-AAE0-68DFA8630132.jpeg
896F2567-3DCE-406D-AAE0-68DFA8630132.jpeg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 12734 times
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Wow, what a great show last night! And a badass poster to go with it. I went in just hoping for the ‘Part of Me’ variation of the setlist, as I have yet to scratch that song off my list. Once I heard them soundchecking ‘Descending,’ I had a feeling we’d be getting a surprise. I’ve been dying to hear it live since the album release and it was amazing. It should remain a staple in the setlist going forward. Thinking about making the drive to Cincy Tuesday night.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

fortysixand2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:21 pm Wow, what a great show last night! And a badass poster to go with it. I went in just hoping for the ‘Part of Me’ variation of the setlist, as I have yet to scratch that song off my list. Once I heard them soundchecking ‘Descending,’ I had a feeling we’d be getting a surprise. I’ve been dying to hear it live since the album release and it was amazing. It should remain a staple in the setlist going forward. Thinking about making the drive to Cincy Tuesday night.
You should definitely make that drive bro.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

bob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm thank god! its uncertain what will happen at the toronto shows now. will descending be played at both ? no other two city dates till T.O so its up in the air :S if they do the older tunes again please do it at the 1st toronto show!! pleease! lol
I’m glad you’re still planning on going. Maybe I’ll see you there?
SteveBobSteve
Baahumbug
Fanboi
Height: 6’1

Post by Baahumbug »

Is there anyone here doing the VIP or just simply going to the show in Pittsburgh?
Would be cool to meet some peeps from this community.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

lol they went back to normal setlist lastnight they are trolling
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

snazzlefrass wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 am
bob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm thank god! its uncertain what will happen at the toronto shows now. will descending be played at both ? no other two city dates till T.O so its up in the air :S if they do the older tunes again please do it at the 1st toronto show!! pleease! lol
I’m glad you’re still planning on going. Maybe I’ll see you there?
nope! haha. looks like Descending was only played at that one show so far..not counting on that but who knows.
St. Troy
My pain is just an excuse

Post by St. Troy »

I have a ticket to see them in Boston on Nov 14 but may sell due to an irritating, infuriating, frustrating, and exhausting combination of problems with life logistics, money, energy, and general ennui. The decision has not been carved in stone, and one factor may be the set list (I could be tempted in either direction).

That's where this thread comes in, or rather, where I thought it would come in, but when I started at the end and went back like 8 pages, strangely...no one has posted a set list, which is miiiiighty odd given that no one on this forum is shy about saying/posting absolutely anything. Maybe they're somewhere else

Anyway, I saw a set list somewhere else (YouTube? possibly), and they played 0 of the 4 songs that would get me really excited to see them: 7empest (my favorite Tool song), The Grudge (my favorite Tool song until I heard 7empest), Descending (possibly my third favorite Tool song behind 7empest and The Grudge), and Invincible (not necessarily #4, but a hell of a ditty). They did play Intolerance (my favorite Tool song until I heard The Grudge), which would be cool to see, but isn't enough to get me to leave the couch, now that I'm old and apathetic (and, pathetic).

I don't want to be too much of a complainer though because Tool doesn't really have any dull songs that don't sound good live (although, if they whip out Prison Sex, I will be displeased), but while things like Schism, Vicarious, The Pot are enjoyable, they aren't high points, and I've gotta have high points (and if you are making weed jokes in your head right now, go ahead and give yourself a high point). Also, I'm aware that one man's disappointing set list is another man's night in heaven; this is about me and not the band missing the mark etc. [Side note: Tool are quite good in this respect; many bands I like have a sizable stable of "classics" that I can't stand, and they often pack the set list with those soft brown gems (how many times have I seen Guns N' Roses do Knockin' On Heaven's Door? FFS.)]

Anyway, my question for those in the know is: is the setlist likely to change at all between now and next week? If not, I may just sell this one and hope their eternal tour returns to Boston in a year or two, this time with a set list more to my liking.
I ain't no pervert; I was just born curious.

I'm your friendly neighborhood peeping Tom.
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pmYou lot are far to busy complaining about what you haven't got instead of being thankful for what you do have. Here read this. First article I found from a quick Google search.

. https://www.wanderlustworker.com/7-cruc ... your-life/
Nice try, but it won't work, I'm a dick.

St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 am I have a ticket to see them in Boston on Nov 14 but may sell...
...but then I swing in the other direction and think "they're great musicians who put on a great show - what the f*ck is wrong with you??? GO!!"

St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

Also:

It irks me that they played both Invincible and Descending before the album came out, but now play...neither? :x And when I get irked, even by a tiny thing, I turn into a lunatic and run away as if from the plague (translation: the fact that they played I & D before but not now increases the likelihood that I will sell the ticket; I understand that this is illogical and hurts only me).

ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:55 am Also:

It irks me that they played both Invincible and Descending before the album came out, but now play...neither? :x And when I get irked, even by a tiny thing, I turn into a lunatic and run away as if from the plague (translation: the fact that they played I & D before but not now increases the likelihood that I will sell the ticket; I understand that this is illogical and hurts only me).
Invincible has been on every setlist so far during this US tour.
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/tool-2bd6d ... r=6bd046be
And only TooL knows why they aren't having Descending on the setlist this leg.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am
St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 am I have a ticket to see them in Boston on Nov 14 but may sell...
...but then I swing in the other direction and think "they're great musicians who put on a great show - what the f*ck is wrong with you??? GO!!"
That's the correct feeling. Just fucking go, man. Don't miss them while they're still touring.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

ms2r wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:05 am
St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:55 am Also:

Invincible has been on every setlist so far during this US tour.
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/tool-2bd6d ... r=6bd046be
And only TooL knows why they aren't having Descending on the setlist this leg.
Pow! Right in the kisser.
Deftones!
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

joeypants wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:38 am
St. Troy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am
That's the correct feeling. Just fucking go, man. Don't miss them while they're still touring.
Agreed. They may not be playing the songs you want to hear, but they're playing Tool songs...and they're playing the hell out of them.

The two shows they played in Los Angeles last month rivaled their shows in 2006/2007 after 10,000 Days was released.

The guys are dialed in, having fun, and putting on an epic show.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Stopped by Chicago and got some good tickets for United Center - 202 level 1st row.Went to ZZ Top the night before up near the border of Wisconsin which was a bit of a mission but good times. 
Tool were on after Killing Joke did a pretty rad set of american psycho'ish sounding punkpop(?) - they'd pulled the curtain thing around before Danny came out whereas other times it seems to have been revealing itself at the beginning of the song while he's chiming away. Only played a couple of doinks before Adam had the song going - I enjoyed the previous shows of him chiming away ~10 times and the vibe it created to get everyone amped, but whatever.
The visuals for FI are stunning and the effect the curtain creates with the projections of rainbows oozing down with eyeball iris stuff is killer. Same goes for Pnueuma and the red theme it has going on. The surround-sound on a couple of the songs are cool - hopefully can be done on a few more tracks as the tour evolves. CC-trip is virtuoso stuff. 
The rest of the set was a bit paint-by-numbers - still Tool, and yeah so MJK likes to take amps up on his little perch and swing his legs like a kid on it etc.
I feel the use of lazers are dialed back this tour - i.e. previous tours had the blue geometric waves falling down from the roof during aenima, amongst other quirks. Might be technically not possible with the song early on with the curtain still shrouding the stage. 
Invincible was missing the whole purple/green neon bug themed visuals they've used on debut and euro leg (I think?)

All told - the new tracks are killer live. But there's only 3 of them + CCT (which, btw, had an exceptional gong intro). The rest of the set goes as expected - just mid-range ok - but that comes from the totally distorted (and fortunate) lens of having seen these guys a few times over the years. Adding Descending and 7empest, bringing back the pyramid thing and the neon bug circus for invincible and the gig would have easily been a 12/10. I thought the sound was pretty shitty at united center for vocals in particular - muddy - only time you could hear MJK pronouncing anything was during parabol when the rest was dialed down. If you went to this show and didn't know what the lyrics were it would have been a pretty rough ride. IDK if this is a venue specific thing but it was actually really bad, from where I was anyway.
@junior - nothing but praise for what you and team do.... more specifically putting up with these somewhat  ill-informed posts, and offering your own insight to all the magic whenever possible. Thank you. 
202 Tool.jpg
202 Tool.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 12152 times
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

earthrocker wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:48 am Pow! Right in the kisser.
Really, Earth? Family Guy quotes? Lame!
SteveBobSteve