New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

The Main Event
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Re: New Album Touring (with SPOILERS!)

Post by snazzlefrass »

bob wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:15 am i wont take Steve to concerts anymore cause i end up babysitting him/hes bad luck. total drunk! haha
Typical Steve. What a character.
SteveBobSteve
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Remember, God created Bob and Eve, not Bob and Steve.
Canned audience laughter
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Blasphemy
SteveBobSteve
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Tyson ya big homo!
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Well scored a decent ticket for tonight in SD for face value if anybody is looking for tickets, Ticketmaster just released a good amount on their website. Always stoked to see these gentlemen live and hope for more FI songs this time around. Anybody going to SD tonight, I am working and can’t meet up to early before the show, but just curious.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

the chill wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm Well scored a decent ticket for tonight in SD for face value if anybody is looking for tickets, Ticketmaster just released a good amount on their website. Always stoked to see these gentlemen live and hope for more FI songs this time around. Anybody going to SD tonight, I am working and can’t meet up to early before the show, but just curious.
Hope you have a great time tonight. With you in spirit Chill!

I think Marcus Poop is down there too. \m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

The San Diego show tonight was fantastic! Perfect mix and all band members sounded great and on point. Maynard's vocals were loud and clear. I don't think they made any mistakes whatsoever, at least none that I could obviously notice. Very tight performance.

Fear Inoculum (the song) sounds a LOT heavier live when they are playing right in front of you. Loved it. For anyone going to see them on this tour, please note TOOL come on stage at exactly 8:45pm and finish just after 11pm. A few fans tonight weren't in their seats when the house lights went out so be warned. You'll love what they are doing with this tour, set lists, visuals, stage show etc.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

How long was A Passage to Bangkok played for?

I was hoping they'd bust out YYZ.
Canned audience laughter
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

^I actually disagree with what's posted on Setlist.fm

Adam Jones played the opening riff from Cold & Ugly just as a tease, maybe 5 or 6 seconds only, and then launched straight into the Jambi riff. It was just an opening/tease of a song and nothing else.

When Danny came out after the intermission to do his thing, they put up a pic of Danny with Neil Peart and Danny jammed a little longer on his own after doing CC Trip. After the house lights came on at the end they were playing Rush over the PA. A few people sat back down to enjoy the moment :)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Adam use to play ''a passage to bangkok'' as a little intro to Cold & Ugly going back as far as 94 and did that up till 2002 when they still played Cold & Ugly regularly.

did they have any pics of neil on the screens before the show? doing the intro and playing Rush after the show is cool enough of course. For the Gwar dude that died they had an animated pic of him on the screens before the show that night.

really sucks hearing about Neil Peart. ah.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Ok sorry I didn't recognise the 'A Passage To Bangkok' part, I just thought it was him messing around in between songs. It was when he looked over at Justin to start what we thought would be Jambi that he launched into the first riff of Cold & Ugly... he paused for about 1 second and went straight into Jambi. Cold & Ugly would be great, but Jambi is one of my favourite songs, especially when they nail it live (like last night)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

no need to be sorry! the intro kinda sounds like Cold & Ugly when he plays it so im assuming thats why he did it years ago cause he likes Rush and it works. Jambi seems it kinda fits too. So does Adam just rip Rush off and we didnt know ? haha ;)

Ya, Jambi was one of the highlights at the 2nd Toronto show. i liked the synth thing that the killing joke guy did too. everyone in my section was cheering so loud during that song. its a good one live!
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Yeah, this clip from the Boston show is probably the best quality version of what you're talking about:

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I've had my face melted by Jambi and also been fairly underwhelmed by it. Sometimes that I've seen it the temp has been a little bit too slow and it's lost some of its woocha. When they get it right it's a beast of a live song.
Listen to All Them Witches
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

I think that's true of any live song they do. I love Parabola but a couple of times Maynard's vocals have been a little flat or Adam doesn't sound that loud or the band are just a little out of sync for some reason. They're at a stage now with so many good songs to choose from and so tight as performers that just about every song sounds good live right now.

Friday night's show in San Diego was possibly the tightest show I've seen them play and a big part of that was Maynard singing well, loud vocal mix and just generally being enthusiastic. It's a great vibe overall.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

This is true. Probably just because I've seen the song 8 times now I have a bigger pool to draw comparisons from.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

M was ok at the 2nd toronto show. he could of been louder but thats common so if you get a better show that way,its a bit rare. in 2012 he was the loudest i had heard him with tool in a long time. still one of the best shows ive seen of them, other then the 90s and early 2000s but im not really counting those.
lukas
Geacon

Post by lukas »

just looked at the setlist from yesterday. that's gotta be one of their longest ones so far?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Looks like they are alternating Part of Me and Descending. Hopefully SJ gets Descending.

I am stoked for my shows this week, but yeah, a couple more set list tweaks would have been welcomed.
Ki77aan :twisted:
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

They also added in The Pot last night.

We didn't get Descending on night two in San Diego but we got The Pot and Part Of Me instead so it's a nice substitution in terms of total song lengths etc. Didn't feel like we missed out nor did it feel like the show was shorter. Band came on just before 8:45pm and finished at 10:55pm so maybe the show was 5 minutes shorter at most. However, Maynard's vocals in The Pot were fantastic and Part Of Me was unreal. Maynard didn't really hold anything back except for maybe one scream part. He sounds great right now and the mix/volume for his vocals is the best I've ever heard them do in any show.

The only other cut in the set list was we got the 'regular' version of Schism. The band still ended the show with the extended version of Stinkfist though. If anyone can find a clip of last night's performance of Aenema, it's probably the best/tightest version I've ever seen them do at any show. Seemed flawless.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

^Bummed we didn't get Descending last night. I still haven't heard it live. Guess I'm just going to have to try and catch another show. :D

All around another incredible show though. Still amazed at how good the guys are sounding, and the entire experience (lights, videos, etc.) is just excellent.

\m/
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

bob wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 pm So does Adam just rip Rush off and we didnt know ? haha ;)
Many people have over the years. I'm guilty of it.
Their Lighting Designer (Howard Ungerleider) is one of my biggest influences.
He was with them for about 44 years.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Fuck you lost are getting me amped for next month. All reports are they on fiiire
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Wait a second. It’s the same setlist as last leg?

At least Pearl Jam announces new dates.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Takeo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm Wait a second. It’s the same setlist as last leg?
Are you surprised by this outcome?