Height: 182cm

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by hellboy »

At least they could send us a photo of their new sportscars or something
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

So I personally love the book and 35 bucks is NOT bad but if I had to critique it I would say leave the CD out and just charge $25! As far as a money grab Yes that's what this is but again just reference HWAP, but seriously when Slipknot released WANYK there was like 10 different packages for $25 to $250. I would get emails every other day about new Slipknot signed merch. Bands push merch its what they do at least TOOL gives us Top Notch art for a reasonable price.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Professor of Lesbian Science
JooP
Maynard Believer

Post by JooP »

nxrm wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 am Fear Inoculum CD now available for less than list price on Amazon (currently at $37.28).

Feel a bit bad for anyone that paid over list price for a copy.

Patience, patience.
I ordered mine last night and it came today. I’m glad I was patient ‘cause I was considering paying $60 or more on ebay. It’ll be nice to finally hear the lossless version on my home stereo rather than the mp3 version in the car.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Shed523 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:25 am So I personally love the book and 35 bucks is NOT bad but if I had to critique it I would say leave the CD out and just charge $25! As far as a money grab Yes that's what this is but again just reference HWAP, but seriously when Slipknot released WANYK there was like 10 different packages for $25 to $250. I would get emails every other day about new Slipknot signed merch. Bands push merch its what they do at least TOOL gives us Top Notch art for a reasonable price.
Definitely curious and interested, but I'm on the fence about actually picking up this book release. I bought the special edition and paid for a high quality download. It's a stellar album, just not sure that I'm up for paying for it a third time. :lol:
JooP wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:53 pm I ordered mine last night and it came today. I’m glad I was patient ‘cause I was considering paying $60 or more on ebay. It’ll be nice to finally hear the lossless version on my home stereo rather than the mp3 version in the car.
Congrats!
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Professor of Lesbian Science
walter
Bronco's Fan

Post by walter »

posted the below on reddit. wonder if you guys have any reactions? it was a GRIPES and CRITICISMS post.

hey gang,

let me start by saying tool is my musical world. i've seen dozens of shows since the mid-90s and damn near idolize their music.

i also think F.I. is a masterpiece. it's just.... spectacular in so many ways. i've listened to almost nothing else since its release.

however, a few things have been disappointing to me. and i wanted to get your takes:

even though we technically waited 13 years, the reality is they only worked on it for 4-5 (per several interviews), and i actually think they rushed the end product by a good margin. joe baressi didn't have an initial listen unlike 10K, i think the band overpromised with announcing the short U.S. and european tour and needed to wrap things up quickly, etc. as a result, the final thing was a bit messy. didn't quite have the polished overall feel of the previous albums.

maynard was way too uninvolved. i know what he says about this all the time, but it's a lie or a half-truth. he distanced himself more with this album than with the previous ones because of his other commitments and because he was annoyed with the lengthy process. justin said in an interview with danny how he totally gets it and it must suck to emotionally commit to a part and then have to go back and redo it. but fuck that shit. what about the rest of the band's emotional commitment? it's the same with them and maynard shouldn't get a free rid. him taking a back seat is noticeable. i actually love most vocal parts. however, there is less imagination and variety to the lyrics. you can tell that the music hasn't quite seeped in the way previous albums have. this is not a no yelling complaint, btw. i'm cool with it. the music doesn't really call for it.

justin is way too low in the mix in many songs. so disappointing! he fucking rocks this album.

the segues are a bit lazy. kind of cool in parts, but not fun and exploratory like many of their previous ones. i will say, though, that i think mockingbird is damn near genius. no joke.

culling voices is half-assed. it's like they took a segue and spliced it with a half-finished undertow-era song (a good one, btw). still listen to it all the time and dig it a lot.

the drumming is noticeably sloppy in parts. i made a separate post about this. i think some drummers acknowledged as much, but it probably doesn't feel that way to the majority of listeners, so maybe that one's "a little too inside." :)

that one bass riff that begins the major second theme in 7empest. it's fucking right in two. does no one else hear it? it's like literally the same thing just a tiny bit stretched out. it only appears twice and i think the song is fucking killer, but still.

and last, but not least, the fucking sales, website management, and packaging shitshow we've seen. what the fuck is up with their just absolutely ridiculous website? why the fuck can we not get a normal CD without all the extra stuff (though i love mine and will cherish it!)? don't really give a shit about this one, but for many of you - where's the fucking vinyl? the "expanded book" thing is childish bullshit. seriously? you want folks to dish out another near $40 for a few extra stickers or whatever?

that's all. just needed to get that off my chest. /rant
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Christmas coming soon guys.
Deftones!
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

walter wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am ...

the drumming is noticeably sloppy in parts. i made a separate post about this. i think some drummers acknowledged as much, but it probably doesn't feel that way to the majority of listeners, so maybe that one's "a little too inside." :)

I can see that the drums sound like drums being played by a human and not the quantized production-standard we are used to these days. I love Danny for sounding like that (!)
I guess "sloppy" is the wrong description, but that's just my opinion.

PS: I'm a drummer.
walter
Bronco's Fan

Post by walter »

Spoonman wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:30 am

I can see that the drums sound like drums being played by a human and not the quantized production-standard we are used to these days. I love Danny for sounding like that (!)

hey man. yea, i'm a drummer too. i would never expect them to quantize or play to a click. danny's talked about this a million times in interviews and i love it.

i was referring to something else. he made 3-4 actual mistakes. i know every album like note for note and this is the first time for him. haven't picked up on anything like that in previous albums in 25 years of listening. even the live drums in opiate are spot on!

in case you're curious - one, two opening trills in pneuma are uneven. a couple of doubles in the heavier sections of invincible (right before the synth solo) are off. hits occur a smidge too close together. and the hammered dulcimer (or whatever the fuck that sound is) in 7empest is also uneven a couple of times. to be fair, that could be adam being off, though.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Ok, with your examples given, I know what you are talking about.
I guess we just take it different.
Listening to these 10min+ drumming-madness songs don't make me worry about some uneven hits. :-)

Btw. I totally loved the Volto record, which had even more "vivid" sounding drums than FI does.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Why are they wrong? Danny intended them to be that way.
Seen Maynard perform? He is more into it then a few tours ago.
Justin is pretty good in the mix but really fear inoculum benefits a lot from a good sound system.
The segues are segues. Just like always.
Culling voices is different.

By far this is the best produced album I have ever listened to.
walter
Bronco's Fan

Post by walter »

danny's fucking killing it on this record, mistakes or no. just brilliant in parts. i have no idea how he can have so many different fills.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

walter wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:43 am

hey man. yea, i'm a drummer too. i would never expect them to quantize or play to a click. danny's talked about this a million times in interviews and i love it.

i was referring to something else. he made 3-4 actual mistakes. i know every album like note for note and this is the first time for him. haven't picked up on anything like that in previous albums in 25 years of listening. even the live drums in opiate are spot on!

in case you're curious - one, two opening trills in pneuma are uneven. a couple of doubles in the heavier sections of invincible (right before the synth solo) are off. hits occur a smidge too close together. and the hammered dulcimer (or whatever the fuck that sound is) in 7empest is also uneven a couple of times. to be fair, that could be adam being off, though.
Canned audience laughter
walter
Bronco's Fan

Post by walter »

tys0n wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:25 pm
walter wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:43 am

Lol!!!!
JooP
Maynard Believer

Post by JooP »

I dunno about any mistakes, but I feel that he way overplays in a lot of the parts in my opinion.
Imtheman
Maynard Believer

Post by Imtheman »

Does anyone have a customer service # to get in contact with the people handling the fi albums? I'm so fed up with everything about this
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Imtheman wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:21 am Does anyone have a customer service # to get in contact with the people handling the fi albums? I'm so fed up with everything about this
777 777-7777
Ki77aan :twisted:
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Anyone with a 5.1 sound system should try playing the album in Pro Logic.

"CC Trip" moves around your room in 360°, it sounds just like it was mixed in 5.1 :)
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Spoonman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm Anyone with a 5.1 sound system should try playing the album in Pro Logic.

"CC Trip" moves around your room in 360°, it sounds just like it was mixed in 5.1 :)
i dont have 5.1 and i use to think (still sorta do) its kind of gimmicky but electronic music seems to make sense for something like this. cool! ill have to remember that!
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I agree over all that this album was rushed in terms of production. There are several mistakes on the drum track throughout the album, but the worst thing is the overall sound. It still sounds good, but it isn't a consistent experience. Sometimes there is distortion, sometimes the mix gets really compressed, etc...
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am I agree over all that this album was rushed in terms of production. There are several mistakes on the drum track throughout the album, but the worst thing is the overall sound. It still sounds good, but it isn't a consistent experience. Sometimes there is distortion, sometimes the mix gets really compressed, etc...
Weird. I have a hard time listening other albums these days because of the wonderful produced sound on fear inoculum. The sound is so full and rich, filled with crisp details.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I have very few problems with the FI production, and hear any of the mistakes. One guy on the blog was adamant there was one, I took a listen to the exact part he pointed out and heard nothing. Maybe there is a mistake there, but for better or worse my ears are unable to comprehend it.

Tbh I think it's a bonus that I'm a relative non-audiophile. I'm able to relish the music, rather than nit pick at other things.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

hellboy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Tbh I think it's a bonus that I'm a relative non-audiophile. I'm able to relish the music, rather than nit pick at other things.
This.

The only thing I notice on the entire album is that the intro to invincible is fairly quiet compared to what's come before it. I guess maybe it could have had a little boost in volume but I'm sure it's just because it's a single guitar with a clean effect that it just seems quiter.
Listen to All Them Witches
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Look at my hooves!! Look at my hooves!!!

Neigh!!!!

My hooves....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris