Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said

The Boss said
Feel free to give your explanation...

I already have.  You've chosen not to understand, and I've chosen to not continue as I suspect it's more a matter of you being difficult rather than an actual misunderstanding.

Fucking hell. I answered your question. If you didn't want to hear an answer you disagreed with, why did you bother?

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss said 
Fucking hell. I answered your question. If you didn't want to hear an answer you disagreed with, why did you bother?

No you didn't you said you didn't understand the question, and I don't feel like having to explain it when it's going to end up being a waste of an argument.

You think it's fine for Trent/NIN to indulge, but it's not ok for the members of Tool.  I already know the answer to my question.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Trent's delay between TDS and The Fragile wasn't due to laziness. Delay between The Fragile and WT wasn't either. Plus he didn't spend 2 1/2 years saying he's hoping to be in the studio in "x" month. Then not doing it. I'm GUESSING that's what Crow means, maybe? Either way what I wrote is true.

Again, for the record, Tool's delay doesn't bother me. It'll be out when its out.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

One mans laziness is another mans indulgence.  That's all I'm trying to say.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

That's true but it doesn't apply in Trent's case.

He toured TDS til 96, did a couple soundtracks, released a remix album for TDS, released the Closure concert/videos collection, started working on The Fragile in 97 which obviously took him a long ass time before it was released.  Also keep in mind that he did release a few new songs in this time period. 

After The Fragile was toured for he admitted to having lots of alcohol/drug problems and it obviously took him a while to get his shit together.

The only reason I used the word "laziness" with Tool is because Adam himself said it. 

I'll leave it at that because you seem to wanna get away from this conversation, just know that all I mean is that Tool's current situation is nothing at all like Trent's was back in the day.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig said
That's true but it doesn't apply in Trent's case.

Trent was indulging, Tool are indulging.  They were both indulging.  That is the only point I'm trying to make.  The only difference here is that Trent is perceived to be a good guy (a statement I don't disagree with).  Indulgence is the ability to do what you want.  I've outlined a number of projects Tool have worked on in the last 7 years.  That many of those projects aren't Tool is irrelevant to me.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
One mans laziness is another mans indulgence.  That's all I'm trying to say.

Thanks, Piglet. That was exactly my point.

I'll reiterate - Reznor has ALWAYS been good to his fans, to the point where he told fans in Australia to pirate his album once he realised how expensive it was in the country. He did lots of original bits and pieces between albums (one major one off the top of my head was the incredible "LOST HIGHWAY" soundtrack). He always kept fans up to date on what was going on in his life. I know, because I remember following all of that stuff when I was in my late teens/early twenties.

His indulgence was a critically acclaimed and eventual fan-favourite double album after six years from the previous one.

That is NOT lazy.

TOOL, on the other hand, have done dick. Nothing. No, you can't count DVDs and other bullshit. They haven't even played a new riff during one of their many concerts since the last album. I don't care too much about the length of time between albums - but I do get pissed that they just clearly don't give a fuck about what their fans are thinking. To act superior to the very people who made them able to take time off and dick around is fucking rude.

Luckily, they're so good that the original fans will jump all over the next truly "new" thing that they do. Until then, yes: they are lazy, and rude. Reznor isn't/wasn't for the above reasons, plus probably a bunch I haven't addressed.

As I said, I thought that that was obvious. It's obvious to anyone who has been a pretty big fan of NIN.

There was no reason for you to get all defensive and make assumptions even after I answered your question (although I will admit my tone was unfortunately haughty).

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Back on track: I got the first HTDA EP (based just on the name for the group - holy shit COIL, amirite? Fucking fuck yeah). Not fantastic, and couldn't see any point to follow them.

I don't know, I guess tastes just change. I still really respect Reznor as a musician and for his ability to pull one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen in my life, but I think the fun bus has stopped and I've got off.