The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

NYHC81 said
The Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are the two most recent comic book movies I've seen. you're sick of those? cynical fuck

Why don't you cry about it then?
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

Watched The Lookout again last night on dvd.

Mildly intresting thriller starring that Joseph Gordon Levitt guy, about a physically disabled ex ic hockey star, now working as a cleaner in a bank who inadvertantly gets caught up with some arch crim bank robbers.

Decent rainy evening dvd fare.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Calfium Jay said
Watched The Lookout again last night on dvd.

Mildly intresting thriller starring that Joseph Gordon Levitt guy, about a physically disabled ex ic hockey star, now working as a cleaner in a bank who inadvertantly gets caught up with some arch crim bank robbers.

Decent rainy evening dvd fare.

I always see that movie on at like 2 o'clock in the morning.

Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I don't cry cuz Batman don't cry. Batman dance.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

If you haven't seen "THE FOUNTAIN" then there are several factors:

1. You haven't seen it.

2. You have seen it.

3. You saw it, and you didn't like it.

1. and 2. do these ones: WATCH IT.

3. I hate you. Kill yourself. No joke. Fuck off. You're the worst person on the planet. Die. Go. Fuck off.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

CJ29 and I watched this film when we were dating long distance.  We were both on the phone and had our dvd players synced up.  I LOVE THIS FILM!!!!  Darren Aronofsky is a genius!  We loved the film b/c we both feel as if we were lovers in a previous life.  Such a great film!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

badkittygothgirl said
CJ29 and I watched this film when we were dating long distance.  We were both on the phone and had our dvd players synced up.  I LOVE THIS FILM!!!!  Darren Aronofsky is a genius!  We loved the film b/c we both feel as if we were lovers in a previous life.  Such a great film!

And that's why you and me are buds.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

have to watch the Fountain again. got super baked the first time. can't wait for "Noah". Aronofsky is a beast.
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

I just saw Spring Breakers.

And I must say.....it was GENIUS!! Pure unadulterated GENIUS.

:Review to come shortly:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The Fountain is amazing and a horribly underpraised entry in Aronofsky's filmography. Reduces me to a blubbering mess instantly.

Also, UPSTREAM COLOR is out today!! Had no idea it was coming out this quickly. Fucking hell cannot wait.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said
The Fountain is amazing and a horribly underpraised entry in Aronofsky's filmography. Reduces me to a blubbering mess instantly.

Also, UPSTREAM COLOR is out today!! Had no idea it was coming out this quickly. Fucking hell cannot wait.

A true prince among men. Well said.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yet to see an Aronofsky film that I haven't loved. "BLACK SWAN" pushed it, though.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Calfium Jay said

I seriously doubt that...

After four college girls rob a fast food joint to fund their spring break in Florida, they hit the road and wind up in jail and hungover. They're bailed out by a deeply weird dude named Alien, who demands their help with his own criminal enterprises.

Cast:

James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, Gucci Mane, Heather Morris, Ash Lendzion, Emma Holzer, Jeff Jarrett
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Really? I fucking loved Black Swan. I could see it though, it's definitely the "odd duck," if you will, out of his films I think.

Seriously recommend Upstream Color though. I assume most of you have seen/loved Primer. It's the same director. Read nothing; just watch. Seriously, both of his films are best going into completely blind.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan said

Calfium Jay said

After four college girls rob a fast food joint to fund their spring break in Florida, they hit the road and wind up in jail and hungover. They're bailed out by a deeply weird dude named Alien, who demands their help with his own criminal enterprises.

Cast:

James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, Gucci Mane, Heather Morris, Ash Lendzion, Emma Holzer, Jeff Jarrett

That's most of the point though. By all accounts, it's very good and all of the above "counter evidence" you mentioned is very intentional. This is, after all, the fucking director of Gummo. It's not what you think it is.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yeah, follow up to "PRIMER" will be full of win. I couldn't believe how hard it was for people to get "PRIMER". There's almost a niche-genre now: "films that people don't get, not because they're terrible - but still should be pretty accessible".

"BLACK SWAN" was a remarkable film, and a great risk for Aronofsky. The whole reason being, that it was almost impossible for a man to relate to that movie in any way shape or form. I loved every part of it - except for the fact that it wanted me to give a damn.

I didn't. And I would understand if any woman saw "THE WRESTLER" and thought: "So?"

It would've worked better, for me, had he had followed his original vision for both films.

Fingers crossed for "NOAH". Crowe, ugh.

But still. Should be great.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

joeypants said

Kittaan said

Calfium Jay said

Cast:

That's most of the point though. By all accounts, it's very good and all of the above "counter evidence" you mentioned is very intentional. This is, after all, the fucking director of Gummo. It's not what you think it is.

I've seen several movies, with all-star casts, that sucked.

Can't mention any now, but film-stars do not a movie make.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

RE: Spring Breakers - Fair enough.  I'll put it in the queue.  I am certainly not above watching fluff movies.  If I can't handle them, I'll just move on, no big deal.

Speaking of fluff, how do you folks feel about Apatow movies?  I thought I had my fill, but decided to try "This is 40".  I actually really liked it.  Yes, it's formulaic and a bit tired around the edges... but there were some fucking hilarious scenes.  I can say the same about most of the other Apatow movies I've seen.  Some have been unwatchable, but there are usually at least a few great scenes.

[I know that discussing Aronofsky (also a big fan) and Apatow movies on the same page of a thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but wtf?  Just curious.) 
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I fucking loved Primer!!!  He made that movie for $7500.  Definitely looking forward to the follow up.

Has anyone here seen Iron Sky?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan said
RE: Spring Breakers - Fair enough.  I'll put it in the queue.  I am certainly not above watching fluff movies.  If I can't handle them, I'll just move on, no big deal.

Can't wait to hear your reaction. Hahahaha.

I love a lot of Apatow's output, but Funny People really lost me. It was OK, despite my intense loathing of Adam Sandler, but waaaaaaaaay too fucking long. This is the main reason I've been so reticent to jump into This is 40. You've got to really offer compelling reasons for me to watch something that long. I mean, I love long movies when done well (most of Christopher Nolan's output, Kubrick, Coppola, Malick, etc. etc.). If you like Apatow and have never watched Freaks and Geeks, do yourself a favor and fix that post haste.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ F&G was great.  Watched it on TV, and have the box set.  8`)

Give This is 40 a shot.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I've always planned to, it just got put on the back-burner for a bit. Usually if I'm annoyed with a movie pre-release, it's best for me to just wait until I'm really in the mood.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

my very close friend had a serious 6 month episode about 10-15 years back. he went completely out of his tits. he also made us all watch the most awesome, insane or insanely bad movies. plus a lot of music (most of which was actually pretty good, this is how we discovered Bruford). making us all squirm was highly entertaining to him. the mind of a man who took waayyyy too much acid and has a family with a long history of mental illness. long history like four generations worth.

these are some of the things we marveled at, watched awkwardly, thoroughly enjoyed, cringed and listened too (very loudly I might add). enjoy!

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

waking life is awesome... Gummo is wierd... Buffalo 66 is rubbish

side note on 66 though is I got to meet a lot of people involved , in passing mind you, as they did a large portion of filming in house and around my neighborhood.  I actually found out they were filming this as I stumbled upon the driveway of the 'parents house', leaving the adjacent cemetary whilst tripping face with a mate.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining