Questions for Adam

The Main Event
craigw
Maynard Believer

Post by craigw »

Ok, Q&A time was upon us. We were ushered into a function room after exiting the arena. Grabbed a drink from the esky and then picked up our merch bags. Won’t go into the merch as I noticed this morning that someone posted up a picture of what you got.  I quickly took a seat on the end of the front row and waited patiently for Adam to arrive. I noticed a table was setup with an amp, a couple of pedals were on the floor in front of the table also. I had previously read from a review in Melbourne that he played Jambi for everyone, so was expecting the same thing again here. You could still hear some tweaking and twiddling going on from the main arena but after 10 mins or so this stopped. We were told by representative of the band that he would be through shortly. 

Frank his guitar tech came through the door first and started setting things up, Adam quickly came through after and said hey and thanks for coming along. I think everyone was a little bit shell shocked at first but very quickly warmed to Adam and relaxed, he instantly came across as a very humble and down to earth bloke.

Adam gave a quick run down of the Q&A protocol, he would play through a song, Jambi for us and show us some guitar techniques, time signature info etc etc, then we could ask as many questions and whatever we wanted (explaining that questions deemed too personal he had the right not to answer).

Now, I will stress this, I am not a musician and I have never played a musical instrument before. So I might not cover or make mistakes in talking about the tech side of what Adam went through, apologies for this.

Anyway, after a little bit of a breakdown of how the band go about writing their material Adam hooks up his iphone with Jambi on, albeit Jambi with the guitar taken out so Adam can play along. He faultlessly plays through the song, moving around the room at one point to stand just in front of me, which was pretty cool. After this he demonstrated a couple of techniques for playing and answered some guitar tech questions that unfortunately I cannot recall. I do remember him mentioning Ted Nugent and Trey Gunn (King Crimson) as people who have taught him certain techniques with the guitar and have inspired him.

When it came to question time everyone was a little hesitant bar one guy. This was the same guy who requested Eulogy in the soundcheck and to be fair to him, he certainly knew his stuff, asking some good questions. I will try and run off a mini list of Q&A’s:

The Pot Video – Still being worked on, got a little confusing as to whether it’s a promo video or a doco but from what I understood it’s a video. He also mentioned it tieing in with the new album.

The new album – Someone was always going to ask the question about when is it going to be out. There was a slight tone to Adams voice of, Christ not this question again, but he simply said ‘when it’s finished’. They have 10 tracks down and a whole heap of other material. He was optimistic it could be out this year. But as we all know, we have heard so many different things from various members of the band. I took the answer to this one with a pinch of salt.

Favourite artists of the band/inspiration/favourite album – as he mentioned earlier in the session they all have an eclectic taste in music and bring those influences together to form Tool. The reply from Adam was as good as he could do really, the guy loves lots of different types of music (as I am sure many of us on here do as well) and couldn’t pick a favourite album. This wasn’t the only question where it could have perhaps been worded or thought out a little better. A number of times the initial question was a little too open-ended and then when met with Adams reply, the question asker would try to clarify what they were asking but end up making it sound more convoluted and talking over Adam a bit. But hey, I can’t complain, I didn’t stick my hand up (had no intention of either – I genuinely couldn’t think of anything before hand – there are a couple of questions I might have asked now on reflection). I would say this only occurred two or three times max.

There was a standout cringe worthy question from a lady, well she had two questions. The first she asked about why Maynard was so shy. It was a daft question that unsurprisingly was met with a daft answer in that Adam simply said ‘I don’t know, it’s a mystery’. Her second question I cannot recall but she did redeem herself in that it wasn’t a question a teenager would ask. I believe she also called out in the soundcheck that Maynard was hot as well. Need I say anymore. But again, I didn’t have the stones to speak out so all power to her.

Tour story – towards the end of the session Adam told a story of being on tour in Europe. They were over there with Fishbone and Adam had the shits because Spain wasn’t stocking Undertow in its music stores. So he wasn’t having the best of times. John ‘Norwood’ Fisher of Fishbone apparently had a habbit of when needing to relieve himself, finding a nearby drinking glass and urinating in it. Then placing the glass back in its original spot. Meaning someone had to pick it up, yada yada yada, jokes on them. Ah the fun of the 90’s. Anyway, one evening Adam had been having a crappy night, show didn’t go well and he ended up knocking one of these glasses on to himself making him even madder. To take his revenge he purchased a large wheel of cheese and hid it under a seat on Fishbone’s bus. That led to arguments in the Fishbone camp about who had dirty stinking laundry on the bus and then that led on to a full on fist fight between the band. Mr Jones had his revenge but never confessed to the crime.

Scientology show – All media BS. They did play a show at the Scientology church in LA but they are not followers of the ‘movement’.

Opiate release – it took them three days to sign the 5,000 copies. It involved them sliding along tables in wheely office chairs and various people laying them out along a table. Someone asked about the golden ticket to which Adam didn’t seem to know anything about. He them looked over to Tools manager (Pete I believe his name was) who said the winners would be getting limited edition goodies of some description. He didn’t seem to know the full deal and it’s possible he is just a tour manager for down under. He seemed to have an Aussie accent. Which I know doesn’t necessarily mean anything but his answer was on the vague side.

Live DVD – they want to do one, production costs and record companies taking their share is a stumbling block on that. Think someone else has mentioned this in their review.

Merch/Live Shows – Another interesting point was how he talked about the detail that goes into the merchandise. Such a quality of t-shirt used and the design. He spoke about the way music is going now that people won’t being paying for music anymore, arguably we have been at that stage for some time now. The importance of giving the fans that bit more (referring to the artwork used in their albums) is key in a digital age. They are proud of their live shows as well and when playing the same venue on different tours (mentioning that Tool had played the Entertainment Centre in 2011) he stressed the importance of changing things up from a visual and lighting perspective.

Somewhere in the middle of all the questions, Adam casually walked over to me and dropped his guitar into my hands. A few guys around me were a bit ‘woah’ kind of thing. I was more shitting myself that I might drop the damn thing, the weight of it certainly caught me off guard. Again, not being a musician I maybe couldn’t appreciate it like some other. I took a quick look at both sides and passed it on to the guy to my left who looked like he was ready to snatch it from my grasp anyway. Interestingly he has had this Gibson Silverburst since the beginning of Tool. Pointing out the wearing away of the paint around the neck and the indentation on the body of the guitar where his hands/fingers sit was quite cool as well. A fellow VIP thought it might have been a battle scar of some description. One mullet endowed guy did ask if he could borrow Adams pick and have a quick play, to which Adam happily obliged.

Over half an hour had passed and it was time to line up for a photo and autograph. I would have been around number 10 or so in the queue I think. Cringe worthy moment number two came when another lady decided embrace Adam with a hug. I think it caught him off guard a bit. She had to be prised off him and then tried to compose herself for a few minutes to one side before coming back in for a photo. A good old fashioned handshake was sufficient for my needs. I stepped up with my poster ready in hand. I was sporting my Alice in Chains ‘Dirt’ t-shirt so we had a brief chat about how awesome AIC are. Quickly grabbed a happy snap on my crappy blackberry and off I went. The poster is wrapped up and ready to be framed when I get around to it. Complete with my very own Adam doodle. A couple of other people were getting t-shirts signed and one got his bandana signed I think. It was supposed to be strictly one photo and one signed item but I think on a couple of occasions this rule was bent. Adam didn’t try and rush anyone but the PA and Vin Diesel look a-like tour guy were keeping the production line moving along.

A quick race back to the car to drop my goodies off then back in to the venue ready to go in before everyone else. Ended up setting up camp back at the sound desk. Never been a big fan of being at the barrier.

If I remember anymore Q&A highlights I will jot them down in this thread. I think he must have got through a good dozen to fifteen questions. All in all Adam came across as a very down to earth and easy going guy. Nothing special or rock star like. He openly admitted that he is very lucky and loves to do what he does.

A great experience, would I do it again? I’m not sure. Though if it was a Q and A with Danny then maybe. It’s one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. I work hard, the wife said ok so I went for it. If I still lived in England then there is no way I could have justified it or even afforded it. It would have been a week’s wages with over time for me. Maybe more like a week and a half. Now I am a bit older and my wife and I are a bit more comfortable financially in Australia, I thought fuck it. The age range of the group present was maybe due to the price but Tool have been around for a while and we have all gotten a bit older also. No one there would have been under their mid twenties and some would have been into their late thirties. It was on the pricey side but it’s an experience I won’t be forgetting for a long time.

Sorry for the essay guys! 
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Thanks, good read
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Tyson said
Thanks, good read

Agreed.

Thanks, craigw.

10 tracks down? If true, big if as we all know, then this year is totally doable even with May Jay's grape season.

Hey! Denty!
rimb
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rimb »

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a detailed summary - much appreciated by those that didn't go for the VIP thing.
craigw
Maynard Believer

Post by craigw »

Your very welcome guys! Thanks for taking the time to read all my waffle!

Craig
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ craigw I'll add my thanks, very cool to live it vic.. uh to hear the details.
Ki77aan :twisted:
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

TL;DR... KIDDING... THANX FOR THE REVIEW, GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Thanks Craig - very insightful.

FYI Pete Riedling is Tool's manager last time I checked, and he is an Aussie I believe (at least Australian born anyway).

Their tour manager on the 2011 tour (and I believe most recent tours) is a lady called Mary - I think Blair has posted pics about here before on Toolband, and I even thing she's been on Rynne's Children of Saturn show before.  They had a different tour manager this tour though, not sure if he's temporary or a replacement however.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

@craigw

Did Adam teach you to slap on your legs a poly rhythm of 3/4 or 4/5? If so can you remember the rhyme?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hotdog said
@craigw

Did Adam teach you to slap on your legs a poly rhythm of 3/4 or 4/5? If so can you remember the rhyme?

More esoteric knowledge.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
craigw
Maynard Believer

Post by craigw »

Hotdog said
@craigw

Pass the God Damn Butter

Something along those lines. I could not do it for shit mate. Haha, my rhythm is atrocious! A couple of people were nailing it though. I remember Adam mentioning that Danny does 7/4 as well. The dude is a god damn machine.
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

craigw said

Hotdog said
@craigw

Pass the God Damn Butter

Something along those lines. I could not do it for shit mate. Haha, my rhythm is atrocious! A couple of people were nailing it though. I remember Adam mentioning that Danny does 7/4 as well. The dude is a god damn machine.

Yep, i think thats it. Thanks!

Slap both hands on your legs first on the word Pass, then i was starting with my right hand first to do the rest of the syllables. Try you left and right, one may work better! Its a 3/4.

Yeah Danny is pretty good at what he does!
Hotdog
Fanboi

Post by Hotdog »

Kittaan said

Hotdog said
@craigw

More esoteric knowledge.  

Haha you would think so! But it was quite simple to do which suprised me.
eyechakra
Maynard Believer

Post by eyechakra »

Better than I expected. I want that keychain!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

eyechakra said

the hand along the VIP t-shirt makes it. I likes.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

eyechakra said

Keychain is very cool indeed, but not limited edition. They were selling them at the merch stall

Primal
Maynard Believer

Post by Primal »

NickTheGC said

eyechakra said

Keychain is very cool indeed, but not limited edition. They were selling them at the merch stall

Keychain got me pulled up by airport security - had to unpack my bag as it showed up as suspicious on the x-ray

edin

Re: Questions for Adam

Post by edin »

Is all that DMT you smoked the reason you have such dark bags under your eyes or do you just have a horrible case of insomnia?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Couple of months late, but whatever. It's cool.
Don't mow your lawn
sublime5446
Fanboi

Post by sublime5446 »

Ya, what a dick.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

Im hoping they do something like this stateside...
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I hope...

I hope...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

I hope they make another 'gd'darned' album here sometime
also, Avatar!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

it's all so fucking hilarious
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
edin

Post by edin »

This isn't a question for Adam

Is there any word on if there will VIP packages for future tours?