Movie/TV News

Movies, TV and other video based media
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The Boss said

NYHCster said
my friends actually call him M. Night Shamalamadingdong. I loved Signs, the 6th Sense ehh not so much. The Happening had a dope premise but horrible acting. The Village had a horrible premise and excellent acting. I actually enjoyed Lady In The Water because of two reasons, (1) Paul Giamatti and (2) inside this 30 year old male there's an 9 year old Asian girl just waiting to get out...

Water killed the aliens.

Water.

Water killed them.

The stuff that covers a fucking shitload of planet Earth.

Water.

Yeah, great movie.

The twist might not have been great, but I think the movie was pretty good. That scene with the alien at the birthday party is creepy as hell.

Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

The Boss said

Water killed the aliens.

Water.

Water killed them.

Yeah, great movie.

Indeed. Oh that "movie" was full of win. The greatest unintentional comedy masterpiece of all time. It honestly gives Battlefield Earth a run for its money.

For the record, this is what happened after a friend and I went to see Signs at the cinema..

Me: You fucking idiot!! You said it would be "great". Bullshit, you owe me $20. I'm getting that money back one way or another!

Friend: Calm down. It's hardly my fault. I fucking hated it too. The trailer looked ok and some of the early reviews were encouraging...

Me: Early reviews my arse. I'd rather go to church than have to endure that shit again. I mean...water...REALLY?!?!

Friend: I know I know! And those enforced "plot points" like the strategically placed glasses of water left around the house in the first half of the film to set up the finale. "Hey guys remember this cos it's gonna be important LATER ON!"

Me: Yeah. This Shamalamgook has to ram every corn-pone message and plot point down the throat of the audience with a fucking motorised drill as if we're all too dumb to make conclusions for ourselves. THE MORAL OF THIS STORY FOLKS IS THAT YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE FAITH!!!

Friend: Absolutely! Fucking lame-ass.

Me: I mean....WATER.....REALLY?!?!?!!?

<silence>

<both burst out laughing>

M Night has never made a good film.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Signs was awesome. stop playin
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Watched 'Man from earth' last night. Was a ridiculously great premise, let down with some sub standard acting & execution. The ending was pretty shit too, but plants some great ideas & questions in your mind. Worth a watch.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

NYHCster said
my friends actually call him M. Night Shamalamadingdong. I loved Signs, the 6th Sense ehh not so much. The Happening had a dope premise but horrible acting. The Village had a horrible premise and excellent acting. I actually enjoyed Lady In The Water because of two reasons, (1) Paul Giamatti and (2) inside this 30 year old male there's an 9 year old Asian girl just waiting to get out...

Water killed the aliens.

Water.

Water killed them.

Water.

Yeah, great movie.

The twist might not have been great, but I think the movie was pretty good. That scene with the alien at the birthday party is creepy as hell.

Dude, I'll have your back on anything, ever, because you're cool as Hell - but you're way off. And you should be ashamed for liking this movie.

And Cal - thanks, dude. I needed a gut-laugh today. I hope you got your $20 back.

O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

There is a fan theory going around the interweb that they weren't aliens but demons, and at one point in the movie a priest or someone (?)blesses the water thus explaining their weakness to it.  I didn't come up with it don't bite me.

Either way I don't think much of that movie, saw it once and quickly forgot it.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

The Boss said

UndKeineEier said

The Boss said

NYHCster said

Water killed the aliens.

Water.

Water killed them.

Water.

Yeah, great movie.

Dude, I'll have your back on anything, ever, because you're cool as Hell - but you're way off. And you should be ashamed for liking this movie.

And Cal - thanks, dude. I needed a gut-laugh today. I hope you got your $20 back.

I saw it when I was young and it scared the shit out of me. That's where most of my opinion comes from. I don't think I've seen it since then.

So now I'm going to watch it again.

Don't mow your lawn
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

The first time I saw Signs I remember thinking "Hey, this isn't 1/2 bad.  Maybe M. Night Shamlayandnayandn is back on track."  However, upon subsequent viewings, as already pointed out some of the various plot points (water glasses left all around and slyly pointed out, the dying wife telling Jaquin Phoenix to "swing away" as she's dying, the Caulken kid having asthma so he couldn't inhale the toxins, the family not wanting to go to the lake (where it turns out, ironically, they would've been very safe since water, being that it makes up most of the planet, is what hurts the aliens) etc., etc. became horribly obvious and thus brought the movie down a good deal.  Then you throw in  M. Night Shamanlayndan casting himself as the guy who killed Mel's wife and bringing his horrible acting to the mix, and yikes!  Though it did have a little scene with "Doug" from The State so that was a plus.

Someone else also mentioned The Happening being a movie that seemed to have a good idea but was just horribly acted and that is 100% spot-on.
I like to poop naked.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

markuspoop said
The first time I saw Signs I remember thinking "Hey, this isn't 1/2 bad.  Maybe M. Night Shamlayandnayandn is back on track."  However, upon subsequent viewings, as already pointed out some of the various plot points (water glasses left all around and slyly pointed out, the dying wife telling Jaquin Phoenix to "swing away" as she's dying, the Caulken kid having asthma so he couldn't inhale the toxins, the family not wanting to go to the lake (where it turns out, ironically, they would've been very safe since water, being that it makes up most of the planet, is what hurts the aliens) etc., etc. became horribly obvious and thus brought the movie down a good deal.  Then you throw in  M. Night Shamanlayndan casting himself as the guy who killed Mel's wife and bringing his horrible acting to the mix, and yikes!  Though it did have a little scene with "Doug" from The State so that was a plus.

Someone else also mentioned The Happening being a movie that seemed to have a good idea but was just horribly acted and that is 100% spot-on.

It doesn't help that he's also the one that reveals the whole "they don't like water" concept.

Watching it again I say it works up until the aliens really start to become a real thing. After the UFOs start appearing over the cities the "everything happens for a reason" theme starts to really rear its ugly head and the movie kinda falls apart. I think it would've worked if there was a bit more ambiguity to it, but the way it was hammered on just didn't work.

That said, I thought the characters motivations were pretty clear; there were few points where I thought the characters were acting stupid just to push plot along, which is pretty common in movies like this. There was also quite a bit of humor too which made the story easier to digest.

Overall I say it's about a 3/5.

That scene with the alien at the birthday party is still creepy-as-hell.

Edit: The flashbacks to his wife's death were also unnecessary since by the time they show everything you pretty much already knew what happened.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

What he should've done, since the aliens can change color like chameleons, is hidden one of the background of every scene. That would have been a cool twist and it would have the extra benefit of turning the whole movie into a big Where's Waldo? puzzle but with aliens.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

How do you know he DIDN'T?

WHOA. I just gave myself chills.
Hey! Denty!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

UndKeineEier said

markuspoop said

It doesn't help that he's also the one that reveals the whole "they don't like water" concept.

Watching it again I say it works up until the aliens really start to become a real thing. After the UFOs start appearing over the cities the "everything happens for a reason" theme starts to really rear its ugly head and the movie kinda falls apart. I think it would've worked if there was a bit more ambiguity to it, but the way it was hammered on just didn't work.

That said, I thought the characters motivations were pretty clear; there were few points where I thought the characters were acting stupid just to push plot along, which is pretty common in movies like this. There was also quite a bit of humor too which made the story easier to digest.

Overall I say it's about a 3/5.

That scene with the alien at the birthday party is still creepy-as-hell.

Edit: The flashbacks to his wife's death were also unnecessary since by the time they show everything you pretty much already knew what happened.

Shamalamadingdong actually pokes fun at the water concept during the movie when Mel Gibson's character says "I heard a theory that they don't like water", Rory Culkin's character says "that sounds made up". I found that pretty funny. imagine if Mel's character then replied "so was the Holocaust son..."

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

UndKeineEier said
What he should've done, since the aliens can change color like chameleons, is hidden one of the background of every scene. That would have been a cool twist and it would have the extra benefit of turning the whole movie into a big Where's Waldo? puzzle but with aliens.

What he should have done is turned it into a musical. Or mashed it with another film like The Cannonball Run or Porkys or European Vacation or something. Like the aliens invade a frat house and peek on some nudie girls having a shower and are then pursued to the Mexican border by the state troopers and along the way one of the aliens falls in love with Christie Brinkley.

I tell you that Shamalamagook and I should hook up over coffee.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Qualities of Superman:
1) Red and blue suit
2) Super Strength
3) Flight
4) From outer space
5) Hurt by Kryptonite
6) Lois Lane

Let's break down Punch Drunk Love with Superman in mind.

First and foremost, Barry puts on his blue suit and claims he isn't sure exactly why. At about the halfway mark in the movie, he matches the suit with a red tie in exact Superman colors.

Next, it's important to note that Barry has Super Strength.
Examples:
A) He breaks a plunger with an "unbreakable" handle.
B) He punches a bathroom door off its hinges.
C) He punches a map on a concrete wall behind him, denting the wall inward and holding the map in place.
D) After the last attack from the blond brothers, Barry slams his car door closed so hard the camera itself shakes.

Now, we'll cover Superman's ability to fly.
Barry unveils a frequent flyer scam that allows him to get so many miles, he can "fly anywhere" for the rest of his life.

Oddly enough, what made me notice the Superman connection in this film turned out to be the biggest stretch in this theory - Barry has 7 Sisters. As a fan of astronomy, "7 Sisters" clicked with me as the nickname for a star cluster known as Pleiades. This put into my head the thought that Barry's origin is from outer space. His family is his sisters, and they are "The 7 Sisters"

This seems like a stretch until we consider Kryptonite. Kryptonite is a piece of Superman's home world - the only thing that can hurt, distract, weaken, annoy and bother him. Well, watch closely in any scene where Barry has to interact with his sisters. He has breakdowns, gets annoyed, becomes agitated, wants to break things - his sisters are his Kryptonite.

Finally, as we well know, Superman is connected to Lois Lane throughout the Superman story. Beyond that, all of Superman's ladies have had the initials "L.L."

Barry's love interest in Punch Drunk Love is "Leena Leonard" Once again, the L.L.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

http://www.collativelearning.com/mybb_1 ... p?tid=1589

@ Blowhard - We all know you can copy and paste, and we are duly impressed.  However, you have a tendency to imply that these are your original ideas (yes, it's been pointed out before, even by Crow, but you continue on...).  It's customary to at least provide a link when you're quoting someone.  

Just trying to keep up with my whining ratio mate. 
Ki77aan :twisted:
jelousjane
Maynard Believer

Post by jelousjane »

Kittan:

DID YOU CATCH THE RED WEDDING LAST NIGHT ON G*O*T?!?!?!

I liked the way they changed it up a bit but the result was the same...

I thought that was the season ender but there's one more Episode...

Can't wait til next SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!

~ JJ
'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
RIP

Post by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, »

@ Kittaan   Still a pretty good movie nonetheless.

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

from the amazing off the wall director who brought us: Tideland, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, 12 Monkeys, Time Bandits & The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus.

"The Zero Theorem" by Terry Gilliam

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333804/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zero_Theorem

judging by what actors have given in the past when filming a Terry Gilliam movie I can't WAIT to see what Christoph Waltz brings to the table.
MarryHanback
of Arimathea

Post by MarryHanback »

jelousjane said

Yes. One of the best episodes so far. Almost as good as the Blackwater Bay episode last season (which I think coincidentally, was also the 2nd to last for the season).

Sucks to being a Stark!
elp5000
My pain is just an excuse

Post by elp5000 »

jelousjane said
Kittan:

Damn those fuckers know how to party !!!!

;-}~
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Party is only just getting started...
jelousjane
Maynard Believer

Post by jelousjane »

MarryHanback said

jelousjane said

Yes. One of the best episodes so far. Almost as good as the Blackwater Bay episode last season (which I think coincidentally, was also the 2nd to last for the season).

Sucks to being a Stark!

Replying in this new format sucks hairy, black balls...BUT YES!!! Black Water Bay season was EPIC
~ JJ
jelousjane
Maynard Believer

Post by jelousjane »

elp5000 said

jelousjane said
Kittan:

Damn those fuckers know how to party !!!!

;-}~

Hahahaha!!! I'm not sure about how they end their parties though.

How are you my darling?... Miss you in my life!!!
~ JJ
elp5000
My pain is just an excuse

Post by elp5000 »

Doing Fine JJ, and You ??

Hey, I'll call you, your number still 312-HOT-STUFF..

Bahahahaaaa.

;-}~
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

hellboy1975 said
Party is only just getting started...

I like to poop naked.