Soundwave Festival

Music in all its forms and styles
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Soundwave is only a few weeks away, and I personally am quite looking forward to this.

Timetables haven't been released yet (they should be out in the next day), but word is that A Perfect Circle will get a 70 minute set on the main stage.  Not too bad for a festival where they're well down the list as far as headliners go.

Also, there's a "special guest" appearing on one of the smaller stages, and there's been some speculation that guest could be Puscifer.  Personally I don't think it will be, though I'd be quite happy to check them out on the day.

Any other bogans going to this apart from Liz & myself?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, plenty of clashes, but could be worse I guess (though the Adelaide timetable could be reasonably different so I hear).

APC seem to have an hour instead of 70 minutes.
Tomahawk get 45 minutes, which could be worse
Red Fang & Six Feet Under clash - Red Fang wins that one easily.  Pre-lunch starting time is a bit shitty though.
Anthrax clash with Mindless Self Indulgence.  I think I'd try and catch half a set of each.
Every single band playing at the same time as Tomahawk are ones I would have liked to have seen, but Tomahawk are my #1 priority for the day.
Orange Goblin and Gallows clash.  Think I'll probably do a 50/50 there as well.
The Sword and Kyuss Lives playing at the same time seem to be a bit of an oversight imo.  Most likely 50/50 there as well.
Slayer & Cypress Hill clash also.  Probably see Slayer, but if they're shit like last time will see CH.
Also playing at the same time as APC is Cancer Bats & Madball, both of whom I'm pretty keen to see as well.   We'll see how much eMotive they play.  APC being on at 5:30 I guess means Junior won't have to do much to earn his paycheck (presuming he's going).
Sick of It All only have a 10 minute overlap so I'll be able to see most of that which is cool.  Vision of Disorder on straight afterwards which works for me also.
They haven't really put anyone worthwhile on at the same time as Metallica, so I guess I have no excuses not to see them

So plenty of clashes, but to be honest there really isn't any down time during the day either.  Not sure when I'll find time for beer & dinner.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, final timetables and announcements have been made, and while it seems most Aussie Fourtheye readers seemed to have abandoned Soundwave, I will be attempting to see bands in the following sequence:

Red Fang
Anthrax
Kingdom of Sorrow
*Special Guest* (that we know is Puscifer)
Tomahawk
Kyuss Lives (maybe Gallows as well if they're no good)
Slayer
A Perfect Circle
Madball
Cancer Bats
Sick of it All
Vision of Disorder or Fucked Up
Metallica (if I can be bothered)

Bands I'm resigned to missing out on are Orange Goblin, Sylosis, This Is Hell, The Sword, Shai Hulud, The Vandals and Ghost.

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Woah, woah, woah Special Guest are playing?!  That's awesome, I didn't know they got back together.  Man I hope they do a US tour sometime soon.
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Anthrax are sure playing early, I'd see VOD
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
Anthrax are sure playing early, I'd see VOD

I'll probably start with VOD, and then move over to Fucked Up depending on how much I enjoy them.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy1975 said
Well, final timetables and announcements have been made, and while it seems most Aussie Fourtheye readers seemed to have abandoned Soundwave, I will be attempting to see bands in the following sequence:

Red Fang
Anthrax
Kingdom of Sorrow
*Special Guest* (that we know is Puscifer)
Tomahawk
Kyuss Lives (maybe Gallows as well if they're no good)
Slayer
A Perfect Circle
Madball
Cancer Bats
Sick of it All
Vision of Disorder or Fucked Up
Metallica (if I can be bothered)

Bands I'm resigned to missing out on are Orange Goblin, Sylosis, This Is Hell, The Sword, Shai Hulud, The Vandals and Ghost.

Slayer sans Dave Lombardo... wut the fuck is up with drummers and Soundwave?

Also, for what it's worth, Cypress hill put on a better show than Slayer... I've seen them both numerous times and this is the Truth.  Not trying to change your mind unless you've never seen Cypress Hill.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'd rather see Madball and Sick of it All than Cypress Hill, but we'll see.

Even 50% of Slayer will be better than anything else in that slot for me.  And they're on immediately before APC, so I'll at least catch some of their set while getting a decent spot.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

wow surprised at the differing sets from APC at the two soundwaves so far! Hopefully Melbourne gets the 2nd set as apposed to the first!!! Also the stage presence looked a little flat from what i've seen on youtube...really hope they have got over the jetlag and are ready to rock
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

264zn said
wow surprised at the differing sets from APC at the two soundwaves so far! Hopefully Melbourne gets the 2nd set as apposed to the first!!! Also the stage presence looked a little flat from what i've seen on youtube...really hope they have got over the jetlag and are ready to rock

Yeah, Sydney certainly got a much better setlist than the Brisbane one.  Here's hoping they keep it up to that standard. I can deal with some eMotive, but over 50% of the set is too much for me...
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

yep totally agree, a few emotive songs are fine as it probably suits his vocal range a little more these days. Was surprised at what was played in that second set though, would have been a very happy chappy if I saw that set at a festival. Without any Puscifer being played during the day, fingers crossed that means a more straining/powerful APC show
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

What was the new setlist?
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

They only played 4 covers in Brisbane, stop whining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Tyson said
They only played 4 covers in Brisbane, stop whining

eMotive tracks is what I'm referring to more so than covers, of which there were 6.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So how was the festival?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said
So how was the festival?

I dunno, it's not until Saturday and my time machine is broken.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

UndKeineEier said
So how was the festival?

I dunno, it's not until Saturday and my time machine is broken.

That picture up there says it was Sunday the 24th...

Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said 
That picture up there says it was Sunday the 24th...

That's the Sydney one.  perhaps someone from Sydney can comment...
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ah I see.  I was wondering why you hadn't said anything about it.
Don't mow your lawn
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

I was at Sydney and have to say, it was the best festival of this size I've ever attended.. Was a bit of a distance between stages but ya get that. As far as queues & all that go, it was a smooth operation.

Was such a trip being able to watch Tomahawk & then wander off to a side stage to catch Puscifer & then back inside for Kyuss..

Tomahawk played a great set, with pretty much the perfect setlist from my point of view. New songs came across really well. Puscifer played a fairly heavy set & was most impressed by em. Saw them at their sideshow last night & they were 2 totally different sets & experiences. I wasn't expecting Kyuss to trasnlate to main stage festival very well  so under the circumstances they did a good job.. Bass was way to low in the mix for their whole set though.

Cypress mix was fkn terrible & sounded like shit, so didn't hang around for long, opting to catch the back end of Slayers set.

A perfect circle were the band I was most excited to see at the festival, seeing as i hadn't seen em before. Was questioning how they'd translate during daylight, at a festival, directly after Slayer & they pretty much blew me away.The setlist was pretty bloody good, considering & maynards voice sounded amazing. Biggest cheer of the set was the long winded scream he let out during The Outsider, without any mic assistance. Was orse to hear a good old Maynard scream. Maybe someones that's seen them earlier in their career & at a sideshow would argue that Soundwave set was shit, but for mine, was set of the day. Counting bodies like sheep is an absolute beast live too.

Pretty much just hung in the main stadium from their, Linkin Park were surprisingly ok, considering how much I hate them. Metallica played a solid set, but fuck me I've never seen a more subdued crowd in my life. Even James was in disbeleif at how quiet the crowd was. COuldn't believe I got to see Orion live again & Ride the lightning & Fight fire with fire both kicked arse.

Anyway, have fun all if ya going..
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

All reports I've heard from the Melbourne Soundwave have been excellent.  APC played a great set apparently. 

Today is the day for me, in a couple of hours I'll be seeing Red Fang, followed shortly by Puscifer.  I'll be tweeting throughout the day if anyone's interested https://twitter.com/hellboy1975
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Hope you're having a good day HB!

Yes APC were amazing, we got the better set and Maynard was a crack up on stage. His wig kept blowing in his mouth which he found amusing and did announce what made it worse 'this isn't even my hair'. The nailed 'the package' and it was great to hear 'by and down' live.

Metallica played a pretty heavy set, and they pyro blasts for 'one' made for a cool show. Great day all in all and by far my most sober festival I've attended...wallet was just getting raped by the booze prices so I gave up drinking, did make it easier entering the 'd' and not having to piss every 5 seconds.

Other highlight was Slayer, which are always great.