Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition to be released?

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

A post on the Tool Facebook page is claiming that they will release a new 21st Anniversary Edition of their first EP Opiate. Here are the details:

TOOL will release a handcrafted, bonus-laden, limited edition package of their original debut EP, Opiate, on Mar. 26 to mark the 21st anniversary of the six-song release.

The anniversary edition is limited to 5,000 copies and features art direction by Adam Jones, illustrations by legendary artist Adi Granov and design packaging by Mackie Osborne, who has collaborated with TOOL on many albums including 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Salival as well as posters and merchandise.

The 5,000 copies will be broken down as 5 x 1,000 runs with each set featuring a variation of the exterior graphics and included bonus items which include a new stereoscopic image for fans to use with their glasses from the 10,000 Days packaging.

The packages will only be available via TOOL's website (www.toolband.com) on Mar. 26 and there will be no pre-orders. A limit of three packages from each of the 5 x 1,000 versions will be in place. More details to be announced soon.

Facebook is an unusual way for Tool to release information such as this, and at time of writing there's no confirmation on Toolband. Doesn't seem to be any indication of some bonus audio, which is something I'd like to see included in the package.

I think we've all had enough of the "why aren't Tool releasing the new album" argument, so lets keep discussion in this post on topic, rather than create another 10-page whinge-fest.

Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

Interesting. So, is this the thing out of left field? Im interested, but they have to offer something worth more while than a new package. I mean, Tools packaging is always sweet, but its just getting out dated. Hopefully they sign them all, and offer something else to persuade. Price is obviously always a factor too. Id like one, but funds are definitely a concern when i kind of already own it. We will see. Definitely interesting though.

badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Why do a 21st anniversary of Opiate when they could have done a 20th anniversary of Undertow?  I'm still not sold on this one, but I accept that sometimes, I am Pavlov's dog when it comes to this band.  No mention of the format....cd or vinyl or both?
demmons
Maynard Believer

Post by demmons »

We would both love a vinyl run, I know that bkgg. Im sure Ill try my hardest to snag at least one of these. Hopefully if it is digital, itll be chock full of easter eggs.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

So this is 21 for Opiate

next year it'll be 21 for Undertow

then so on and so on until all releases turn 21

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

demmons said
We would both love a vinyl run, I know that bkgg. Im sure Ill try my hardest to snag at least one of these. Hopefully if it is digital, itll be chock full of easter eggs.

and it is almost easter...nom nom nom on eggs...

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Releasing unheard audio would be a plus, but that would be the only reason for me to buy this. Unless it's cheap. Like me. Hey, maybe they'll put "Problem 8" in there!

This is ''out of left field'' in being its the first anniversary edition material. I just expected the "out of left field" to be something a little more than a re-release of their first album with a few doodles. I imagine it was originally meant for a 20th year anniversary, but was delayed. Heh.
SteveBobSteve
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

snazzlefrass said
Releasing unheard audio would be a plus, but that would be the only reason for me to buy this. Unless it's cheap. Like me. Hey, maybe they'll put "Problem 8" in there!

This is ''out of left field'' in being its the first anniversary edition material. I just expected the "out of left field" to be something a little more than a re-release of their first album with a few doodles. I imagine it was originally meant for a 20th year anniversary, but was delayed. Heh.

might need a double shot of that good liquor before it's done
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'm pretty sure the "out of left field" announcement was for March.

This isn't it.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Fucking lame.  I sincerely hope this is just a bunch of bullshit.  Opiate is a wonderful EP.  I have listened to it more times than I can count.  But I sure as shit don't care about new artwork for a 21 year old album.  Same applies for a 20th anniversary Undertow.  Again, couldn't give a shit less.  All this wasted time and effort, why not just fucking release a live album?  Or maybe some demos or unreleased tracks?  More of the same from Tool these days, which is a whole lot of nothing.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Ravenpig said
I'm pretty sure the "out of left field" announcement was for March.

This isn't it.

And this is being released in March.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Shit true. I read Blair's writing as it being announced in March.
Hey! Denty!
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

^^^

Yeah, I know. I'm agreeing with Moggles on this one. Sue me.

SteveBobSteve
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

cheeseballs said

snazzlefrass said

might need a double shot of that good liquor before it's done

It's dirty and sassy, but my fuck does it get ya drunk.

SteveBobSteve
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Just to reiterate, so a re-release with artwork made by this guy

Hmmmm, lets check some examples

Oh man, ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Ravenpig said
Shit true. I read Blair's writing as it being announced in March.

We are only a few days away from March.  Does that help you feel better? 
Zwerewolf
Has been

Post by Zwerewolf »

They should release a box set containing the old albums with the new album and add some bonus shit. Then I'll consider spending dough to get old shit I already have. Don't really care about the artwork unless it's at the live show. Dream dream dream.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

ya, i donno. limited edition means high price. if its just some fancy artwork and 3D pictures and no new tunes its just crap i dont need. sorry to say.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I guess I'm the only one who is excited for this. I can't wait to hear more about the details.
SirGreat
Maynard Believer

Post by SirGreat »

I would also like to know if this is a a vinyl release. CD releases seem to be a waste of time these days...nobody buys them and they look dinky compared to the artwork involved with a vinyl release. If it was vinyl I'd probably buy it. If not, then I'd most likely leave it alone or download whatever may be extra bonus live tracks or whatever.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So Opiate is finally old enough to drink.

snazzlefrass said I just expected the "out of left field" to be something a little more than a re-release of their first album with a few doodles.
And sadly it ended up being less as Opiate technically isn't their first album given that it's an EP.
Don't mow your lawn
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Meh. Now I'm depressed.
SteveBobSteve
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

SirGreat said
I would also like to know if this is a a vinyl release. CD releases seem to be a waste of time these days...nobody buys them and they look dinky compared to the artwork involved with a vinyl release. If it was vinyl I'd probably buy it. If not, then I'd most likely leave it alone or download whatever may be extra bonus live tracks or whatever.

You should check our vinyl thread.  My fiance and I caught the bug 3 years ago.  Haven't bought a CD since, well, except for the M.T. Void CD. 
mikelisse
Maynard Believer

Post by mikelisse »

five different versions with their own unique artwork?! definite money grab, in my opinion. and yeah yeah, i get it: "SEEEEND MORE MONEY! FUUUUCK YOU BUDDY!" once you start re-releasing shit i think you cross the line of 'not being in it for the money.' ugh i think this may be the only time i have posted negatively here; i am usually defending the shit out of Tool but i just really hate the re-release move. like others said, if this includes some unreleased audio tracks GREAT! YES! HURRAH! but just some new artwork, meh. don't worry i'll be buying all five.
cubanpete
Maynard Believer

Post by cubanpete »

A limited release of 5,000 means no new old material..

Why release anything new when any old shit will sell like hotcakes.