Opiate 21st Anniversary Edition to be released?

Calfium Jay
Geacon

Post by Calfium Jay »

I'd rather read a 10 page whinge fest.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

I'd buy it.
DRURY
Fanboi

Post by DRURY »

Btw, people have become rotten.
ThatGuy
Bronco's Fan

Post by ThatGuy »

I feel ya buddy. Trying to remain positive but its dark days for Tool fans.

21-year anniversary? Hopefully this is a joke and we can laugh heartily when they actually release something NEW.
Chimichanga
Maynard Believer

Post by Chimichanga »

My cock is so fucking hard right now.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Maybe you should take some opiates?
smithersSOCAL
Bronco's Fan

Post by smithersSOCAL »

the EP isnt out of print and the vinyl can be found at most music stores easily. would be a lot nicer to have an aenima vinyl reissue. or (shock) a 10K days vinyl... if this story is true. it sounds kinda lame. but Mackie does amazing work with the Melvin's special edition vinyl so who knows how it would turn out.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

No doubt those things will happen when the appropriate anniversary is met.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Given that the same "hand" is being used by Adam to promote the Opiate reissue is the same one used on the Australia Tool ads, can we expect to see a few tracks from Opiate played?

Personally, Sweat is one of my favorite Tool tracks and I'd love to see that played.
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

some opiate tracks would be sick, I actually haven't seen any of that EP played live in the two tool shows I've caught over the years. I will be doubling that tally in April, fingers crossed for Sweat and/or anything else
inequitude
Has been

Post by inequitude »

Limit of 5 x 1,000? - how many of the Lateralus vinyls were pumped out?
AJ mentioned doing comics with Adi Granov in the JJJ interview the other week... so not entirely left-field, I guess. His style looks like it could crank a decent version of the priest.
Little meh about a re-release, but it's better than nothing.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

inequitude said
Limit of 5 x 1,000? - how many of the Lateralus vinyls were pumped out?

Under 300 from memory.  5000 for Opiate is certainly limited, but not to the same extent as the Lateralus Vinyl was.
bogie314
Maynard Believer

Post by bogie314 »

I'm certain that BMB's post on 12.18.12 was referring to this release. I can see a new track or two given MJK's position on matters in the industry and age....

“Something that might be encouraging to some Tool enthusiasts is that while riding with Danny to Chili John’s yesterday, I heard a lot of new Tool music (sans Maynard). This was the most new material that I’ve heard so far, although a few of the riffs and arrangements were familiar. So, what did I think? Dare I say that it sounded like… Tool (some of it reminiscent to earlier Tool stuff, with other parts pushing the envelope), and I assume that it will sound even more like Tool once the vocal melodies, etc. have been added. To answer your next question, I cannot say how far along in the writing process the band is. If I had to GUESS, I would say more than half way (and keep in mind that in the past, at least, the writing went faster once the first few [more complex] songs were finished).”
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

im not knocking this just yet!!! if its true wouldnt a remaster of opiate be in order? not that im into remasters cause usually they arnet good but they would prob do a good job and it would be worth it. and really the full show from the Jello Loft if i remember correctly were the live tunes were recorded for the EP would be part of this package then that would kick ass!

im more into hearing something unique to offer this package then see cool artkwork. u know its going to be aesome though, even if its lack luster in terms of different music to add to it.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i do like that hand they have on the facebook page! its the old artwork look and has that rawness to it that all the Alex Grey piecesdo not have! i hope they get back to that RAW sorta vibe..
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

bob said
im not knocking this just yet!!! if its true wouldnt a remaster of opiate be in order? not that im into remasters cause usually they arnet good but they would prob do a good job and it would be worth it. and really the full show from the Jello Loft if i remember correctly were the live tunes were recorded for the EP would be part of this package then that would kick ass!

I don't think we've heard all the details of this release yet.  Some kind of extra tracks and/or remasters would come as no surprise to me (though I haven't heard anything via my usual sources yet).
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

hellboy1975 said
Given that the same "hand" is being used by Adam to promote the Opiate reissue is the same one used on the Australia Tool ads, can we expect to see a few tracks from Opiate played?

Personally, Sweat is one of my favorite Tool tracks and I'd love to see that played.

I would love to hear that song live!!  It was Danny's drumming that pulled me into this 20 year relationship.

hellboy1975 said

Under 300 from memory. 5000 for Opiate is certainly limited, but not to the same extent as the Lateralus Vinyl was.

I'm fairly certain it has to be more than 300 in print.  You can find at least one sealed copy in any record store at any given time being sold for about the same price as it was when it was released over 10 years ago.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

badkittygothgirl said 
I'm fairly certain it has to be more than 300 in print.  You can find at least one sealed copy in any record store at any given time being sold for about the same price as it was when it was released over 10 years ago.

Sorry, I presumed you were talking about the signed vinyl.  I have no idea how many standard vinyls were pressed.
swall
Maynard Believer

Post by swall »

Why would they waste time on this when they could be working on a new album.  heh
budtkr
Maynard Believer

Post by budtkr »

are you guys missing the point this reissue maybe remastered... most albums reissued are remastered....packaging would be that sweet cherry on TOP!
spank me if im wrong!
Intension
Fanboi

Post by Intension »

HB= Could be a good call on them playing Opiate material on this mini tour. That would kick ass. Id kill to hear Opiate and Cold and Ugly, two old time favorites.

I remaster would be cool, as much as i like hearing it the old school way which brings you back to the beginning and a different time, that EP is certainly in need of some tune ups that could make it sound bad ass. Seems like something Tool would like to do too, clean some stuff up, as their perfectionists. 

Another song would kick ass, especially a live one from back in the day! New arts a bonus, but really hoping they give something really worth paying for, which i feel they will!

Hey, maybe that snap shot on Adams instagram was no poster at all, but new Opiate are?! I still think its a poster though!

MAGNUS
My pain is just an excuse

Post by MAGNUS »

Money grab, maybe.. probably.. But I'm not complaining about getting an unexpected upgrade in recording quality of a solid EP... If were to include a soundboard recording of JerkOff (O.T.R.M.) that would be killer.

If you Aussies get some Opiate songs I'd be quite jealous. I've seen Cold and Ugly but have always wanted to see Sweat and/or Jerk Off.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Hey, if your first EP had THAT cover art... wouldn't you want another crack at it now that you win Grammys for your amazing packaging? I would. (No offense, I like the priest but the rest of the design?)
Hammer
Maynard Believer

Post by Hammer »

Just 5000 copies? $75 - $100 easy.

Lube it up boys.
Casey Tatum
Geacon

Post by Casey Tatum »

More live tracks would be absolutely worth it, but if there isn't any bonus/unreleased songs, has anyone thought that maybe in the case of Opiate, they used up all their extra material on Undertow. That would explain the reason for no bonus tracks.

Weren't several tracks off of Undertow written before Opiate was even released?