The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:you Prometheus haters get the bubble mask gas face. did you see it in theaters? in 3D the way it was supposed to be seen? if you didn't you can stop right there because the visuals were a 10. I keep hearing the story was weak and had plot holes but I've yet to hear anyone successfully argue that in detail. I challenge you to. please, be my guest. the acting was far superior to any sci-fi movie I've seen in decades. "Sunshine" came close but Noomi and Fassbender put this over the top.
I thought the story was uninteresting, but I don't remember it well enough to bother arguing. The fact that I can't really remember the plot speaks volumes. No such issue with the visuals though as I've already point out, but visuals aren't everything. I could think of a half a dozen or some sci fi moviesd with better acting from the last decade to be honest, so I'm not sure I can agree with you on that point.

Anyway, i didn't hate Prometheus at all, I just didn't think it was amazing. The fact Califum gave it a 6 suggests he didn't hate it either, so not sure what your beef is...
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:I keep hearing the story was weak and had plot holes but I've yet to hear anyone successfully argue that in detail. I challenge you to. please, be my guest. the acting was far superior to any sci-fi movie I've seen in decades.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/fict ... rometheus/

Also, Sunshine was dire.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:you Prometheus haters
NOT a Prometheus hater (I bought it on dvd - how's that for being a "hater"??).

....in 3D the way it was supposed to be seen?
I saw it in theatres but not in 3D as I don't particularly enjoy 3D. I doubt seeing shit pop up in front of my face would have any nullifying effect on the gaping plot holes and idiotic character motivations that so plague this potentially good film.

if you didn't you can stop right there because the visuals were a 10.
Where did you read that I thought the visuals were lacking???
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

I haven't seen it.

I haven't seen a movie in a wHile...
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Seven Psychopaths is a very underrated movie.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Calfium Jay wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:I keep hearing the story was weak and had plot holes but I've yet to hear anyone successfully argue that in detail. I challenge you to. please, be my guest. the acting was far superior to any sci-fi movie I've seen in decades.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/fict ... rometheus/

Also, Sunshine was dire.

:|
you're copy and pasting what? scientific facts? how is that the plot of this movie? this isn't a documentary .plot is a journey a character takes from the beginning to the end of a story. if you can't follow Elizaabeth Shaw from the mountain to the alien spaceship you took too many pee breaks. what plot holes? the suits being too shiny? I mean come on man. Ridley Scott is a master story teller you can search that cynical website and find "the 1,000 things wrong with Blade Runner" that doesn't make your argument valid. it just kinda makes you an asshole lol
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

News Flash!!
Ki77aan :twisted:
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:holes
heh
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

i wanna hole lotta love
neeeer
i wanna hole lotta love
neeeer
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

I had forgotten what a great film Zodiac was. Seriously Fincher's best and about a million times better than either (the VERY over-rated) Fight Club or Seven.

If anyone here hasn't seen Zodiac then please do so soon....

Saw Manhunter on the weekend and...eh it's ok I suppose. Hasn't really dated too well and Brian Cox is ATROCIOUS as Lecter.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Zodiac is an underrated movie, but I don't rate it higher than Fight Club or Seven personally.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Calfium Jay wrote:I had forgotten what a great film Zodiac was. Seriously Fincher's best and about a million times better than either (the VERY over-rated) Fight Club or Seven.

If anyone here hasn't seen Zodiac then please do so soon....

Saw Manhunter on the weekend and...eh it's ok I suppose. Hasn't really dated too well and Brian Cox is ATROCIOUS as Lecter.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Fight Club is very over rated man.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Style over substance.

SO SO SO AWARE of it's supposed "Generation X" cred, it's embarrassing. It virtually PLEADS with you to accept its "coolness".

Same goes for Tarantino's Kill Bill. One of the most manufactured-to-be-hip films of all time. It grates on almost every conceivable level.

If hipster you want, go watch some Jean Luc Goddard. Puts all this manufactured bubble gum shit to shame.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote: SO SO SO AWARE of it's supposed "Generation X" cred, it's embarrassing. It virtually PLEADS with you to accept its "coolness".
Isn't that the point of the movie though?

I never could get all the way through a Kill Bill movie.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Oh here's another bombshell for ya..

I HATED ......

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM.

Talk about yr try hard, manufactured, wanna be hip, MTV movie shit capers....

<shudders>

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote: Isn't that the point of the movie though?
Imagine if a bunch of suits got together at a board meeting during the early 90's and put together a manufactured "boy band" version that attempted to buy into the whole "industrial metal" scene that was burgeoning at the time. Imagine how cringe-worthy it would be (hello Static X!!). And imagine it tried to be as subversive and as dark and as hip and as pop-culture aware as it could possibly be. But tried (obviously) to have commercial appeal at the same time...

That's almost exactly how I feel about Fight Club.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You can feel that way if you want I guess. I don't think that was the intent of the movie (or book).
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

^

I wasn't feeling that movie either.
Last edited by doors on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I felt bad for the mother tbh, the rest of them fuck em.

Jennifer Connelly sucking off that guy for drugs and ass to ass made me hard as a rock though.

>tfw you'll never be a drug dealer exchanging drugs for sexual favours off addicts

life is suffering
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Yeah that ass to ass dildo action scene made me all hard when I first saw it.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

doors wrote:Yeah that ass to ass dildo action scene made me all hard when I first saw it.
and when I last saw it. :lol:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I can't believe you cynical fucks are actually hating on Fight Club. so what exactly is wrong with this movie (or the book for that matter) that doesn't deserve high praise? it received an 8.9 on IMDB. that's not rating it higher than it deserved. it's just under a 9, a pretty accurate score. this thread has become the 2nd biggest troll ever.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:I can't believe you cynical fucks are actually hating on Fight Club.
The misunderstanding of it's theme?

It's not about FUCK SOCIETY YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

it was more fun than a barrel of 12 Monkeys.