Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Movies, TV and other video based media
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)

Post by not tyson »

Crow wrote:and finally get around to reading Feist's "MAGICIAN".
Pug gunna fuck you up!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

M0G wrote:
@ Hellboi - I am still troubled of your easy dismissal as Fantasy not being capable of being considered High Literature. Have you read Wolfe, Vance, Carroll, Dunsany? I could go on for hours on this. I know you claim to have read THOUSANDS of books in the genre but Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms don't count. There are so many remarkable talented authors in Speculative Fiction fighting for the respect and legitimacy. Authors writing stories as complex and nuanced as any of the "classics". Some University professors are starting to include works of Spec Fiction as course material so things are changing.

You can have Homer and Hemingway. I will take Bakker and Mieville. Having read all of them Bakker and Mieville are pushing boundaries in ways the first two never dreamed of.
There's no need to worry yourself about it. I really don't care if they are or aren't high literature. My only requirement is that I enjoy the book. I've enjoyed the recommendations you've made so far, and no doubt will continue enjoying them as I get to them.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

That episode was the beez neez. Haha. Seriously solid action and GIANTS! Glad they spent the whole episode on The Wall.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

the chill wrote:That episode was the beez neez. Haha. Seriously solid action and GIANTS! Glad they spent the whole episode on The Wall.
Their method of cleaning climbers off the wall was efficient.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Crow wrote: I feel like a 15 year old kid again, reading fantasy.
Thankfully Speculative Fiction has collectively grown up. You have extremely talented writers now who grew up with a lot of that D&D shit that could have went the traditional Literary Fiction route but have instead decided to bring a Literary sensibility to the Fantasy genre. While some of the less talented writers use the same common tropes, many of the better writers are turning those tropes on their head, or using them in wonderfully inventive ways. If you are interested, I put together a list for Hellboy that has some really good authors on it. That was just a small sample. I should put a more comprehensive list together. Some really talented cats on the fringe putting out exceptionally good shit at the moment.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That was a great ep. That giant arrow bit was bad ass. News Flash: Janos Slynt is still a pussy.
the chill wrote:Glad they spent the whole episode on The Wall.
Yep.
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

A most satisfying season finale. Climatic scenes all around. Without a doubt the best thing on the telly bar none.

And who cares if that fight wasn't in the books: the series and the books are two different beasts. That clash was superb.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That was the best episode of the season. All killer, no filler. Fucking amazing special effects too.

To those who have given up on it: your loss.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

People have given up on this show?
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I have, the show's a mess, dropped it after season 1.

Dropped the books after 4 as well.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I stopped after season 2 and book 2.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

When I got the word George was starting to write GOT I told him to piss off as I wouldn't be reading his shite books. Likewise, in the pitch meeting for the HBO series, I just left the boardroom with a disgusted look on my face.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, last episode was good. I wouldn't go so far as saying this is the best thing on TV at the moment, though I am enjoying it.

I watched the final EP with a heavy heart though, knowing that the remaining books thus far aren't anywhere near as interesting as those used in the first 4 seasons. Still, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I think the seasons covering the next books will take even more liberties, and that may be a good thing.

Hopefully, George is even now "hard at work" on the next book, whilst listening to the new Tool album.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

What would you say is better viewing Hellboy?

I'm not concerned about the material in the next books considering the best scene in that last episode didn't even appear in the books.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:What would you say is better viewing Hellboy?
I think Hannibal has been better this season. True Detective was much better as well.
liz wrote:I'm not concerned about the material in the next books considering the best scene in that last episode didn't even appear in the books.
Which scene was that?

The TV show can redeem the books somewhat, I have no doubt. I found for the most part the characters in the last two GoT books are the weaker ones of the series. Hopefully the TV producers can make the characters feel a little more compelling. Overall I think they've done a good job with their reworkings of the novels.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I haven't watched Hannibal and although I did enjoy True Detective it was now where near as compelling in my view.

The fight scene between Brianna and The Hound.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:I haven't watched Hannibal and although I did enjoy True Detective it was now where near as compelling in my view.
Well then it appears we expect different things when viewing TV. Nothing has been more compelling for me this year than True Detective.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Sitting at the dentist:( reading the latest Rolling Stone Mag. A gooqd interview with Martin in which he says "Winter is coming and Valar morghulis - all men must die. Mortality is the inescapable truth of all life...and of all stories, too."
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote:
liz wrote:I haven't watched Hannibal and although I did enjoy True Detective it was now where near as compelling in my view.
Well then it appears we expect different things when viewing TV. Nothing has been more compelling for me this year than True Detective.
Yep.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

It leaked. :)
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't gotten any love this season. Or maybe I missed it in other threads?

This being the first season where the HBO series went completely off on its own, no book as the basis (as loose as it was getting anyway), was pretty damned impressive.

The season finale was excellent IMO. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Also very curious to see, if that tub of lard GRRM does eventually write it, how he handles the next book. Will he now follow the series? Somehow, I doubt that... Very interesting. I don't think there's any precedent for how this went down.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

We've been talking about this quite a bit in Slack over the last 8 weeks. You should join the conversation there!

It was an excellent season, and finale quite good as well. The next book will be really interesting - where will it differ?
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Bump!

What do u guys think of the s7 premiere?
I forgot my pen
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It was ok - the best is yet to come.