M.T.void - Nothing's Matter (2013)

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Nothing's Matter is a really interesting record.  It's sometimes catchy, sometimes challenging and sometimes unexpected.  It's traks are what I would called experimental rock, though probably more in the vein of Tomahawk style experimentation rather than the more out there stuff.  Here's a track by track rundown:

Dear Eric is a segue of sorts, in which a PC reads out some kind of letter/email from Justin to someone called Eric.  I feel like I should know who Eric is but for the life of me can't.  Can't help but feel this is a message meant for listeners as much as for this Eric dude.
Black Day is a slow track, and like many on the album revolves around a bassline from Justin.  Polish lyrics, so I have no idea what is going on here.  Moves into a slightly rockier chorus, where I presume he is singing "Black Day something something".  Winds up with a nice guitar solo, not sure who's though, but it kinda sounds Mastodonish so I'll go with Brett Hinds (who is mentioned as a contributor in the liner notes).
Nothing's Matter Jungle Drums and more Polish vocals on the title track.  Good groove in parts, and a interesting chorus but ultimately a little forgettable for me.
Dub Set One of the better songs on the album.  Not really a dub track by any means, but has a nice chorus (once again in Polish).
Toothbrush A short segue which is really just an intro to Toad
Toad Justin takes care of vocal delivery on this track.  He has a strong accept as you may imagine, and he sings about dreaming.  Then the Polish vocals start up once more.
Wendell Some electronic noise and then a distorted bass riff make up most of this song.  It the features more Polish growling over the top.  Largely an instrumental track.
Dzein I Noc Almost dancey beat with a nice bassline over the top.  Definitely one of the best tracks on the album. 
Future A hip-hop-ish bass line melded with some Polish rapping.  Not as terrible as that sounds.  Moves into a more rocky chorus with some mad screaming.
78_Hardshell An electronic almost dancey tune with Justin taking care of vocals.  Quite unique compared to the rest of the album, and compared to what is "expected" from Justin.  Definitely the highlight of the album for me. You can listen to this track via Youtube.
White Face Kiss Another Justin song with a strong electronic beat and samples.  Almost spoken word.
Lanimal Session Tabla dominates this instrumental track, which also mixes in some of the message from Dear Eric.
Neo Another rock track, not dissimilar to Black Day, Polish vocals and another noodly bass line.

A sound a little negative in those track comments.  Really this isn't a bad album.  It sounds excellent, and has some really interesting ideas.  I like the tone of Peter's voice for the most part, but being in Polish makes is impenetrable, (a lyrics sheet probably would have helped) and I tend to prefer Justin's songs just because I can understand what he's saying, even though his singing and lyrics are nothing spectacular.  Justin's vocals do have a nice honest feel to them though, which is something I can respect in these days where autotune is so accessible.

I can't see myself listening to this album on a regular basis, but I think it is worth taking them time to listen to for most Tool fans.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Good review, thanks for that.

It never dawned on me that Justin might sing on a few tracks. I'm hoping when they release it digitally rhapsody is included so I can check it out.

In the meantime I'm going to give 78_Hardshell a listen.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said

Dear Eric is a segue of sorts, in which a PC reads out some kind of letter/email from Justin to someone called Eric.  I feel like I should know who Eric is but for the life of me can't.  Can't help but feel this is a message meant for listeners as much as for this Eric dude.

I think he was referring to Eric Avery the bassist for Jane's Addiction. 
Don't mow your lawn
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Learn some Polish and stop whinging about the vocals ffs! I have. Kurwa jego mac!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^Is everything you post a complaint and/or attack?

It's not the language that bothers me, I just don't like the guy's voice.
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Nothing’s Matter Lyrics
I’m lookin for hope somewhere at the bottom
among the remains and embers
and what’s inside of her
a hidden meaning
a trace
a shade of black
covered the world
into the sun
the thoughts are flowing
the time is passing
as long as the world exists
I’ll be wherever You are
You’ll be wherever I am
No one will end it
or cut it
nor finish it
a lifeline taken by time
the world
torment
a miracle
extasy
blood on hands
love and power
you know I love to see this pain
to touch
to believe
to save the world
to live through
to fall in love
to wash in the tears
so far we come in time
when we’re running blind
lost in space where nothing’s matter
as long as the world exists
there’s a battle within me
for the truth of my days
who am I in the storm of words
in the darkness of my dreams I see
a road different from all the other ordinary roads
thorny path and a miracle of life
I give the world to you today
in the darkness of my dreams
in the sea of words
in the darkness of Your dreams
as long as the world exists we’re the one in the world
there’s still a battle within me
for the truth of my days
on the edge
I touch the misery
I know how her blood and tears taste
against everyone
against everything
I stick my fist and knife deeper
I die for them
I’m reborn for You
and I look at this
at this miracle
Ki77aan :twisted:
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

UndKeineEier reiEenieKdnU said

hellboy1975 said

I think he was referring to Eric Avery the bassist for Jane's Addiction. 

Interesting if true. Eric is a member of Giraffe Tongue Orchestra, and I've heard a member of GTO say that a lot of unexpected guests are going to be involved in their debut album. I've been hoping that one of those guests is somebody from Tool.

"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Pretty sure the tabla is Dave from Intronaut.
James
Fanboi

Post by James »

That guy can play some drums, he's one of my favorite drummers!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Uh Danny is the drummer for Intronaut.  Dave can play drums, but his role with Intronaut is guitar and some vocals.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

David Timnick played the tabla on the album according to the liner notes. I have no idea if that's the Intronaut drummer or not.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

He's guitar/vocals for Intronaut but he's a drummer as well. He played 2nd drum set on the song, "Valley of Smoke," and also played drums on Lateralus once on their tour with Tool. He's also a very nice dude.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

mogeffingmog said
Uh Danny is the drummer for Intronaut.  Dave can play drums, but his role with Intronaut is guitar and some vocals.

Danny is the drummer for TooL, mog...come on now!

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

No he's not he's Marie's brother
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

So Danny is Maynards uncle?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

joeypants said
He's guitar/vocals for Intronaut but he's a drummer as well. He played 2nd drum set on the song, "Valley of Smoke," and also played drums on Lateralus once on their tour with Tool. He's also a very nice dude.

Yup I know.  He played Lateralus on his birthday if I am not mistaken.  Super nice dude.  Just didn't want people getting confused.  Danny Walker is Intronaut's drummer and he is fucking incredible.

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

hellboy1975 said
David Timnick played the tabla on the album according to the liner notes. I have no idea if that's the Intronaut drummer or not.

here:

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2013/02 ... interview/

DT: I recently did a side project with Justin Chancellor from Tool. I played drums, which will be—if it hasn’t already been released to the public—released soon. It’s called M.T.void, and the album’s called Nothing’s Matter. Highly recommend checking that one out.

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

hellboy1975 said
So Danny is Maynards uncle?

Only on his father's side.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.