The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:I think we've hit peak-Nolan now where it's far cooler to give his movies bad reviews.

Hating Nolan doesn't immediately make someone a Pitchfork Media worshipping hipster show-off. Doesn't take a raving intellect or artsy, self indulgent pretentiousness to recognise the flaws in his stadium sized emo-comic book melodramas and overwrought Michael Mann-isms.

Batman Vs Mumbly Joe Hockey Mask Guy had some of the clunkiest, most forced dialogue this side of Shamalamdingdong. And alarm bells SHOULD start ringing the minute you see the names Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon Levitt and (HA!) Anne Hathaway in the SAME movie. You just know you're in for one seriously OVER THE TOP act-a-thon over the next two and a half painful hours.

Takes more than a few explosions, the odd hi-tech car chase and some little kid singing the National Anthem juxtaposed against anarchist rebellion in the streets to make a good comic book film, doesn't it?

But then again, people seem to lap this shit up so.......I'll just shut up and go back to being a "hipster".

:|
Last edited by Calfium Jay on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote:Batman Vs Mumbly Joe Hockey Mask Guy
:lol:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Calfium Jay wrote:
hellboy wrote:I think we've hit peak-Nolan now where it's far cooler to give his movies bad reviews.

Hating Nolan doesn't immediately make someone a Pitchfork Media worshipping hipster show-off. Doesn't taking a raving intellect or artsy, self indulgent pretentiousness to recognise the flaws in his stadium sized emo-comic book melodramas and overwrought Michael Mann-isms.

Batman Vs Mumbly Joe Hockey Mask Guy had some of the clunkiest, most forced dialogue this side of Shamalamdingdong. And alarm bells SHOULD start ringing the minute you see the names Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon Levitt and (HA!) Anne Hathaway in the SAME movie. You just know you're in for one seriously OVER THE TOP act-a-thon over the next two and a half painful hours.

Takes more than a few explosions, the odd hi-tech car chase and some little kid singing the National Anthem juxtaposed against anarchist rebellion in the streets to make a good comic book film, doesn't it?

But then again, people seem to lap this shit up so.......I'll just shut up and go back to being a "hipster".

:|
yeah forget about the fact that:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/awards

just some explosions is all. no quality to his movies whatsoever. really, just stop being a cynical dickface.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Awards mean shit for both music and films.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Nolan is pretty polarizing and there are really solid arguments (that I happen to disagree with, but they're valid nonetheless) against his approach to filmmaking. But he is an objectively great filmmaker in MANY respects, and he has every right to be in the position he is. He's not a fluke or an undeserved Johnny-come-lately.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Johnny-Come-Lately actually does have some good movies though. Underappreciated director in my opinion.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'd like Christopher Nolan if his movies were based off board games and toys from the eighties.

Christopher Nolan's Chutes and Ladders is a movie I'd want to see.
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I'd like Christopher Nolan if his movies were based off board games and toys from the eighties.

Christopher Nolan's Hi-Ho Cherry-o
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Hahaha. A rigorously serious examination of Candyland.

Also, he's truly one of my favorites, but I don't think "under-appreciated" is a label you can apply to Christopher Nolan*.

*The Prestige, however, IS seriously under-appreciated in my opinion.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

not tyson wrote:Awards mean shit for both music and films.
yeah well a lot of people seem to disagree that it means "shit". when the Godfather won best picture it wasn't because of ticket sales or Marlon Brando's star power.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I'd like Christopher Nolan if his movies were based off board games and toys from the eighties.

I think you're confusing him with Michael Bay.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

HAPPY HALLOWEEN YOU FUCK HEADS!!!!!

Jason, Freddy and Michael. the circle of death.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
yeah well a lot of people seem to disagree that it means "shit". when the Godfather won best picture it wasn't because of ticket sales or Marlon Brando's star power.
Using an example from the 70's :lol:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

not tyson wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:
Using an example from the 70's :lol:
didn't Denzel win best actor for Training Day? was that in the 70's too?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The thing about awards and them meaning shit tends to only have any relevance when someone likes/dislikes a movie that didn't/did get them.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:didn't Denzel win best actor for Training Day? was that in the 70's too?
Oooooooooooooooh boy, Denzel did not deserve an oscar for Training Day, it's a known fact it was just his year after being overlooked for other films.

Tell me with a straight face his performance was better than Russell Crowe's in A Beautiful Mind.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

It was a pretty weak field that year. Russell Crowe was definitely better.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

not tyson wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:didn't Denzel win best actor for Training Day? was that in the 70's too?
Oooooooooooooooh boy, Denzel did not deserve an oscar for Training Day, it's a known fact it was just his year after being overlooked for other films.

Tell me with a straight face his performance was better than Russell Crowe's in A Beautiful Mind.
it's a known fact? allow me to retort...he was so good in this movie he made me want to be a black man for the first and only time in my life.

"SHOE PROGRAM NIGGA!!!"

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I really enjoyed Training Day, and Denzel was great in it, however he seems to play more or less the same character in every movie (albeit very well). He deserves an Oscar, but this isn't his best flick.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

N.Y.H.C. wrote: it's a known fact? allow me to retort...he was so good in this movie he made me want to be a black man for the first and only time in my life
That's kinda racist but anyway, you didn't answer my question.