Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by blacksabbath »

Puscifer should do more dance music. More female vocalists. That would be fun.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

^ that wouldn't be a bad thing. Carina Round needs a few extra fly girls next to her.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

I want to hear more 60's-70's style rock ............ fuckin graveyards doing it!

puscifer should make a twister game ...im sure the swinger culture be lovin it
go taff!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:
blacksabbath wrote:So, Puscifer could explode heads this year?
I doubt it, but the tweet refers to Tool, APC AND Puscifer all releasing something in order for heads to explode.

It seems like Puscifer will release something this year though, who knows if it's an album or an EP (I'd go with EP).
I agree.... i think maynard was referring to there not being an APC release this year. Is there any reason to think they might be even working on something?

I think we get a Puscifer EP, and a Tool release but not the album
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Billy has said various times that APC has nothing going on.
Hey! Denty!
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

I don't see how APC can do anything? By and Down is nothing like what they used to be. Maynard can't sing their songs in he same register. Their drummer is here and there. I would love some APC, but It seems like the timing was right when they were really working. I don't know if it can happen again? And Ashes Divide, yuck.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Ashes Divide is great. I listen to "Keep Telling Myself It's Alight" regularly, and would love to get a follow up to that album.

Also, Billy already has said that the music for the new APC album is written, he just needs Maynard to do vocals. There was an interview some time ago where he clearly stated this.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Billy said in an article about a year ago that Maynard is in "full Tool mode" and will not be working with APC for at least until the Tool album is finished. Tool album will not be coming out in 2015. Ain't a snowball's chance in hell. It will be out in 2016. Tool will tour from 2016 - 2025 behind the new record. New APC in 2026. Heads explode.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

This article came out in November 2013: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=37905

"Outside of “By and Down,” over the last 5 years or so there’s been talk of other new songs being in the works over the years, at various stages of completion. How many other songs would you estimate are somewhat written, with music and melody and lyrics. Are there actually fully developed songs?"

"Yeah there are fully developed songs without lyrics and melody as far as I know. I’ve given Maynard a few, I don’t know how many I’ve given him over the years. But as far as the music end goes, I’ve got 75% of the foundation of [the next] A Perfect Circle record ready to go. I think that all will change once Maynard gets involved and he has more time to focus on it. All those things can change and get ripped up, or maybe stay the same. He might just sing over them the way they are, and then I’ll tighten them up from there. Time will tell, in the beginning of the band that’s the way it was. I had songs that were pretty well realized, and Maynard sang on them. Who knows, it could go back to that or we could find a different direction."

Okay so the new album is 'mostly' written, but it sounds like Billy is just waiting for Maynard to do his thing on the new APC material and then we will have ourselves a new record.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I'm more and more leaning towards the fact that this project that Tool supposedly are working on simply might just be a shit ton of material. Justin did in fact say that this was their biggest project of their life so the album might just be extremely long, plus that something else. Pink Floyd style movie? Problem 8? Opiate video? The Pot video? Maybe all..? Who knows.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

children wrote:"Keep Telling Myself It's Alight"
I've tried this several times while listening to Ashes Divide, but it never changes the fact that it's a bland, emotionless version of APC with shitty vocals.
blacksabbath wrote:By and Down is nothing like what they used to be.
This, combined with eMotive and how lackluster their recent live shows were gives me almost no excitement for APC these days. I'd much rather Tool and Puscifer releases.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Yeah Ashes Divide took a while to grow on me, but now i keep returning to it again and again. There is some truly beautiful pieces of music on that album.

"A Wish" and "Ritual" together is a masterpiece...
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

No one can convince me ashes divide was a project with any kind of passion or confidence behind it. Everything sounds derivative of tool and APC. And APC is going in that direction. I would rather see them be booming, but not at the cost of tool. And I am praying that Tool will release something epic after all this time, and 10k days. Puscifer seems to just whip out generally listenable stuff with ease, so I'm actually excited to see if that goes anywhere else. It's just fun. But, for the record, I love 10k days, just not as much as all that can before it.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

fuckin rights @ettan
go taff!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

New Adam interview:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/exclusive-w ... 74956.html
In mid-February, Tool guitarist Adam Jones posted a short film on his Facebook page in which Motorhead drummer Mikkey Dee walks into the lounge of a studio where both bands are working, and asks Jones what he’s doing. The guitarist offhandedly replies that that Tool is working on “some tunes.”

Exclusive: With Legal Obstacles Out of the Way Tool Are Again Hard at Work
Indeed, it is, and now that a soul-draining lawsuit that dragged on for eight years has been settled in the band’s favor, Tool is feeling more inspired to create than it has in a long time.

“When you try to be ethical and sleep well at night and try to do the right thing, and people around you are not doing the right thing and trying to take advantage of you, it really affects your creativity and your sleep and your relationships with people and everything you do,” Jones reveals in an exclusive interview with Yahoo! Music. “We would have had an album out a long time ago, we would have been taking more tours. But we’ve been discouraged and distracted by this major lawsuit, which is the worst thing that’s ever happened to us. It reminds me of one of those ads you see on TV where a guy goes, ‘Have you been in a car wreck? Call us!’”

The Kafka-esque scenario, which wrapped up the week of March 2, began in 2007 when one of Tool’s employees claimed he created artwork for the band and wanted credit. Jones insists there was no merit in the man’s claim and the band assumed its insurance company would take care of the matter. The company refused, and when Tool disputed the legality of their refusal, the company filed its own suit against the band.

“It got really ugly and shameful,” Jones says. “This is a real simplification of the matter — but imagine paying auto insurance, getting into a wreck, and expecting the insurance company to cover you. And they come back to you and say, ‘Well, you drive an SUV and we don’t consider that an auto so we’re not going to cover you.’ And then they turn around and sue you because you want them to cover you. It’s crazy.”

For years, L.A. courts delayed the case and, according to Jones, Tool dealt with a creatively crippling series of depositions, briefs, litigators, and judges. Then, late last week, the case was finally settled in the band’s favor, leaving Tool feeling like wrongly accused prisoners who were finally exonerated.

“I had a real feeling that things were going to go in our favor because the day the trial was supposed to start, the venue was changed on us,” Jones says. “We moved over to a North L.A. courthouse and we had a brand-new judge, who was fantastic. You know what his name was? Randy Rhodes! I knew the power of metal, and my appreciation of metal was someday going to be like a guardian angel. But he was great. He came in and took over, and he’s the reason the whole thing is finally over.”

In addition to dealing with seemingly insurmountable legal obstacles, Tool has been affected by previously undisclosed health issues, which impaired its progress. “I’d rather let the person who dealt with the illness talk about it out of respect,” Jones says. “But one thing was a really scary do-or-die, serious illness and that was really scary. When you’re trying to write music and you have that eating away at you – this person you’re married to and you love and hate at the same time has something they’re dealing with that’s out of their control – it’s distracting.”

Tool fans that have eagerly waited nine years for the follow-up to the band’s last album, 10,000 Days, should be thrilled to find out that the band is on the mend and creating again. At present, Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor, and drummer Danny Carey have finished one yet-untitled track and have more than 10 songs in various stages of completion.

“Our greatest strength is jamming and coming up with stuff,” Jones says. “We’re doing that really well now and I’m excited about everything we’re working on. Some of it’s really heavy, some of it’s complex and some is more atmospheric, but it’s definitely Tool. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done.”

The next step is making plans for vocalist Maynard James Keenan to come in and start tracking vocals. In a post on his Facebook page, Keenan wrote, “I’ve been making regular trips to check on the writing progress of my Tool brethren… I’m as anxious to get this album completed as everyone else, but as history will show, you can’t rush these gents.”

There was once a time when Keenan would enter the studio with his bandmates and sit around while they worked out parts for songs. But as soon as he came up with a complimentary vocal part they’d change the rhythmic structure of what they were working on and what Keenan composed no longer worked. That’s the point when he decided he would leave the studio and allow his bandmates to finish songs before he came in to add vocals.

“We’re like painters that all work differently,” Jones explains. “Some painters can paint in a day. That’s kind of like Maynard. He’s so good at coming up with melodies and lyrics almost instantaneously. I’m the kind of painter who likes to paint one area and then sand it out and try something else. And then I’ll try different palettes.

“We all work differently and we’re all very respectful of each other’s process. We’ve really come to realize that as you get older, you really have to work at your relationships. Your bandmates change and you change, and you have to work to keep the relationship positive and the communication alive.”

Jones hopes the next Tool album will be finished and ready for release before the end of the year, but he emphasizes that the band won’t rush anything just to hitting an arbitrary deadline. Such statements leave certain fans skeptical that they’ll be hearing another Tool record any time soon.

Some have even posted amusing memes, one of which features disgraced and discredited news anchor Brian Williams and the words, “So there I was listening to the new Tool album…”

Another depicts Christopher Lloyd’s character from Back to the Future and the text, “I’ve been to the future… The New Tool album is amazing!” A third features an image of a skeleton slumped over a studio board and the caption, “I’m going to be mixing the next Tool Album.”

“I like some of the negative stuff that makes fun of us,” Jones says. “Anyway, everyone’s entitled to their opinion and everyone has a voice now. So that’s great. But the priority for us is not to dwell on any criticism or to worry about scheduling, and instead to just do a good album that we’re really happy with.”

In addition to taking time to ensure the songs they compose meet their rigid standards, Jones admits that Tool doesn’t feel the same sense of urgency to finish the record that the band used to experience when it entered the studio.

“We’re older guys now,” he explains. “Everyone kind of has their own life, and the fire that burned in us when we were in our 20s isn’t there anymore. There’s still a fire, it’s just a different kind of fire. So of course, we’re writing and working hard, but we’ve gotten to a point where we’re relaxed and we’re meeting occasionally to get the writing done instead of every day. But I feel like every day we work on the songs is a productive day and we’re getting closer and closer to finishing them.”
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Good read. The more he talks about this lawsuit the more I think that perhaps it was a much bigger deal than we thought.

It's cool to see that he thinks there's a chance for the new album this year, however small it may be.
Hey! Denty!
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Who had the super-serious illness?
I like to poop naked.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

So, life or death illness from an actual band member? Justin would make the most sense. Seems like Danny and Maynard have been on the go for most of the delay. I wonder how much music they just scratched from this record? Danny stated, in 2011, that they had 4 songs (half the album) in the works. So they were banging out music 3 or 4 years after their legal troubles started. They were actually shooting for 2011 to hit the studio for this album. Now in 2015 they possibly have 11 songs. They either scratched a shitload of music or extended and changed a ton, which is very possible as well. The reason I am leaning towards the band possibly canning music is Adam keeps mentioning that he is now happy with the music and it meets Tool standards. He makes it sound like the writing has taken extra long because the original music was falling off the tracks due to external distractions.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

markuspoop wrote:Who had the super-serious illness?
It sounds to me like it was someone close to the band as opposed to someone in the band. A wife or gf is my guess. Adam used the phrase "this person".

Of course I'm talking out of my ass, but other than Danny's scooter accident (that they made sure to point out was minor) we've heard nothing of any of them being seriously ill.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

markuspoop wrote:Who had the super-serious illness?
Danny's dad was pretty sick for a while leading up to his death, and from all accounts they were pretty close.

I've also heard about a potential health issue (not a scooter accident as some suggest) with one of the members, however am not really at liberty to say who, nor do I want to fuel what could be unfounded rumours. From what I heard it was quite serious, and while life-threatening is maybe a bit of a stretch it certainly would have had considerable impact on the new album.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

You can't discusses rumors?
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

"But one thing was a really scary do-or-die, serious illness and that was really scary"

Potentially cancer that was picked up and treated. Adam has said before that whoever it was seemed to be given the all clear and they have gotten over it thankfully. No point digging, im just glad all seems to be OK now and they are making some solid progress on new music.
blacksabbath
Duck Hater

Post by blacksabbath »

I'm glad that they aren't in a hurry to meet any arbitrary deadlines.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Well not sure what or who it was, but I hope all is well for whomever was ill. Glad to hear things are progressing. It'll get here peeps, stay patient
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:You can't discusses rumors?
The info I have is most likely accurate, but it's not something I'm willing to put out there unless I can verify it.

Anyway, my understanding is that the issue is pretty much done and dusted.