Walking out my front door.

liz
Lunchinator

Re: Walking out my front door.

Post by liz »

Naattik wrote:
liz wrote:I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have )
Yes, you seem to be quite more forgiving than I Liz.
It's an acquired taste I'm sure and one that I developed from exposure on this site and the tutelage of Matthew. I have said it many times before that much of this music I wouldn't play at home but the intensity at a gig is another level.

There are actually a world of wonderful performers out there, and the hit and miss involved in "making it" is something I acknowledge more the more I see.

I look forward to one day taking in a Fowlers gig with you Kittaan. Make it happen!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

liz wrote:Kenny just gets under my skin, an over-rated voice that gets more annoying and unlistenable as he ages.
Fixed that for ya Liz ... you're welcome
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

petemasterpete wrote:
liz wrote:Kenny just gets under my skin, an over-rated voice that gets more annoying and unlistenable as he ages.
Fixed that for ya Liz ... you're welcome
His unaccompanied vocal, which we heard several times throughout the set, was basically flawless, but I did think I heard him say "this ones for that miserable bastard Pete" before they played Scarabs. ;)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

It's not how he sings, but the tone.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:It's not how he sings, but the tone.
What do you mean by that exactly? Is it his high notes, because I'd say his pitch is spot on and he holds them well. I like a good soprano though...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

liz wrote:
What do you mean by that exactly? Is it his high notes, because I'd say his pitch is spot on and he holds them well. I like a good soprano though...
Nah, it's just the way his voice grates like fingers down a chalkboard. It's a subjective thing. He sings just fine, just I think his voice blows and more or less ruins the music.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
liz wrote:
Nah, it's just the way his voice grates like fingers down a chalkboard. It's a subjective thing. He sings just fine, just I think his voice blows and more or less ruins the music.
That opinion on Kenny's voice always amuses me, given your (and Petey's) predilection for gawdawful grind/cookie monster/etc vocals. You are welcome to your opinion, of course, but forgive me if I don't put a whole lot of store in what you have to say on the topic.

In my opinion, the vocals are a large part of why Karnivool are such an excellent band.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

That's a lazy comparison Kittaan, and I appreciate your trolling efforts. I'm capable of appreciating vocalists with a broad spectrum of singing styles, just not Kenny's.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Yes, I was definitely taking the piss, but I still do not get what's so bad about Kenny's vocals. I really like what he does.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Hellboy just struggles with vocals he can't sing along to.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Actually I'm a great singer and can hit all the high notes!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:Actually I'm a great singer and can hit all the high notes!
An ability only exceeded by your dance moves!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Evidence of both, pleeze.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Went out to see King Parrot last night. Was a decent show, with all the bands being worth watching (though non e super compelling either). Crowd was pretty average - venue was lucky to be half full. Given that there were three touring bands, I imagine the bands/promoter took a bit of a bath last night.

King Parrot, for all the hype are an ok live band. Sound at the Unibar was passable at best. While it was a fun show, I don't think I'd rush out to see them live again.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Nice. My old thread. Useful for remembering some of what I see.

I had a fabulous weekend. The bloke and I hosted a band from Melbourne called I Am Duckeye or more recently just Duckeye. We got to know these guys about a decade or more ago basically from going to a gig and enjoying what we heard. This current band is an offshoot of that musical experience and this particular band has morphed from a musical comedy act to a more serious metal/punk sound (I really struggle with genre descriptors). The two sets we saw on the weekend were fabulous. Great riffs, compelling stage presence and showmanship with a seriously good drummer this band are worth taking the time to see. They are playing a lot at the moment and have been on several festival bills along the east coast.

https://iamduckeye.bandcamp.com/track/finger

Jules also gave us a set of his solo project Long Hours. It's hard to really get a sense through this type of recording but this was strangely compelling.

Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

No word on how the food situation went??
Listen to All Them Witches
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Busty McCracken wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm No word on how the food situation went??
I had no complaints, nachos, falafel and yiros (with slow cooked lamb).

Oh and my home made breakfast pies.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Damn that sounds good! Love me a good yirros
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

King Crimson tonight. Last minute pit ticket became available!

Stoked.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Nice and a pit ticket to boot.

Get out amongst it young fella!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Wait.. Kittaans young? I always assumed you be 67 at least?? :shock:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Quite the mosh at a KC show I imagine
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Just woke up from my nap, ya young whippersnappers... keep it down.

"Pit" in this case was all seated. Amazing view, killer show. Those old fuckers really nailed it, and the setlist was a great pull from the many faces of KC. The last few Crimson gigs I attended were enjoyable, but missing a spark in my opinion. And the 3 drummer thing seemed a bit much, as amazing as it was on some songs. Not this time, it was all just perfect. I loved the radically different intros / vocal style of several classics. Brought new life to the material and made it... fun. Gavin Harrison was such a shining star on the kit, I had to tear my eyes away to check out the rest of the lot.

I would have gone the next night if I could have justified the cost.

Set One
Drumsons
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Suitable Grounds for the Blues
Red
Moonchild
Epitaph
Drumzilla
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Part IV)
Cirkus
Frame by Frame
Indiscipline

Set Two
Drumsons
Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)
Islands
Easy Money
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:
The Court of the Crimson King
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Damn, this thread is dusty…. amusing that the last entry was also my review of a King Crimson show, from the Pit... as is this.

Finally hit a live show again. My first since January 2020, I believe.

California Guitar Trio, very enjoyable short set

Zappa Band (not Dweezil’s gig, mostly Zappa alumnae - Mike Keneally, Scott Thunes, Ray White, Robert Martin, Joe Travers, Jamie Kime), they were impeccable. Killer set of classics. Sound was a bit compromised likely because we were in the pit, they didn’t sound check and it was their first gig on this tour with KC. I loved every minute of it.

Zomby Woof
Peaches en Regalia
I Ain't Got No Heart
Marqueson's Chicken
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
City of Tiny Lites
Alien Orifice
Florentine Pogen
Andy

The main attraction, King Crimson. Lead guitarist Robert Fripp, joined by bassist Tony Levin, vocalist/multi-instrumentalist Jakko Jakszyk, multi-instrumentalist Mel Collins, and drummers Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison, and Jeremy Stacey. They were in incredible form, so obviously stoked to be performing again, well rehearsed and playing like youngsters despite the obvious. Again, I loved every minute of it. The show went by way too fast and they left us wanting much, much more. I think it's hilarious that SetList.com mentions Schizoid "drum solos"... the entire set was a drum solo from all three of those badass drummers. The sound was perfect; they obviously dialed it in meticulously.

Intro
(Fripp's music can change the world intro/announcement)
Islands Coda
Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row
Pictures of a City
The Court of the Crimson King
Red
One More Red Nightmare
Islands
Radical Action II
Level Five
Indiscipline
Starless
Encore:
21st Century Schizoid Man
(With Jeremy Stacey and Gavin Harrison drum solos)

Both Fripp and Levin came out to talk to the VIP crowd before the show. They were very entertaining. Hopefully everyone was vaccinated, we were packed in like sardines and saw very few masks. The venue was open air with quite a bit of wind, so that's much less concerning. Saw quite a few Tool shirts, Melvins, Opeth, Steven Wilson, etc.

If they are coming to a city near you... don't hesitate.
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:53 am
If they are coming to a city near you... don't hesitate.
you post got me amped, checking the tour dates brought me back to earth. no where near me, sad pizza :(
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite