Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by hellboy »

Unicode I expect
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

▧▨▩ wrote:A co-worker just pointed me to the lyrics for the title track on Money Shot and discussed how it's not too much of a stretch to interpret them as being about mjk's frustration with the guys regarding the snail's pace of progress on the upcoming album. I'm not entirely sure it's accurate, but I thought it was pretty interesting and it makes me wonder if he'll work through some of these meta issues in the new work.
Oh...

Hey, Maynard.

<waves>
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
▧▨▩
Maynard Believer

Post by ▧▨▩ »

hellboy wrote:I think there's very little doubt that there are some internal issues within the band, and plenty of frustration not limited to just Maynard.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Unicorn code, you say?...

Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

▧▨▩ wrote:
hellboy wrote:I think there's very little doubt that there are some internal issues within the band, and plenty of frustration not limited to just Maynard.
Another rip-off from my April Fools joke back in 2014?

http://www.fourtheye.net/2014/04/tool-a ... -brothers/
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

You forgot to change "monster" to "lobster" in that pull-quote at the top there.
Don't mow your lawn
sudnshok
Bronco's Fan

Post by sudnshok »

I know I'm a pessimist on this band and the new album but it's May 11 and it's not like there are updates mentioning any progress whatsoever lately. Do you guys think they are even actively working on this album anymore? I get the feeling they get together like twice a month now at best and jam for like an hour or two tops.

At what point do even the most optimistic of you say this new album is just never going to happen? End of 2018?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I wouldn't break your brain over it. They're clearly set on making something great, if you step back and look at the big picture (despite the interminably long gestation period). And none of us have any idea how much they practice/write/jam.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

sudnshok wrote:I know I'm a pessimist on this band and the new album but it's May 11 and it's not like there are updates mentioning any progress whatsoever lately. Do you guys think they are even actively working on this album anymore? I get the feeling they get together like twice a month now at best and jam for like an hour or two tops.

At what point do even the most optimistic of you say this new album is just never going to happen? End of 2018?
I know it's hard to be optimistic sometimes, but I believe that the album is largely done, and that when Danny said they hope to record in the Fall recently that he actually meant it.

I've been fooled before of course, but this time I'm feeling better about it.
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

I was in my 20s when I was backpacking through Europe to watch Tool perform 10,000 Days. I will be 40 next year. That alone put's this wait into perspective for me. It may just be that my testosterone is decreasing, but I really don't care anymore if these guys put out another record. They are definitely still one of my favorite bands, but nowhere near as relevant to me as they once were. There's too much good music being offered from other/new artists to continue an infatuation with Tool's next release. They are obviously still dealing with some internal problems. I will say that if we don't see them in the studio in 2018, then what is the point? And what's the over/under on it sounding like a clusterfuck?
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Bill Hilly wrote:And what's the over/under on it sounding like a clusterfuck?
If this album ever gets released- holy shit, it better be great from the first listen on. I just don't see the hype matching the outcome. They've definitely dug themselves into a hole reception wise.

As far as "alt" bands that got their start in the late 80's into the early 90's, none of them are making "great" albums anymore. No diss to them, I just think musicians only have so much in them, and it's typically a younger, "hungry" persons territory.

Just watched Roger Waters on a late show the other night- Yeeesh! if that's the best song of his upcoming album.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

After Maynard made a comment about "Tool finally finding common ground" a while back, it further solidifies my assumption that some music has definitely been scrapped.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Krazy_blah wrote:If this album ever gets released- holy shit, it better be great from the first listen on. I just don't see the hype matching the outcome. They've definitely dug themselves into a hole reception wise.
People shouldn't be buying into hype, especially when it's being generated by the fans. The band aren't hyping the next album.

I don't see what it being "great from the first listen on" has to do with anything. Personally I didn't think any of the Tool albums were great on first listen, but each and every one grew on me.
After Maynard made a comment about "Tool finally finding common ground" a while back, it further solidifies my assumption that some music has definitely been scrapped.
I'd be surprised if music had been scrapped entirely, but I agree that writers block or dissatisfaction with what was initially written is the most likely excuse for the delays.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

Krazy_blah wrote:
Just watched Roger Waters on a late show the other night- Yeeesh! if that's the best song of his upcoming album.
That man is still hungry in his mid 70s. Much respect to Roger Waters. But really are they eating though?
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

hellboy wrote: I'd be surprised if music had been scrapped entirely, but I agree that writers block or dissatisfaction with what was initially written is the most likely excuse for the delays.
And it's not so far-fetched to assume that the dissatisfaction isn't necessarily from the other 3. I believe Maynard did mention that he had some difficulty with the 10,000 Days instrumentals and he wanted to be included more in the writing process this time around.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Lots of pressure on the next album HB, lots of pressure. 31.5 psi to be exact if my Walmart digital tire pressure gauge is calibrated correctly.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Bill Hilly wrote:
hellboy wrote: I'd be surprised if music had been scrapped entirely, but I agree that writers block or dissatisfaction with what was initially written is the most likely excuse for the delays.
And it's not so far-fetched to assume that the dissatisfaction isn't necessarily from the other 3. I believe Maynard did mention that he had some difficulty with the 10,000 Days instrumentals and he wanted to be included more in the writing process this time around.
I dunno man, if you take Maynard at his word he hadn't really heard any music until around the last 12 months.

I do remember Maynard's statement regarding songwriting, but on the surface of things it appears he makes little effort to enable this kind of scenario.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I don't know either. It would be great if we did though! It's been extremely quiet lately. Par for the course.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Bill Hilly wrote:
I think he gave up on wanting to be involved in the writing process a very long time ago. At this point I don't think he cares much about what happens with Tool. I don't like the guy very much but I do respect his work ethic so I don't imagine he is just going to show up for a pay check. I have no doubt he will give his best if there is a new album at some point, which I still don't believe will actually ever happen. Too many lies and too much bullshit.

Again everyone wants to circle the wagon with easy bake oven excuses but it all boils down to laziness. Thats it. Adam, Justin and Danny are fucking lazy. They feel no pressure to stay relevant and produce material as they fill up arenas playing the same fucking songs over and over again. They sell out $500 VIP passes for a chance to sit with the world's most awkward guitar player where he proceeds to wax poetic about how their "process" works..yet nothing ever actually happens.

Lets do a quick summary...

New Tool website...nope
Opiate vid/curvebal...nope
Toolarmy fix/redesign...nope
New Tool album...been coming "soon" since 2013...soooo..nope

So yeah, that pretty much sums up what Tool is all about these days.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hard to argue with most of that Moggie. But I'm also finding it hard to care too much about it.

There are plenty of other great artists out there making great music. Even some of the Djenty shit you like!

Friendly advice: Try some yoga/meditation and don't fret so much about shit you can't change.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Kittaan wrote:Try some yoga/meditation and don't fret so much about shit you can't change.
ESPECIALLY with regard to what certain bands or artists may or may not be doing!! haha

Not pointed at anyone, but if you ever find yourself getting THAT worked up/stressed/preoccupied with such things, please god, take up an instrument or brush or camera and start making your own. Probably means you have the itch.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Also on a totally unrelated note: I would literally donate one testicle for a professional soundboard recording of that Demon Cleaner cover they did years back (live, doesn't have to be studio). So... yeah. Put that on the next Salival/live release, boys, and we're all square.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

joeypants wrote:Also on a totally unrelated note: I would literally donate one testicle for a professional soundboard recording of that Demon Cleaner cover they did years back (live, doesn't have to be studio). So... yeah. Put that on the next Salival/live release, boys, and we're all square.
Whos testicle, and left or right?
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

joeypants wrote:Also on a totally unrelated note: I would literally donate one testicle for a professional soundboard recording of that Demon Cleaner cover they did years back (live, doesn't have to be studio). So... yeah. Put that on the next Salival/live release, boys, and we're all square.
Such an excellent cover.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.