Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Discuss Tool live shows both past and future
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: Tool Spring 2017 Tour

Post by Ravenpig »

Um what are you talking about that set list kicks ass
Hey! Denty!
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

Ravenpig wrote:Um what are you talking about that set list kicks ass
I'm not complaining about it, but it's nothing new. There's going to be the usual bitching about it from certain people though.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
munchieswolf
Bronco's Fan

Post by munchieswolf »

Ravenpig wrote:Um what are you talking about that set list kicks ass
It's great if you've never seen the band live before. It's great if you haven't seen the band live since '94. It's not so great otherwise.

#bringbackDRT
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Tool Spring 2017 Tour (includes spoilers!)

Post by hellboy »

Setlist is great, just so long as you weren't expecting any significant changes.

As much as I'd like to see some new material in the set (be it old songs or new) if I went to a Tool show and got that set, I wouldn't go home disappointed.

It's by every definition a "Greatest Hits" set. Bring on a new album and new tour.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
Tool live 2017 at Eagle Bank Arena
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Adam was pretty rough there, Maynard following up a strong APC performance with some equally strong Tool vocals.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

So, is the Opiate video still being worked on or is it completed?

If it's done, why don't they just use it as the background video when they're playing the song? Seems like a good way to advertise the video if they decide to sell it as a DVD. They could actually have it for sale at the merchandise booths with all the other swag.

But what do I know? :roll:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

What the fuck is actually going on with Opiate is a bit of a mystery. From memory Adam announced it was done at the last tours VIP sessions, but didn't have the means to show it (I doubt this story).

Here we are some time later and there still is no release, or even anything to suggest it's on the horizon.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

hellboy wrote:Here we are some time later and there still is no release, or even anything to suggest it's on the horizon.
^^^ Par for the course.

Has anyone listened to the new Linkin Park album!?!?!? :P
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've avoided listening to their albums for this long, not about to change that any time soon.
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

For someone who hasn't seen Tool since 2007/2010 that setlist is fucking awesome. Probably about half of the tracks on there I haven't heard live before. If I was being picky there's maybe one or two tracks ive heard a couple times now that I hope get changed up or rotated out a bit on this tour but otherwise... bring on the show!!!
3po1nt0
of Arimathea

Post by 3po1nt0 »

ok the encouraging part of this setlist for me is that i haven't seen third eye since 2014 and sweat since forever, if ever. went to san diego 1, not 2 last year and monster mash before that

you really can't complain about grudge, parabola, opiate considering those were rare or unplayed for so long prior to 2015/2016

my seemingly reasonable hopes that they'd toss in a different / mid-tempo track like right in two or patient have been dashed unless there's some swapping that goes on between nights. i was being realistic in that of course i always hope they'll play ticks and leeches but that ship has sailed. should've gone to vegas 2012 dammit

anyway, the gorge will be profound and sublime regardless of the music, maybe they'll feel suitably inspired up there to mix it up but unless something drastic changes over the next 2-3 weeks, it's disappointingly unlikely.
3.1.97||7.11.97||7.3.98||8.15.01||11.24.02||4.30.06||9.7.06||9.8.06||7.14.07||12.10.07||12.14.07||8.22.09||7.18.10||7.19.10||3.12.14||3.16.14||10.31.15||1.9.16||6.17.17||10.20.19||10.21.19||1.18.22||10.8.23||2.14.24||2.15.24||2.17.24
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

nxrm wrote:
ncast2523 wrote:VIP Spoilers

In VIP Adam mentioned playing something "old" - whatever that means.

At soundcheck the boys sans M were jamming the beginning of Wings. Danny had the big drum samples loaded up.

Got to see most of the new Opiate video - it's pretty sweet!

Adam also mentioned wanting to cover Cream - White Room on this tour but Maynard said no because they didn't send him the music soon enough for this tour.
Thanks for sharing the information. Were you in attendance or was this passed along to you/read somewhere else?

Just curious if you can share anything else that happened in the VIP.

Thanks again!
hellboy wrote:What the fuck is actually going on with Opiate is a bit of a mystery. From memory Adam announced it was done at the last tours VIP sessions, but didn't have the means to show it (I doubt this story).

Here we are some time later and there still is no release, or even anything to suggest it's on the horizon.
I was at the VIP too.
Just to add a few things...

Opiate video was shown on a small TV for the group. Adam acted like he needed permission from one of his people there to show it. It was pretty sweet. It was made by someone Adam choose that does other A/V stuff. Can't remember his name... I'll try to come up with it. Adam mentioned that he wasn't sure if they were going to release it anytime soon because they kinda missed the boat with the re-release of Opiate. He said it would eventually see that light of day... at some point. Haha!

Cream - White room - Someone asked how they decided to do No Quarter and he said it was just kinda decided from them jammin it. Adam then said said they, Adam, Danny and Justin, have jammed White Room but doing it live wasn't in the works because Maynard poo pooed the idea. During the sound check. Wasn't really a sound check for the VIP's, we had to wait till they were done and then we were ushered down to the stage and got to sit for one song, sans Maynard, and a little more. Myself and the few people I was around decided that if they asked for any requests like they had done in the past, that we were going to yell out White Room! Unfortunately, it didn't happen. :(

Adam played some new stuff they have been working on too. Sounded pretty good! It was also played during the show... you can probably find it by watching the concert on youtube... it was played when the background effects showed a large pyramid on the screen.

The show itself was pretty good. Was real happy to hear Sweat and Parabola! A few glitches but overall a decent show. The new lighting and effects were sweet! Thanks Junior, nice work! Danny's drum solo was incredible! WOW!

Posters - same bugs but the poster had velvet for the black background.
Professor of Lesbian Science
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

oh, one other thing... Opiate has a new 5 minute addition in the middle.
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

It is a very good setlist, but(hahaha there always is a but) I have seen this already and really wish that Maynard would switch it up a bit. I blame him because Adam has mentioned that May May chooses the setlists. Let's get Rosetta Stoned in place of Schism and Stinkfist. I would rather take that long song instead of those 2 way over played songs. I really hope they switch up a song or two while the tour goes on.

Like some people have said it's a great setlist for those fans in the east coast that haven't seen them the last few years. Really kind of a bummer if this is the setlist for the San Bernardino show because it's the same one they did in San Diego. It will be a lot of the same fans putting their money down for the same show? Luckily we are 5 other bands playing threw out the day and it's always a good show seeing Tool live no matter the setlist.

About the Opiate video, come the fuck on Adam, and just release it digitally on the website so you can get a shit load of money from it. No need to use iTunes or Amazon so you can make even more money. We don't need any artwork that I won't look at, like Schism and Parobola videos, and I would like that newly recorded Opiate track on my phone please. It's a waste of paper and DVD material to release it the old way. Don't get me wrong I would still buy a hard copy, but it's done and just release the damn thing digitally from the website. Quit the fucking stalling and it's crazy they aren't even playing the video during the song at the live show. What's that all about?

Edit: before the joke, the chill isn't being very chill, I am very stoked to see Tool live again and any setlist is a good one when it's Tool live.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Thanks for the detailed information about your VIP experience basejumper.

The Opiate video "issue" is just increasingly puzzling. I'm just going to put it out of mind and be pleasantly surprised once/if it's released.

Dominic Hailstone was previously mentioned to be the director of the video.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Still no love from Undertow. How about Flood in place of one of the songs we've heard a billion times. It's good to see Third Eye make a comeback though. I haven't seen that or Vicarious since 2010. So there's that.
munchieswolf
Bronco's Fan

Post by munchieswolf »

nxrm wrote:The Opiate video "issue" is just increasingly puzzling.
If I had to guess, the new version of Opiate and its corresponding video will serve as the new record's Salival. Either that, or it'll be an extra addition for a deluxe or special edition version of the record, and an excuse to charge fans more money.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

.... and another tidbit...
Adam had to move out of his house because of the Cali rains this year. He had a leak around the fireplace and mold started to grow. Insurance company was called in to remove the toxic crap. The situation will most likely cause at least another year delay on the release of the new album :lol:
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

nxrm wrote: Dominic Hailstone was previously mentioned to be the director of the video.
Yes, he was the guy! Thanks!
GabesCaves
My pain is just an excuse

Post by GabesCaves »

basejumper wrote:.... and another tidbit...
Adam had to move out of his house because of the Cali rains this year. He had a leak around the fireplace and mold started to grow. Insurance company was called in to remove the toxic crap. The situation will most likely cause at least another year delay on the release of the new album :lol:
No matter how successful, we all have annoying crap to deal with. Hope his home is repaired soon
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Weird report from the VIP:
Adam told us they had re-recorded Opiate and had a new album music video we got to watch the new Opiate video. He stated that they were not sure it was ever going to get released. Adam commissioned another artist to make it as well with no micro managing or nit picking of the video.
I wonder why they wouldn't release it, yet seem ok with showing it at a VIP?
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

I'm sure he will be fine, unlike the US 1 which is probably fucked for a while. Was planning on driving it on my way from San Jose to LA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

According to the reddit thread of tonight's show they played Rosetta Stoned right before Forty-Six & 2.
Hey! Denty!