Mastodon

Music in all its forms and styles
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Mastodon

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:
M0G wrote:New Mastodon tomorrow. My dick is so hard.
Wheeeeee. I still haven't stopped jamming it for the most part over the past few weeks. I love it, although plenty of others will disagree. Can't wait for my vinyl to come in.
This is why I love waiting for albums. Leaks are such a waste. I have enjoyed watching the days tick down. It is something to look forward to. Patience is a wonderful thing. Granted there is a limit on patience, say maybe after 6 years... ;)

Like I said dude even High Road has grown on me...love the opening riff and general sludgy vibe. It is thicker than anything on The Hunter. A little more straight forward but nice and crunchy. Chorus isn't my favorite but on a decent set of speakers or headphones it isn't as bad, just a little off in the mix, something in the way they recorded it. From what I can tell from the two songs they released the album is meant to be played LOUD. It has that dynamic. Chimes at Midnight is fantastic.
The most intelligent person on this forum
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I didn't get the leak, so I'm not a hypocrite yet. ;)
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Oh and yes, I mean this goes for basically any heavy album (or album in general, in my opinion) but it's meant to be very loud.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:I didn't get the leak, so I'm not a hypocrite yet. ;)
Good for you dude. Did you listen to the full stream? I refrained from that as well. Thought you had already posted a full review?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I obtained a copy from a source. ;)

Unlike some assholes out there, I do not leak these things or generally tell people when I get them. I can't stand streams, I'll really only listen to things early if it's one of these situations. I have to be able to take it to my car or the rehearsal-space PA system or something. Which I have been doing a LOT since I got it, haha. I read one reviewer say that it's a really good "summer" album and they mentioned something about it being perfect "as you're speeding away from work on a Friday afternoon" and that's a nice way to sum it up for me. It's very "energizing" to me.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

I'm loving it also. Some great moments and some meh but overall it's a solid album. With the exception of Curl of the Burl, I've never listened to The Hunter so I can't compare. Current favorite track: The Motherload.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Interesting, that's one of the ones I'm not so hot on. Basically I'm in love with everything but that, Once More 'Round The Sun, and Halloween. Everything else is the tits to me.

Also, you really should check out the rest of The Hunter! Some really strong shit on there.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

joeypants wrote:I obtained a copy from a source. ;)
Unless are holding the cd/vinyl in your hand, how is that not a "leak"?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That's just a case of Sim Antics.

Ki77aan :twisted:
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

pt IV

[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

hellboy wrote:
joeypants wrote:I obtained a copy from a source. ;)
Unless are holding the cd/vinyl in your hand, how is that not a "leak"?
Well it is, I suppose, just a different kind. Someone who is supposed to have it gave it to me*, who isn't "supposed" to have it. So if you really want to go allllllll the way down the moral quandry-hole, yes, you got me. Mastodon didn't personally send me my own copy of it pre-release.

But the reason I had it is because I won't ever put it online. I don't get hooked up that often, but occasionally I can. :) It wasn't that long before the online leak though, so go figure.

*edit: I should also mention, for the few that might assume so, that it wasn't anyone in any band. ;)
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Anxious to hear what Moggy thinks. I'm glad I persevered at the forum long enough to actually anticipate hearing that cranky fucker's thoughts! Haha.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:Anxious to hear what Moggy thinks. I'm glad I persevered at the forum long enough to actually anticipate hearing that cranky fucker's thoughts! Haha.
Fucking love the album! Way better than The Hunter. Production is solid. Love the vibe. A bit sludgier, solid riffs, great drumming. Good shit!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Nice!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

My opinion on the album is largely the same as M0g's. I think it's a much better album than The Hunter, especially after repeat listens. It still doesn't quite hold up to their older stuff though, but is a good album. Would probably give it a 7 or 8 outta 10.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I'll listen to a pirated copy at some point, I suppose ... but I'm in no hurry ... essentially bored with this band with no realistic reason I can find to entice myself to go back to them
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

petemasterpete wrote:I'll listen to a pirated copy at some point, I suppose ... but I'm in no hurry ... essentially bored with this band with no realistic reason I can find to entice myself to go back to them
Outside of Leviathan nothing this band has done has impressed me either.

But I think Leviathan is so bad ass that I'll keep giving them a shot. I have a rhapsody account anyway so what the hay, I'm hearing it tonight.
Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:Outside of Leviathan nothing this band has done has impressed me either.
I like the majority of remission and blood mountain, but after that they lost me ... crack the skye is waaaay over-rated in my book and again, I'm inclined to bore the forum with my take on 'the hunter', which is that it's more boring than my continued posts stating so ... I'm not impressed with either of the tracks they released ahead of this record either, so ...
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heard it, it's ok. The last two or three songs are pretty neat and the drumming is pretty good all the way through. Overall it's ok, I enjoyed it much more than their non Leviathan stuff but that's not really saying much. I'll give it another listen before I delete it off my rhapsody list.

Just my opinion don't bite my head off.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:Just my opinion don't bite my head off.
Yeah. That's MY job.
Don't mow your lawn
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

petemasterpete wrote:I'll listen to a pirated copy at some point, I suppose ... but I'm in no hurry ... essentially bored with this band with no realistic reason I can find to entice myself to go back to them
do a quick sample first. first track, last track. that's what I usually do. in this case those are probably the two best songs on the album.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Chimes at Midnight slapped me upside the head at first listen and has been my favorite track thus far
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

At this point, I am totally loving everything other than Once More Round The Sun, The Motherload, and Halloween. I keep trying, don't think I'm going to warm to those much. I don't hate them, but I skip them frequently. The rest of the album is the tits though, and is a similar vein to The Hunter, which I also love as a collection of somewhat random "tracks" as opposed to a cohesive album. Although this one feels far more cohesive overall than The Hunter to me.

Chimes At Midnight and Asleep In The Deep slay me.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

"Aunt Lisa" owns.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Indeed. I've warmed to the gang-vocals.