Random Tool Social Media thread

The Main Event
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
I agree with you for the most part about Keenan using Tool as income for his real passion. But i have to disagree with the comment of him never wanting to release a new record. I think he wants to release a new record almost as much as Danny wants to. Albeit mainly for an increased income, possibly, but i do think MJK would like to continue making music on whatever front it might be; if Tool is next in line i dont think he has issue writing new 'Tool' material.

Not to mention the contractual obligation haha
*shrug* you could be right, i'm just a cynical old fuck that doesn't like Maynard.
The most intelligent person on this forum
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I think he still "does it" for the art, while also not being a dim-bulb and taking full advantage of the financial realities involved. Nothing wrong with that in my book, and you only have to look at, well... just about every other very successful band/artist to see why there's something different about the way "Maynard and crew" do things.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

just as a side note... and somewhat positive in my mind...

I was/am worried about the new albums lyrical content not living up to what ive grown to expect from Tool... maybe because Lateralus still blows my mind. But i kind of forgot that he released Mer de noms before laterlaus.. Two very different genres and lyrical styles, yet he pulled it off. And gave us one of the best CDs of all time (opinion) immediately AFTER the APC release, which was good dont get me wrong, but different. Gives me hope that he still has something left in the 'Tool tank' after all the Puscifer releases since 10k.

I have a positive outlook on Tool right now... but that could be because im currently listening to Parabola on youtube
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Anyone know the "other" things he invented? Other instruments we may hear on a Tool album possibly?
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Our drummer finally got a couple of those and I can verify that they are very awesome. Super awesome.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I've considered getting one someday. Looks really nice and seems very useful. Is it worth it though?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Image

Anyone know the "other" things he invented? Other instruments we may hear on a Tool album possibly?
I don't know. I'm not sure he's an inventor as such, but he has certainly innovated a electronic drum gizmos.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ettan wrote:I've considered getting one someday. Looks really nice and seems very useful. Is it worth it though?
Well sadly, as with most musical equipment the answer is: that depends. Haha. It's very useful for us because we (and our drummer) love to incorporate sampled instruments/percussion/etc. But I could be wrong, but I think you need at least a laptop or other sound module to run it, the Mandala pad itself is just a controller. It is hands down the best drum MIDI trigger/pad I have ever laid hands/sticks on though. It has 127 different "regions" on it so you can do all this awesome shit like set, say, a reverb or delay to increase in volume the further towards the rim you play. They react and feel really great. Our drummer got two of them and it's pretty amazing the range of settings/sounds he can wring out of just those two.

Also, if you're playing live set up time is something to consider. They're really intuitive and easy to set up, but anytime you're adding a laptop/electronics into live set up that's going to add time and complications. Having 7 of the fucking things as Danny does is definitely something for proper touring acts that draw and have techs, haha.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

It's like a 10 year old who just learned how to play guitar
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ettan wrote:It's like a 10 year old who just learned how to play guitar
Really? Looks like Adam documenting a new idea to me.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Ettan wrote:It's like a 10 year old who just learned how to play guitar
Hella. Reminds me of when I used to "test out" Gibsons at the local music store when I was fifteen.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Big deal. It's a middle part to a song that already exists. It's Adam jones style. At least he has a guitar in his hands
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

It's sad that we appreciate that he's even holding a guitar, but why? Why would we appreciate an iPhone video showcasing a riff that they've played since 2013. Pathetic in my eyes.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Why shouldn't we care? Because it's not new material? Because it's not filmed professionally?

We care because it's cool to see musicians we like play music.
Don't mow your lawn
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Why shouldn't we care? Because it's not new material? Because it's not filmed professionally?

We care because it's cool to see musicians we like play music.
All of that.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

it is kinda cool to see videos of them playing that arent live in concert. It has that "behind the scenes" feel to it. Like that video a while back of Danny playing that electric drum set in someones living room. Kinda cool haha

[youtube][/youtube]
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

they should just go on Twitter and post a picture of the loft completely empty. and on the dry erase board it should say SIKE!!!!! ....my bad wrong thread.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ettan wrote:It's sad that we appreciate that he's even holding a guitar, but why? Why would we appreciate an iPhone video showcasing a riff that they've played since 2013. Pathetic in my eyes.
How dare they do things other people do.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Guitar in hand is always a good thing
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Carina Round just posted some in studio stuff, but it's tagged with her other band.

So perhaps the studio stuff random Puscifer peeps have posted recently isn't Puscifer related. Or she's already done her part. Or she isn't included. Or I'm bored.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Factsinatening
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:
So perhaps the studio stuff random Puscifer peeps have posted recently isn't Puscifer related. Or she's already done her part. Or she isn't included. Or I'm bored.
My gut feeling is that Maynard still isn't on the same page as the other three in Tool yet, and is unlikely to be so until post-Harvest. On top of that, I expect that Maynard is probably always working on some Puscifer music.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Sounds about right to me. I'm guessing Carina is doing double duty or whatever Puscifer stuff was done is done.
Hey! Denty!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ravenpig wrote:Sounds about right to me. I'm guessing Carina is doing double duty or whatever Puscifer stuff was done is done.
Id like to do double duty on Carina's puscifer.