The Movie Thread

Movies, TV and other video based media
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by not tyson »

A man can't just say fuck society and expel it's trappings while trying to create new laws without consequences.

His name was Robert Fraudson.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:I can't believe you cynical fucks are actually hating on Fight Club.
The misunderstanding of it's theme?

It's not about FUCK SOCIETY YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to Palahniuk (always sp, because he's not worth finding out how to spell his name correctly).

I'll give him this: He found a way to make "SIDDHARTHA" hip and cool for a new generation. And I swallowed it whole.

Don't be the guy who hates cool stuff. "FIGHT CLUB" really had some decent points, and the delivery was gorgeous.

No one likes that guy.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I love him. so, one person does. I've read everything except Tell-All. couldn't finish it. even read his non-fiction stuff.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:I love him. so, one person does. I've read everything except Tell-All. couldn't finish it. even read his non-fiction stuff.
Fair enough.

I want to say that I can see his place, but I just can't, dude. I know that makes me sound pretentious, and I know it. So I will apologise for that.

But I just can't find any redeeming qualities in his writing. It's awful.

Yet again, great ideas. He should be writing movies - which I've been saying since 2001.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I don't get it, Do you guys dislike Fight Club because it's a bad movie, or because some bogans don't "get" the point?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Fight Club was a great movie. Sometimes familiarity (and hindsight) is an unfair lens.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:I don't get it, Do you guys dislike Fight Club because it's a bad movie, or because some bogans don't "get" the point?
I loved it because it was excellent.

Shoot me.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Boss wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:I love him. so, one person does. I've read everything except Tell-All. couldn't finish it. even read his non-fiction stuff.
Fair enough.

I want to say that I can see his place, but I just can't, dude. I know that makes me sound pretentious, and I know it. So I will apologise for that.

But I just can't find any redeeming qualities in his writing. It's awful.

Yet again, great ideas. He should be writing movies - which I've been saying since 2001.
now that's a very good idea. screenplays. never crossed my mind even though two of his books were turned into films. (not being sarcastic either)
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I saw Edge Of Tomorrow this afternoon. Even though it was about replaying a single day countless times it was gripping and never dull. The action scenes were excellent [and this from not a particular fan of too many action sequences - I'm easily bored with them] the dialogue was smart and funny, the concept well executed and coherent. Except for the final scenes. I need to ponder a little on the final outcome.

Tom Cruise is obviously a nutter but I do like many of his films.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

liz wrote:I saw Edge Of Tomorrow this afternoon. Even though it was about replaying a single day countless times it was gripping and never dull. The action scenes were excellent [and this from not a particular fan of too many action sequences - I'm easily bored with them] the dialogue was smart and funny, the concept well executed and coherent. Except for the final scenes. I need to ponder a little on the final outcome.

Tom Cruise is obviously a nutter but I do like many of his films.
how was my girl Emily? she's such a magnificent creature.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Well, to be blunt... not that great.

Usually, she's smoking though.

Any other blunt jokes out there?
Ki77aan :twisted:
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Fight Club is great. Opposing opinions are discarded.

Re-watched The Lego Movie on dvd, and again, everything is awesome.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

The Lego Movie was cute, not anything to write home about. last real good animated movie I watched was definitely "Wreck It Ralph". Despicable Me 2 was somewhat disappointing.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:The Lego Movie was cute, not anything to write home about. last real good animated movie I watched was definitely "Wreck It Ralph". Despicable Me 2 was somewhat disappointing.
Wreck it Ralph was cute, had okay moments. The movie advertised with a lot of iconic game characters but failed to use them. Despicable Me 2 was, indeed, only average.

Looking forward to explosions in Transformers AoE.
And to Jupiter Ascending in 2015...
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

ms2r wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:The Lego Movie was cute, not anything to write home about. last real good animated movie I watched was definitely "Wreck It Ralph". Despicable Me 2 was somewhat disappointing.
Wreck it Ralph was cute, had okay moments. The movie advertised with a lot of iconic game characters but failed to use them. Despicable Me 2 was, indeed, only average.

Looking forward to explosions in Transformers AoE.
And to Jupiter Ascending in 2015...
Yeah Wreck it Ralph was quite good. I took my five year old nephew to it and we both found some laughs.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I cannot process that there is another Transformers movie. I just, I........*shakes head*
The most intelligent person on this forum
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote:I cannot process that there is another Transformers movie. I just, I........*shakes head*
Having been to the cinema a couple of times recently I've seen the trailer on the big screen twice now. I have to say that as mind numbing as I expect the script would be , visually, it would probably be quite entertaining.

Not enough to induce me to see it though.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's like 3 hours long...
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

M0G wrote:I cannot process that there is another Transformers movie. I just, I........*shakes head*
If it didn't turn a profit . . .
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Not Tyson wrote:
exactly... and most likely i will pay to see it. Its a summer action movie thats over the top by Michael Bay.. why the hell not haha.. pay way too much for popcorn and candy, and enjoy an afternoon watching explosions hah.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Not Tyson wrote:
Yeah yeah I know I know....still....I am gonna toe the line on this one as I got myself in trouble in this thread before. There certainly are writers and directors out there making relevant movies, but too often they are working within financial restraints. I suppose it is partly a social disconnect on my end. Not saying I am better or worse than anyone. I just simply do not find movies like this entertaining. Maybe the first one, just for the nostalgia and the CGI, but after that, move on, don't keep going back to the well. Suppose it won't change until the well dries up and the consumer demands a different product. Suppose it is a failing in the school system, with so many Art departments getting slashed or losing funding. Kids not being exposed to Art, specifically Film as Art. Dunno. But yes, you are right, if it didn't turn a profit....*ugh*
The most intelligent person on this forum
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I haven't seen a single Transformers movie tbh
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Not Tyson wrote:I haven't seen a single Transformers movie tbh
Neither have I and that's a good thing.

Oh and Tyson...

The Occupants... :)
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Do it. Now. Really. The first one is really good.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

ms2r wrote:
Do it. Now. Really. The first one is really good.
I can't agree that opinion. The only thing they have going for them are the effects. Even as a blockbuster they fail in my opinion. #1 was a 6/10 at best. #2 was awful, and #3 looks so terrible I ain't going to bother.