joeypants
Goderator

Re: Random Tool Social Media thread

Post by joeypants »

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

This blanket looks way better IMO... and its half the price.
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

From bearded clam cums bearded jam
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:
Plus, weren't there only a couple hundred or so? Doesn't that make them way more "collectible" than the Opiate re-issue? (A defense of Opiate that someone had)
It's not the amount of them that makes them collectible. The Opiate re-issue is worth more, and will always be worth more because it's signed. The blankets, which most likely have never been in the same room as Tool, are not. Generally, it's the connection between the band and the merch item that defines it's collectiblity.

If the blankets were $50 or so, then I'd have real problem with them. For me the main issue is the price - $150 for a blanket is absurd. Just because they're made of shirts worth $25 (to us - for them they're likely to have cost under $10) doesn't justify the inflated price.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I'm not talking about the price. I think we unanimously agree that it's ridiculous.

The low number made definitely makes them "collectible". Theres all kinds of crap out there with high value because not many were made/exist anymore.

I completely disagree that the signatures make Opiate more valuable, there's so much stuff out there with "all" of their signatures now. There's nothing special about it besides the packaging (which isn't worth the $150 either in my opinion).

Edit: It would've been different story if Opiate had a bonus unreleased track or two. That would've been something.
Hey! Denty!
Bones
of Arimathea

Post by Bones »

Pretty much any part of the opiate reissue art is cooler, and has more thought behind it than that blanket....imo
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Bones wrote:Pretty much any part of the opiate reissue art is cooler, and has more thought behind it than that blanket....imo
+1
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea I agree but that's not my point. At all.
Hey! Denty!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

My only real point is what an absolutely new bar for lazy the blanket is. I agree with what Hellboy is saying about the price but I mean... that's the kind of thing your girlfriend sews together for you or something. My friend has one made from gig shirts and it's cool. He also didn't pay the band in question $150 for it. AND it looks better than that one, haha.

The Alex Grey blanket I posted is more the level of effort you'd expect to see from an "art first" band like Tool who's previously been known and respected for the level of care they bring to these things. Yes, merch is typically held to different standards.

Do I "care?" No. I'm in this for music and concerts mostly. They've also sold weird/chintzy shit in the past (keychains?).
McNadd33
Bronco's Fan

Post by McNadd33 »

that alex grey blanket looks really amazing. next time im at cosm i'ma have to consider an investment. bad timing alex your making tool look even worse haha
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

It's apparent that some people don't require quality products to justify spending 150 dollars on an item from their favorite band. These people like to get fucked in the ass. That's ok with me. All of us as humans aren't built the same way. Some people just like a proper ass fucking, and that's exactly what they are getting. We as a collective of fans don't all need a couple bonus tracks from the Opiate reissue. Some of us would rather have a golden ticket with no explanation on what it is. Some people would rather watch Tool's Anus Descending instead of Jupiter Ascending. This is what makes the Tool fan base so special. And by special, I mean absolutely fucking retarded.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Bill Hilly wrote:Some people just like a proper ass fucking, and that's exactly what they are getting.
That may be, but at the very least, Tool should be including this, gratis, with every order:

Ki77aan :twisted:
Bones
of Arimathea

Post by Bones »

Bill Hilly wrote:It's apparent that some people don't require quality products to justify spending 150 dollars on an item from their favorite band. These people like to get fucked in the ass. That's ok with me. All of us as humans aren't built the same way. Some people just like a proper ass fucking, and that's exactly what they are getting. We as a collective of fans don't all need a couple bonus tracks from the Opiate reissue. Some of us would rather have a golden ticket with no explanation on what it is. Some people would rather watch Tool's Anus Descending instead of Jupiter Ascending. This is what makes the Tool fan base so special. And by special, I mean absolutely fucking retarded.
Now that's funny rite there!!! Lol
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Bill Hilly wrote:It's apparent that some people don't require quality products to justify spending 150 dollars on an item from their favorite band. These people like to get fucked in the ass. That's ok with me. All of us as humans aren't built the same way. Some people just like a proper ass fucking, and that's exactly what they are getting. We as a collective of fans don't all need a couple bonus tracks from the Opiate reissue. Some of us would rather have a golden ticket with no explanation on what it is. Some people would rather watch Tool's Anus Descending instead of Jupiter Ascending. This is what makes the Tool fan base so special. And by special, I mean absolutely fucking retarded.
Ya know bill, at first we didn't see eye to eye. But as of late, I've been agreeing with you 100%.

This post made me 'lol' for real
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

You're alright Z. Sorry for being such an a-hole a year ago.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^
Ki77aan :twisted:
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

I think Kittaan was the most curious on why I was being such a dickhead to Z. I don't really have an explanation for it other than this place being much more negative a while back. To piggyback off of what NYHC said a couple weeks ago; this site is great now that a few have left. The core group of people that post on here are awesome. For the most part, we are all here for the same reason. We love this band even though they are pissing the majority of us the fuck off. The first time I saw Tool live was almost 20 years ago. I just want this band to man the fuck up and do what I know they are capable of doing. THIS is what makes me disappointed.

I am not just talking about their capability to write a great album either.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I agree. I was a dick to you and I dunno why. Dick measuring contest I guess. Def better around here since those select few have left. You're a good guy. I check this site daily for a way to chat about random events and to check for my favorite bands updates... or lack there of
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

go taff!
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

What did the blanket say when it fell off the bed?

Oh sheet.
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

A priest and a nun are on their way back from the seminary when their car breaks down.
The garage doesn't open until morning so they have to spend the night in a B&B. It only has one room available.
The priest says: "Sister, I don't think the Lord would object if we spend the night sharing this one room. I'll sleep on the sofa and you have the bed."
"I think that would be fine," agrees the nun. They prepare for bed, say some prayers and settle down to sleep.
Ten minutes pass, and the nun says: "Father, I'm very cold."
"OK," says the priest, "I'll get a Blanket from the cupboard."
Another ten minutes pass and the nun says again: "Father, I'm still terribly cold."
The priest says: "Don't worry, I'll get up and fetch you another Blanket."
Another ten minutes pass, then the nun murmurs softly: "Father I'm still very cold. I don't think the Lord would mind if we acted as man and wife just for a night."
"You're right," says the priest. "Get your own Blankets."
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I agree. I was a dick to you and I dunno why. Dick measuring contest I guess. Def better around here since those select few have left. You're a good guy. I check this site daily for a way to chat about random events and to check for my favorite bands updates... or lack there of

Do we need to start a bromance thread for you to? It wouldn't be the first time in this group. ;)
lo7us

Post by lo7us »

badkittygothgirl wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:I agree. I was a dick to you and I dunno why. Dick measuring contest I guess. Def better around here since those select few have left. You're a good guy. I check this site daily for a way to chat about random events and to check for my favorite bands updates... or lack there of

Do we need to start a bromance thread for you to? It wouldn't be the first time in this group. ;)
Small internet, big world.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Well....I suppose we've got to discuss something while we wait for this new album malarkey.....

:roll:
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

TOOL NEWSLETTER
FEBRUARY 2015 E.V.
This month we learned that the members of Tool crossed paths with the members of Motorhead in a recording studio in L.A., and that Danny (along with Brent Hinds) is part of a new band called "Legend of the Seagullmen." With splash headlines like "Members Of Tool And Mastodon Join Forces To Create "Supergroup"... and "Motorhead's Mikkey Dee Confirms Tool Are In The Studio" appearing on many of the on-line metal magazine sites, it's perhaps understandable as to why many anxious fans jumped to certain conclusions. In the event that I failed to clear things up in a recent news post, for those who might still be excited or confused (or angry), let me try again to set things straight (without the multiple choices)...

As for the nautical-themed "Seagullmen", this Danny SIDE project has been in the works for quite some time (well over a year), and takes approximately ZERO time and energy from his focus on the next Tool record. With regards to the chance meeting between members of Tool and their friends in Motorhead in the same recording facility - this had absolutely nothing to do with the preparation, recording, mixing or mastering! of a new Tool album. Instead, it concerned another Tool project that has been in the works for a while. In fact, when I first heard about this project (way back when), I mentioned it in a news post as being a "curve ball" - meaning that it would be something unexpected by most Tool fans (as it was to me). Since then, some fans have guessed what this is, while others remain clueless, with many others believing that there really never was any such idiom to begin with. Well, with the chance meeting of Tool and Motorhead in the studio, along with Adam's reply to Mikkey Dee's question as to what Tool was doing there, we now have confirmation of this (figuratively speaking) "curve ball." (In keeping with the baseball vernacular, as I suggested before, "Change of Pace" might also work).

Which takes us to the big question: What's going on with the new Tool record? As I have said repeatedly, the band is currently in the writing/arranging process. Based on things that I've heard, I would hazard a guess that SEVERAL songs are now developed enough to have vocals added. At least one of these songs is quite lengthy, and took a very long time to finish. In theory, the others should go faster, but who knows what obstacles might await? Obviously there is still a lot of work to be done. Accordingly, you will be updated on any major progress and NOT hear about the band tracking the next record by some chance meeting in a recording studio.

Now that these other things have (hopefully) been put to rest, let's see about any current news. The first item would be that the members of the band will be taking a break from their writing/arranging sessions next week WHILE Aaron Harris ("ISIS", PALMS") sets up an area in the Loft for Maynard to be able to work on vocal melodies as the others play (loudly) their completed tunes. In that there is a lot of equipment to be moved and reorganized, it will take at least a few days to set up Maynard's 'station' in the adjoining room. Admittedly, this is exciting news, but let's not jump to any hasty conclusions...

Finally, before leaving the "City of Angeles" for a few days, Danny will be getting together (again) with Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland and others TONIGHT - so be on the lookout for another youtube clip of these friends jamming and having a downright good time! Hopefully, Danny saved some energy after last night's Kings/Redwings hockey game, not to mention the recent Lakers/Celtics match up at Staples...

Oh, I almost forgot. For those non-Thelemites out there who asked why the recent limited edition TOOL BLANKET (SOLD OUT) was priced at $156.00, the answer is that 156 = BABALON, the Sacred Whore and companion of the Great Beast 666 (To Mega Therion). So, there you go...

HAPPY TRAILS