Tool Stuff on eBay

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Tool Stuff on eBay

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:discouraging the band from releasing official stuff.
Your tactic isn't working! Buy more bootleg stuff!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Bootlegs are ok. We all have bootlegs in our possession. The NOLA recording or the Charlotte IEM recording are bootlegs. The colored Ænima vinyls are counterfeit. BIG difference. I know, I know...semantics. It just pisses me off to see TooL fans who just don't know any better get nothing more than an MP3.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

badkittygothgirl wrote:Bootlegs are ok. We all have bootlegs in our possession. The NOLA recording or the Charlotte IEM recording are bootlegs.
I said BUY. I will never put money in the hands of somebody trying to take it away from the band. That's utter bullshit. Anybody SELLING a bootleg, whether it's a counterfeit Vinyl or a live CD, same difference.

I have tons of bootleg recordings, made by fans for fans, with no money ever exchanging hands. And let's be clear: Tool has done nothing to remove these hundreds of recordings from the various torrent and sharing sites (many bands make it their business to do this - Maynard with Puscifer for example). The Tool Drive project would not exist if it weren't for this.
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

If a guy makes a great bootleg out of a show, the fact he went out of this way to make said bootleg, then he has every right to make a profit.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not Tyson wrote:If a guy makes a great bootleg out of a show, the fact he went out of this way to make said bootleg, then he has every right to make a profit.
First of all, we disagree on that. Completely. But more importantly: I doubt you can find even one example of a taper, especially of a Tool show, who sold his own recording. These sleezebags take somebody else's effort and sell that, despite the stated wishes of the original taper. There are literally hundreds of bootleg Tool shows out there and nearly every one I've seen comes with something similar to this in the accompanying text:
*** DO NOT DISTRIBUTE IN LOSSY FORMATS. DO NOT SELL THIS RECORDING, TRADE IT FREELY ***
I think the main reason Tool (and other bands) don't actively go after their tapers is that the majority are not seeking to make a profit at it. Again, supporting the sale of bootlegs will eventually lead to them drying up for all.

I know for a fact there have been more than a few tapers posting here on Fourtheye. If any of you are lurking, please chime in on this topic.
nameloc
Bronco's Fan

Post by nameloc »

Kittaan wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:If a guy makes a great bootleg out of a show, the fact he went out of this way to make said bootleg, then he has every right to make a profit.
First of all, we disagree on that. Completely. But more importantly: I doubt you can find even one example of a taper, especially of a Tool show, who sold his own recording. These sleezebags take somebody else's effort and sell that, despite the stated wishes of the original taper. There are literally hundreds of bootleg Tool shows out there and nearly every one I've seen comes with something similar to this in the accompanying text:

*** DO NOT DISTRIBUTE IN LOSSY FORMATS. DO NOT SELL THIS RECORDING, TRADE IT FREELY ***
I think the main reason Tool (and other bands) don't actively go after their tapers is that the majority are not seeking to make a profit at it. Again, supporting the sale of bootlegs will eventually lead to them drying up for all.

I know for a fact there have been more than a few tapers posting here on Fourtheye. If any of you are lurking, please chime in on this topic.
I can't think of anyone that I know (who has taped TOOL personally) selling their recordings (on a mass scale/Ebay..ect).. I'm sure its happened before.. but it is not common -at all-. Most "bootlegs" ( the ones that are being sold) today are just recordings that are downloaded online..someone makes some cheap artwork..and they throw them up on EBay. Most "tapers" take their hobby way too seriously to even get involved with that kind of thing..they are doing it as an act of "preserving" the music, not making money.
I believe the band, as do most professional musicians, only are concerned with "bootlegs" (live recordings) when they are being sold or when their record company/contract prohibits them from allowing people to record them ("open taping")..or if they play like shit during live shows and they don't want it known. Fans trading tapes openly,for free does no harm to anyone. In fact..its nothing but "free promotion" for the band. Anyone who goes out of their way to get a live recording of a show was probably at that show or is "collector" (on some level) to the point that they likely have quite a bit (or even all) of the commercially available material already. A thought I've always had also is.. the more people are pressed not to do something (tape live shows) chances are good the more they will do it.. the biggest bands in the world usually are "against it".. however they (alot of times) end up being the most documented..again.. good free promotion.

Anyhow.. don't buy bootlegs. There is no reason for it.
Last edited by nameloc on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

nameloc wrote:Anyhow.. don't buy bootlegs. There is no reason for it.
Thanks for your thoughts on the topic, and again sorry you got on the Spammage list. I moved you out.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

http://www.youtube.com/user/Captainkirk4269

If you're rich, you could buy his bootlegs for only $100 a piece! Yes, that is in fact his price.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Professor of Lesbian Science
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

basejumper wrote:..

Tool Sweat-shirt

Out of their fucking minds ... 300 bills? I wouldn't pay 300 for the virgin Mary's prewarn merkin ... These guys ... Whoever pays for this is a certifiable mental delinquent
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I dig the artwork. I've never seen this before - anyone certify that it is an actual Tool design?
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I have not seen this one before either. It looks like it might be Ramiro Rodriguez. Either way, 3 bills is way too much for a sweat shirt. Let me do some digging and see what I can find.

EDIT: Well, that did not take long. This might be legit, but still too expensive. http://ramirorodriguez.com/artwork/2477408_Fire.html

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks Kat. Price aside, looks like a good item - the Turn Off Your TV shirt done by Ramiro is the favorite Tool shirt in my closet.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote:I dig the artwork. I've never seen this before - anyone certify that it is an actual Tool design?
From the auction...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, I saw that but those words don't necessarily mean jack shit if the item isn't legit.
blksun
Maynard Believer

Post by blksun »

I have most of my Tool 'stuff' collection up on ebay, except BMB + Danny signed copy of self published book and Salival DVD.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1275584698

Bid is for Aenima LP, bunch of magazines with Tool (mostly from 2006), Tool army membership stuff, stickers, keychain, sober CD...

take a look!
thx
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Justin's "Unbridle" posted for sale today.

Conveniently numbered #69/200.

Would be nice to have more pictures, or at least a picture that zooms on the listing.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I know NxRM was interested in getting one, hope he checks in before it's gone.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Someone selling all their stuff from the VIP goodie bag

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Poster-Aut ... 3f31edbc63

includes pic of Adam from the Q and A
This auction includes:
• One (1) 2014 TOOL VIP Tour POSTER SIGNED BY ADAM JONES in gold marker
• One (1) 2014 TOOL VIP Tour BAG
• One (1) 2014 TOOL VIP Tour HAT (size L/XL)
• Two (2) 2014 TOOL VIP Tour iPhone 4 or 4S phone cases
• Two (2) 2014 TOOL VIP Tour T-SHIRTS (one (1) medium & one (1) large)
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

Looks like Monday brought out all the peeps who want to sell their 2014 prints:

Portland people are obviously not impressed with the print, or need the cash for some different kind of green...

Reno, NV $125
Eugene, OR $100 - with newspaper ad
Portland, OR $125
Eugene, OR $125
Portland $200
Portland $105

Signed:
Portland, OR $232
Portland, OR $270
Portland, OR $405 YIKES - List first, get top dollar...

Others of note:
Signed London Ontario 2012
Grapes of Bath Signed
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Anyone seen this before? Thoughts on legitimacy.

DC cymbal

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've never seen it before. The signed drumhead is pretty loose evidence of "proof".
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

basejumper wrote:Anyone seen this before? Thoughts on legitimacy.

DC cymbal

Well at a bare minimum it appears that it is/was a Paiste signature series cymbal.
Old website that talks about Paiste signature series writing under bell. Use CTRL-F and search for USA patent number 4.809.581

DC plays Paiste cymbals so that is a good sign.

I have also heard of people getting cymbals from DC at drum clinics (think door prize drawings).

The realists view of what it is:
(1) Basically a cymbal with cut corners
(2) No DC signature
(3) No documentation/picture proof it came from DC

For $350 I think it is not "worth it"
You can easily buy an edge cracked Paiste signature series cymbal for cheap.
Then take that to a metal working shop and have them put it on a metal "brake" to cut off the cracked edges and viola! a "DC authentic cymbal".

In the end if it interests you, send the buyer an email asking for more of a back story. Use your BS meter skills.

Also ask about the "collection of Live Tool concerts"

If they are giving you a copy of the Tool drive or a subset of it, I would say OK seems a little more legit.
If they are trying to indirectly sell copies of concerts off of the Tool drive I would be wary as anyone trying to profit (directly or indirectly) off of bootlegs as this should throw up red flags when considering authenticity.

I have cash for this, but I am not going to bid for the reasons listed above.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Not sure what all the fuss is about the SF 2010 poster but here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Poster-San ... 4d1a220406
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ