My Tool Top 10

The Main Event
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Re: My Tool Top 10

Post by Ettan »

I agree with tyson, nice avatar by the way. Adam is way up in the mix and the drums sounds like shit compared to Lateralus. One thing that also irritates me is the noise you hear "behind" the songs. You can hear it really well on the beginning of The Pot. I dunno if they made this with purpose, but it sounds really bad
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

children wrote:unlike Lateralus, which is practically flawless.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. And now I understand you're whole argument...

;)
also, Avatar!
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

There are far too many variables to be serious about an argument with this emotional attachment.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

I personally enjoy the mix of 10,000 days and appreciate that it is different than Lateralus/Aenima. I admit that part of that is my love for the band and I've kind of let them lead me by the hand with every record. When it came out I was stoked and thought it was brilliant just like I did with the others. I personally feel that they include the bits of clipping and static texture with purpose, but who really knows? If they spend so much time and are tedious about every little thing I would venture to guess they wouldn't put out something that didn't sound the way they intended it to. To chide somebody for their opinion is pretty _ahem_ middle school behavior. Tool hates most of their fans. I wonder why?
choose to spiral out... or shut the fuck up
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

markuspoop wrote:
hellboy wrote:Saw that on reddit the other day. Â I wouldn't have Vicarious or Parabola on my list, but other than that if it was ok.

If I were to do a top 10 it would be something like:

Aenima

Lateralus

Third Eye

Stinkfist

The Grudge 5. Stinkfist

Pushit 6. Pushit

Rosetta Stoned 7. Eulogy

Schism 8. Hooker with a Penis

Flood 9. Jambi

Eulogy 10. Flood
I like to poop naked.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

inspiration_tactic wrote: I personally feel that they include the bits of clipping and static texture with purpose,
:lol:

come on
inspiration_tactic
Has been

it's a metal band... distortion and feedback are a common part of the show and the albums. it's not a ridiculous notion to assume the band that is anal about every little thing would purposely include static and clipping. im sure there are other examples but NIN does it too.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

It happens during the mastering process, nothing to do with the band.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Oh really, Tyson, like it isn't completely obvious that it occurs during the mastering process? That fact does not change the POSSIBILITY that the band intended for the album to be mastered the way it was to give it a certain sound or feel.
Last edited by children on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
inspiration_tactic
Has been

I personally recall saying to myself, upon my first few listens to 10,000 days, that the band seemed fucking huge on that album. they had an incredibly broad range of tone and timbre. moreso than on past albums. whatever they did, I thought it stood alone and it worked.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Not Tyson wrote:It happens during the mastering process, nothing to do with the band.
to assume the band doesn't work with the producer of the album to achieve a certain sound is ignorant...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

inspiration_tactic wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:It happens during the mastering process, nothing to do with the band.
to assume the band doesn't work with the producer of the album to achieve a certain sound is ignorant...
What the fuck are you talking about?
inspiration_tactic
Has been

I see this is a complicated concept for you to wrap your head around. the mastering... is done... with the producer... and the band... to achieve... a sound... that makes everyone happy. except you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

inspiration_tactic wrote:I see this is a complicated concept for you to wrap your head around. the mastering... is done... with the producer... and the band... to achieve... a sound... that makes everyone happy. except you.
No, it's not.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

right... the band gives joe barressi the recording and they say "do with this what you will, hope it sounds great!" and then they just listen to the cd when it's on the shelves like the rest of us.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Meh, I was wrong, they are all retarded

Once everyone was satisfied with the mixes, they flew to Portland, Maine, to master the project at Bob Ludwig's Gateway Mastering facility. Ludwig used the Pyramix Virtual Studio DAW and a state-of-the-art Sound Performance Laboratory analog console. Ludwig, Barresi and the band listened through 800-pound Eggleston Works Ivy Speakers that are actually seated down to bedrock. Ludwig also used George Massenburg and Manley EQs on the project.

Even though Ludwig has mastered countless projects, he gets excited about Tool albums. “They're a great combination of heaviness and yet huge dynamic range,” he says. “They're one band that came in, and I think Danny said, ‘We don't care if we're the loudest thing on the radio. We just want you to maintain our dynamics.’ You have to really respect that in a band.”

http://mixonline.com/recording/projects ... ools_days/
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

So that means 10,000 Days is like a low fidelity recording, right?
inspiration_tactic
Has been

yeah they're retarded... they sold 500,000 albums in the age of pirating and they're the retards. makes sense. maybe... huh... maybe you... nahhh...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Just face it, Tyson. 10,000 Days sounds EXACTLY like the band intended it to, and your ears are simply too out of range to hear it properly.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

...or is it your brain?
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

...or the possibility that your soul has been severely ravaged by demons and you are too apathetic to feel anything anymore...
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Disaster! While cleaning my desk I threw away my list! Will have to try and remember how my top 4 went...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

children wrote:Just face it, Tyson. 10,000 Days sounds EXACTLY like the band intended it to, and your ears are simply too out of range to hear it properly.
Sure, that's why I said they are all retarded, they probably didn't even give it the car stereo test
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

hellboy wrote:Disaster! While cleaning my desk I threw away my list! Will have to try and remember how my top 4 went...
Are you punishing us, Hellboy?