Tool Recordings/Videos

The Main Event
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Tool Recordings/Videos

Post by xZ1mM3r »

ok so straight off i probably should know about what this is exactly... but i dont. I did some basic searching and it looks like its a site dedicated to collecting Tool live recordings? Not sure exactly. Obviously its a "members only" type of thing. I searched on FE for a bit about it and found a popular topic but HB has it locked up and i didnt wanna read thru 35 pages of comments. So can someone fill me in?
Last edited by xZ1mM3r on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Re: Collective Unconscious?

Post by budsyralli »

distortion?
go taff!
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

The currently locked topic titled "TOOL: The Collective Unconscious" was created to discuss the Tool Army website: Tool Army

The conversations got a bit off topic though.
Last edited by nxrm on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
bigboy55693
Geacon

Post by bigboy55693 »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I did some basic searching and it looks like its a site dedicated to collecting Tool live recordings?
That would be the "Tool Drive Project". Not members only. All you have to have is a spare 500GB (but 1TB preferred) hard drive and pay for shipping to Oklahoma.
Best use of a spare HDD I have done before.
aMAnAPlAnACaNalPaNamA
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

I can help you with some basic facts:

No files are hosted on the site besides mp3 samples.
Members only? Nah, but they do have a forum that you can sign up for. What do you get? Absolutely nothing but a dead forum with one post a month about new recordings. Nothing interesting really.

The site is owned by Galen, the infamous taper who doesn't share anything of his massive collection. I'm talking onstage footage, studio outtakes and a shit ton of Schoeps, CA - 11 types of recordings. Some of them gets released, but that is if someone else have what Galen wants. The latest trade he did was for a Spice Girls bootleg.

There will be some updates to the site; I know it sounds like a broken record but we have some very exciting (and new) things in the works for cu.org. It is a bit difficult seeing as how everyone involved has a career(s), kids, hobbies other than Tool items but believe me it will be worth the wait. REALLY old recordings, really new recordings, really cool recordings and some REALLY cool XXXXX coming soon. Check it.

If you're into Tool boots you should check out Tooldriveproject.net, the site that provides every single recording that is available to the public. Same thing here, no files are hosted on the site, you have to ship your hdd to someone who have the drive already, for example, me. I've helped out a few people so far and i'm willing to do it again. You also get access to the tooldrive torrent site where they do the updates. If a new source poops up, you get it first.

Once you get the tooldrive you get a hub address to the tooldrive hub, there is over 7TB of just Tool, APC, Puscifer or any band you can imagine. Tool taking up most of the bytes but you get the point.

There is a Tooldrive (Audio), Tool video drive, A perfect circle drive (audio, A perfect circle video drive, Puscifer audio and Puscifer video.

If you have something the public doesn't have, you get the address to the hub if you share.
Last edited by Ettan on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

bigboy55693 wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:I did some basic searching and it looks like its a site dedicated to collecting Tool live recordings?
That would be the "Tool Drive Project". Not members only. All you have to have is a spare 500GB (but 1TB preferred) hard drive and pay for shipping to Oklahoma.
Best use of a spare HDD I have done before.
It doesn't have to be just Oklahoma.

http://www.tooldriveproject.net/tree.html
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

so there is a vast amount of Tool recordings, live and studio, that people have complied on hard drives? Ettan you sent in a HD and now you have a shit ton of it? That sounds pretty cool, but i could care less about 150 recordings of Tool in cities i dont really care about. I would like to get some from my home town however. And any video of Tool in studio would be pretty sweet to see. Anything unreleased, music wise?
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Yes. I sent my hdd over to Canada and now its capacity is around 850gb.

Well it was Galen who obtained the sylvia massy studio video so everything is possible, but I doubt it. There's nothing like that on the drive, on the drive there's only audio from concerts.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:Yes. I sent my hdd over to Canada and now its capacity is around 850gb.

Well it was Galen who obtained the sylvia massy studio video so everything is possible, but I doubt it. There's nothing like that on the drive, on the drive there's only audio from concerts.
thats pretty cool. who knew there was a whole community that was so intense when it came to recordings lol. I was trying to find a recording from Eugene OR from 8-05-01, and the Eugene OR show from 3-07-14 and stumbled across cu.org, turns out they only TRADE... so since i dont have shit and i just wanted 1 or 2 shows they said no go.

Out of the 800+ GB you have of tool, what would you say is the coolest part/recording/song/ etc.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

The IEM recordings are pretty special. I've been hoping for some more of that quality.

The Holy Grail of recordings for me would be stems of a studio or live session so you could completely isolate each instrument/vox. I've always loved being able to break shit down and build it back up again. It gives so much insight into how they do what they do. For Tool, wow...
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

xZ1mM3r wrote:
Ettan wrote:Yes. I sent my hdd over to Canada and now its capacity is around 850gb.

thats pretty cool. who knew there was a whole community that was so intense when it came to recordings lol. I was trying to find a recording from Eugene OR from 8-05-01, and the Eugene OR show from 3-07-14 and stumbled across cu.org, turns out they only TRADE... so since i dont have shit and i just wanted 1 or 2 shows they said no go.

Out of the 800+ GB you have of tool, what would you say is the coolest part/recording/song/ etc.
I have 2001.08.05 Eugene if you want it and I know for a fact someone who taped the 2014 Eugene show.

Hard question really, I usually look at what types of mics were used. Schoeps MK4 is probably the only one I recognize, i'm still learning all the names. They even have a quiz on CU were you have to answer what kind of mics were being used at that concert and what date, the date is fairly easy but the mics? haha it's impossible..
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:

I have 2001.08.05 Eugene if you want it and I know for a fact someone who taped the 2014 Eugene show.

Hard question really, I usually look at what types of mics were used. Schoeps MK4 is probably the only one I recognize, i'm still learning all the names. They even have a quiz on CU were you have to answer what kind of mics were being used at that concert and what date, the date is fairly easy but the mics? haha it's impossible..
man i could never pick out what mic was used haha....

i would love that show if you have it man!! that would be awesome! and you know someone with the new eugene recording, or you have it?
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Kittaan wrote:The IEM recordings are pretty special. I've been hoping for some more of that quality.

The Holy Grail of recordings for me would be stems of a studio or live session so you could completely isolate each instrument/vox. I've always loved being able to break shit down and build it back up again. It gives so much insight into how they do what they do. For Tool, wow...
i did a quick search about the IEM recording, something about the in ear things they wear to hear themselves play right? the recorind does sound pretty good, but what makes it so much better than say just a regular recording?
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

I'll upload the show in a sec! I know someone who taped it, he hasn't released it yet though.

I personally don't like iems that much, they sound like paper to me.

Here's what I prefer which is Hi Mini Disc --- Soundprofessionals CMC-8 > Soundprofessionals SPSB-6 (@16Hz) > Sony MZ-RH1 (@ PCM 16bit/44.1khz):

and here's an IEM that sounds really good
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:I'll upload the show in a sec! I know someone who taped it, he hasn't released it yet though.

I personally don't like iems that much, they sound like paper to me.

Here's what I prefer which is Hi Mini Disc --- Soundprofessionals CMC-8 > Soundprofessionals SPSB-6 (@16Hz) > Sony MZ-RH1 (@ PCM 16bit/44.1khz):
that does sound really really good... even the video looks great! im constantly searching youtube for good looking Tool shows, ones with good audio and great video. nothing too shakey or blurry, ones that almost look like a Tool DVD haha
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Listening on the Eugene 2001 recording and i've got to say, this is one of the best ever captures i've ever heard. Audio quality per say may not be the best but jesus fucking christ, what a performance by Tool. The crowd goes nuts, sings along with Maynard and everyone seems to be having the time of their life. Maynard sounds so fucking good on this one as well, it makes me kinda sad listening to the 2014 recordings we've got so far.. You can hear the difference in his voice and it's huuuuuuge.. No feeling anymore, no emotion which you can hear on this one from 2001.

Funny thing as well, the taper is flying high and the security guard takes his joint and lighter but totally misses his recording rig, he bursts out in laughter and can't stop..

I'll send you the link tomorrow in a PM, not sure if hellboy approves bootlegs.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Hahaha..that's funny!
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Ettan wrote:Listening on the Eugene 2001 recording and i've got to say, this is one of the best ever captures i've ever heard. Audio quality per say may not be the best but jesus fucking christ, what a performance by Tool. The crowd goes nuts, sings along with Maynard and everyone seems to be having the time of their life. Maynard sounds so fucking good on this one as well, it makes me kinda sad listening to the 2014 recordings we've got so far.. You can hear the difference in his voice and it's huuuuuuge.. No feeling anymore, no emotion which you can hear on this one from 2001.

Funny thing as well, the taper is flying high and the security guard takes his joint and lighter but totally misses his recording rig, he bursts out in laughter and can't stop..

I'll send you the link tomorrow in a PM, not sure if hellboy approves bootlegs.
HAHA i cant wait man! Thanks a lot for hooking me up!!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Thank you!!!!!!!

EDIT: i replied before i clicked, thought it was gunna be the whole show but thats funny! haha Typical Eugene guy
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Just a sample of him getting busted + Schism!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

As far as video goes, the New Orleans 2010 and Atlanta/Duluth 2012 recordings are two of the best I've seen. Also I was at both, but I would still say that anyway.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Re: Tool Recordings/Videos

Post by xZ1mM3r »

so i was putting some feelers out in other mediums to try an locate of copy of the Eugene show from the current tour. A dude messaged me back and wants to trade recording for recording. Obviously im like sorry bro no can do. But we start chattin and he said he currently has a friend thats following them on every show this tour and is recording every show. He even showed me some pictures of signed posters his buddy was buying and copies of the Setlist that the band was using from the stage. So it seems legit, but anyways, he said his buddy recorded the entire concert in BluRay and is currently making a film of it with menus and chapters and such. Sounds pretty sweet... i asked what he wanted in trade for THAT cause hell that would kick ass... he said he trades video for video, so im outta luck.

dont know how HB or fourtheye in general feels about Tool bootlegs and recordings but i thought id put this out there
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I just hope nobody ever tries to sell that shit.
Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

xZ1mM3r wrote:he said he trades video for video,
That's exactly what pedos do, lol tool fans