Walking out my front door.

liz
Lunchinator

Walking out my front door.

Post by liz »

I( don't care to start a new thread for every little known or no name band I see. This is instead a repository, or chronology, for the music I go to see when others choose to go out to dinner or stay home. I hope to welcome others here.

Twas a very busy weekend. i went to the opening of the new Adelaide Stadium. It is a nice stadium as far as they go but our beautiful oval is gone and really the corporate facilities were less than adequate (baby boomers have standards Tyson). At any rate knowing I had a gig planned for the evening I drank double vodkas and soda in order to maintain my hydration levels.

The gig was at Enigma ( a favorite venue and usually it is only Aussie acts you get there though I did see Mudhoney there a few years back).

Blackwater were first up. An Adelaide band, been around a few years apparently, very reliable lead vocal, although the net recordings don't bear that out. I liked these guys a solid performance to the extent that I'd go and see them again.

http://www.reverbnation.com/blackwateraus

Skyhammer
were next. Took me a little longer to get into these guys but I did. Not the consistency with their material as the first band but a fun set that certainly held my attention.

http://www.reverbnation.com/skyhammer

Dead In A Second followed. They were probably quite proficient but I tuned out. Didn't do it for me.

http://www.reverbnation.com/deadinasecond

Headliners were Jerrico. I have enjoyed this band for a few years now. They have had more lineup changes than many of you have seen TooL. They had with them this time a drummer who I hadn't seen live, and he was terrific, the best yet probably and a very useful new guitarist. The bands sound was great but I hope that they can finally settle down and work with what they have.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
This obviously isn't the line up I saw but lead vocals and bass are the same. I like this song - and the pills do set me free. :)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
liz
Lunchinator

Re: Walking out my front door.

Post by liz »

Last night it was off to the Gov.

I was buggered before I got there so I guess that colored my evening, but seriously the gig the night before for $12 bucks was so much fun. I yawned my way through this night.

I actually quite enjoyed the first band, something dream I think. I know but I can't find the info and they weren't that good.

Second band was a punk trio of some note I gather from my mate. The lead singer who was playing guitar was a bass player in a former band of note I gather (something about bleeding). I didn't like his excessive spittle, it reminded me of one of those slobbery dogs.

The Scientists were too same same for my liking. I have heard some Kim Salmon stuff that has been fabulous but this was not it and although I could appreciate his competence and front man swagger I was not moved. The people watching at this show was excellent though. Lots of old punks and I felt very youthful. :)
Last edited by liz on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

liz wrote:I actually quite enjoyed the first band, something dream I think. I know but I can't find the info and they weren't that good.
You enjoyed them but they weren't that good?

Great reviewing skills!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Not Tyson wrote:
liz wrote:I actually quite enjoyed the first band, something dream I think. I know but I can't find the info and they weren't that good.
You enjoyed them but they weren't that good?

Great reviewing skills!
I enjoyed them for their set but I wouldn't seek them out again.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I'm getting too old for this! Got home at 7am this morning, I'm wiped out, but I am happy to report that Adelaide did step up last night at The Gov to support some of their own in number. Not a sell out but a very respectable crowd.

First up were a local band Burn Collect. The best thing about this band was the vocalists voice. One of those voices that would carry well in a stadium, think Perry Farrell for the the high notes with a bit of Chris Cornell channeling as well. Now I'm not saying by any stretch that he was in that league but I could here the strong influence of those vocalists and the music certainly had that 90's grunge flavour. An enjoyable opener

Tabula Rasa up next. Again locals and ones I have seen quite a few times, never at their own shows but as supports for interstate acts. They are a very young band but with a couple of years under their belts now they are certainly putting out stronger more polished performances. A pretty solid bunch really but the material just isn't strong enough to propel them much further. They have a pretty big local following though so what do i know maybe?

The Algorithm are a two piece from France and England who have been touring Australia since BDO I gather. It's electronic music with drums. Just like at the BDO I enjoyed them for a while and the drummer is a joy to watch for his constant and obvious pleasure for what he is doing. This time with a light show it held me for longer than the BDO experience but there is far too much sameness in the material for me. More drugs would help.

The main event were Twelve Foot Ninja. Just back from a US tour last year they said they had learned a lot and certainly they were very tight and rehearsed. Undeniably their sound brings FNM to mind but that is a plus for me. I was really tired going into the evening but their set lifted me and carried me through till dawn. Fun!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

It seems that Twelve Foot Ninja (see above) impressed on their US tour. They picked up "Best New Talent" at the Golden Gods Revolver awards. Nice to see you Yankies supporting some Aussie product!
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Twas a massive weekend hence why I am getting around to post my review of Saturday evening just now.

The evening started out with AMODERNDEATH and as surprised as I am to hear myself say this, the thing I most enjoyed about this band was the growly vocal. The music was a little repetitious after a while but this guys vocal was really well controlled and I liked his tone. I listened to them on on soundcloud before we went out and I thought that the recording was pretty decent. They sounded very much the same live. A good start.

https://soundcloud.com/amoderndeath

Red Bee are a three piece from the blue mountains. This was my second time seeing them live, and having played their debut album Ictus many times in in the preceding months I was really eager for their set. They are metal, they are hard pub rock and the vocalist Dan has that very Aussie voice. I really like these guys, they made it onto the soundwave bill for Brisbane this year and their star is on the rise I feel.

Their car broke down a few hours from home on the seventeen hour return trip the next day.

Tabula Rasa are the locals gaining quite a following that played next. They played support for Twelve Foot Ninja which I reviewed last time so I won't repeat myself too much. They do have some really good moments and a couple of great songs. They just need more IMO but I'm always quite happy to see them. They keep growing.

Sydonia were the headliners, a band the bloke and I have become mates with over the years and now they are our house guests when ever they come to town. Everyone should have a pet band. :)

They have just released a new album Reality Kicks which has been going quite well, receiving some great reviews and gaining airplay. These guys play music that speaks to me, I liked them from the moment I heard them and live they transport me. They really mix it up and combine elements of many genres. They played a heavier set this time which is how I prefer them live. Dana is an extremely versatile vocalist and they are all really comfortable performers. The banter flows easily and naturally.

They had the crowd sing me happy birthday whilst giving me the sign of the horns. Pretty funny stuff.

liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I am just back from a very fun evening. Took my sister out for a belated birthday treat. A nice dinner a bottle of wine and a night at the theatre. We saw ONE NIGHT OF QUEEN performed by Gary Mullen and the Works. Yes I know: and if I didn't then I do now.

I never got to see Queen back in the day. They played in the mid 80's when I was just newly at Uni and my funds were non existent. I was in Adelaide and they were in Melbourne. I still regret not trying harder. They have just announced an Australian tour this past week as it happens with the American singer fronting but as per usual they are skipping Adelaide so I was still feeling quite pleased that I booked this show.

It was dreadful. LMAO. And I did giggle, as did my sister, at the sheer badness of it and an adoring audience who lapped it up. The singing was woeful but he had the mincing and gyrations down pat. The Brian Mayesque guitarist had flowing curly red locks and I guess that's why he got the gig I can see no other reason.

The topper of the evening was the taxi driver on the way home, who had stood at the door for the last song and seemed relieved when he asked what we thought of the show and we started laughing. He treated us to a CD of a guitarist by the name of Tom Ward who he had seen street performing a few weeks back. It was the best we had heard all night.

Check out those nails.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I went with a couple of mates to Renmark on Saturday night to see Sydonia playing again and the second show in their new album tour for I am Duckeye. It was such a good night and interesting to see how it is for the bands in the country venues. The guys were pretty happy having been given free hotel room and dinner. A much better deal than is usually to be found in the cities.

Sydonia were awesome as usual with an excellent rendition of Crash Here Tonight. There are no copies of that on the net clear enough to play for you.

I am Duckeye are a comedy act as much as a band, there is lots of banter, and physical comedy interspersed with some great heavy hitting sounds. My mate was at the bar after their set show and said to the guy next to him "What did you think about the show? Weren't they just great." The reply "Oh I dunno man, I got here late and all I saw was a bloke with his dick out".

The local band were a nice surprise too. They were called Zelorage. Others there seemed to comment that this band had improved a lot from a couple of years previous. They come and play in Adelaide quite a bit and definitely a band I will go to see again.

liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Yes it's true. The bloke told me he was too tired and Hellboy switched off his phone and refused to take my calls, so I did what the rest of you sad lonely fucks do I went out alone.

I'm glad i did. La dispute were really quite excellent. They are a spoken word band with some really interesting music underneath. I was loving some of the guitar melodies and the drummer was no slouch either. I was actually reminded Hellboy of Shellac in terms of not sometimes understanding why some passages were holding me (quite simple stuff sometimes) and yet they did.

I did think that I might find his voice a bit annoying and repetitive after a while and yet I didn't. Even though I couldn't make out the lyrics (and they are a big part of it when you listen to the albums) I was held in his delivery. It is certainly emo but I like to connect with emotion in songs. Like always I like it when bands rock out and certainly these were the best moments. The set never dwelt on the slower stuff for too long and many songs seemed to have a high point of intense carry you away instrumentals.

They are a very young band and i feel sure they will just get better. One to watch for my money.

liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I do believe I've missed a couple of things here but no one probably gives a toss anyway. Never-the-less I persist.

I saw Bangarra Dance Company recently and their performance of Kinship. They are arguably our premier aboriginal dance company. I did enjoy it . The music was very atmospheric, a modern tribal fusion that I at times found more interesting than the movement. There were highs and lows. Some of it was incredibly moving but it was an uneven performance and the final segment left me yawning.

The Rolling Stones were last weekend. What can I say? I came to play with one of the best tickets in the house prepared to have a fun time and enjoy a fabulous production.

The meal and booze package were first class, french champagne all night from a dedicated bar on the field. We could see the wrinkles.

All that aside they were actually excellent. Not the best production values I have ever seen but these guys rocked it out with great energy and showmanship. Sympathy for the devil was my highlight. I was impressed. Oh and the back up singer Lisa Ficsher was a class act.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ah so that's where NIN got her from! (Lisa Fischer)
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

She's sang with a lot of people.

There's a documentary about her and some other classic back-up singers called Twenty Feet From Stardom that's worth a watch if you're interested.
Don't mow your lawn
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Cheers guys. I hadn't googled her and had no idea she had such a profile. All I can say is that her recognition is deserved.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:She's sang with a lot of people.

There's a documentary about her and some other classic back-up singers called Twenty Feet From Stardom that's worth a watch if you're interested.
AGREED ... IT WAS A GOOD WATCH
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I've seen a few excellent shows in the last few weeks.

Ezekial Ox is the bomb! Wonderful one man show. Just impressive.

Ne Obliviscaris is self described as folk metal and its a good descriptor. My only compliant was that the clean vocals where too high in the mix on the night and were a little incongruous against the rest of the music at times. These guys have presence, wonderful musicianship and a point of difference. Terrific show!

Nick Cave need no accolades from me. I love that man and his mates.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Well I did make it to Mark Lanegan a couple of weekends ago and the bloke got a ticket too so no strip show for us!

The Ding Dong lounge is a great little venue with lots of platforms so viability is excellent. Not that I had to rely on that though. Pete proved himself most adept with his elbows and we found ourselves right at front of stage. I loved the show (I hadn't listened to the new album at that point, but the couple of songs from Blues Funeral were highlights for me). The first singer (I forget the name) was boring but I was happy to chat to Pete during that and meet the lovely Mrs Pete (she is brighter, smarter and much much prettier than Pete :) ).
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Thanks to Hellboy I got to see Truckfighters last night. I have been looking out for them for a couple of years now (ever since Nate first drew my attention to them) and cannot credit how close I got to missing them.

A really enjoyable gig. Not as tight as they could have been at times but I was very impressed with the high energy and unique style of the guitarist, and although I have seen better drummers that bloke was competent and great eye candy. They are the sort of band who should have made an appearance on the Soundwave bill. The crowd was decent but they deserved more.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

liz wrote:Well I did make it to Mark Lanegan a couple of weekends ago and the bloke got a ticket too so no strip show for us!

The Ding Dong lounge is a great little venue with lots of platforms so viability is excellent. Not that I had to rely on that though. Pete proved himself most adept with his elbows and we found ourselves right at front of stage. I loved the show (I hadn't listened to the new album at that point, but the couple of songs from Blues Funeral were highlights for me). The first singer (I forget the name) was boring but I was happy to chat to Pete during that and meet the lovely Mrs Pete (she is brighter, smarter and much much prettier than Pete :) ).
Sorry, Liz, never caught this ... But you're mostly spot on. I've seen his solo show a number of times and not having spent a ton of time with the latest record was a slight setback but I could cream myself to that voice for days straight. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that old crooner cover he did but it was all class. And the obvious add of 100 Days will always win with me. Now, back to the slight error you committed in your review: Mrs. Pete has much bigger tits; they're perfect!

Anyway, a night out with her is always the best and catching up with you lot was alright, too.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I can assure you that the error of omission does not mean that I failed to notice. :)
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

My Australia Day celebration was attending the Midcoast Meltdown. A festival of local talent headlined by the almighty Cosmic Psychos.

About an hour from Adelaide, at a footy club in the southern suburbs, this gig had a dinkum Aussie feel: a super friendly crowd, reasonably priced beverages and an abundance of colourful tattoos!

We arrived early evening and missed the earlier bands but my mates said they had heard some good stuff, notably an all girl band Juliette Siezure & The Tremor Dolls and a band called Sector 3.

We saw half of No Reality who were punkesque and pretty good, followed by Meatbeaters and Perdition. I really enjoyed Meatbeaters, as soon as I heard them singing Purple Helmet I remembered I'd seen them before. These guys are old rockers, very good on their instruments with funny lyrics. Perdition are old rockers too, more punk where Meatbeaters are heavy rock and again the old fellas shone. I had thought for some reason that the other bands would be the youngsters(and maybe the earlier ones were) but it was really cool to see these guys still performing and killing their sets (they are Tools age for reference).

Cosmic Psychos came on early catching us all unaware. They were playing on the outside stage and someone was obviously watching the weather because it rained soon after their set finished!

Everytime I these these guys I am grinning for the whole set. They are joyful and just really fucking good. A better example of Aussie pub rock you will never find. Although Ross Knight is the only original member left, the three man line up currently playing is a tight fabulous unit. They played all my favourites including, She's a Lost Cause, Custom Credit, A Nice Day to go to the Pub (Australia Day's unofficial anthem) and finishing of with the very funny David Lee Roth.

liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Last Friday night, with King Parrot headlining, was like a mini festival night with five bands playing. We'd had a really busy week but I'd read Busty's Mammoth reminder so we were there one song into the first act which was Mammoth. Good call Busty I really enjoyed them and the lead guys voice had a real jazz quality and sound to it which was unexpected.

I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have ;) ) Headbore was the other local band, and like Melbourne's Colossvs playing after them, the songs were sufficiently varied to keep me interested. In fact I really think both were as good/better than King Parrot. I enjoy King Parrot, their on stage send up of themselves is amusing, they are usually tight and their drummer does a terrific job but for me there is a little too much sameness in their material.

High Tension were something new. A very beautiful Asian/Australian girl with some very controlled unusual pipes. Again I found the band behind her a tad repetitive but she was quite mesmerizing.

And then last night was Karnivool playing Themata. It was a excellent show, we got all (I'm fairly sure) of Themata and Simple Boy and New Day thrown in for good measure. The band seemed somehow more into it than I have seen on their last two tours here. Maybe it was just fun for them going back to that first album that we all loved, and remembering the trip that must go with enjoying that sort of reaction with a first album. Andrew Goddard had a huge grin the most of the night asking us how many of us were in bands and that really we should all go join one. Kenny just gets better, an amazing voice that gets more polished and controlled as he ages.

I'm sorry I missed the opening band Knife Fight in Cairo. They were a two piece and I only got to hear two songs but what I did hear I really liked - some psychedelic rock elements to it and a singing drummer playing the keyboard with his spare hand.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I'd like to see King Parrot, but I can't help but feel that they're a bit over rated. Their videos are funny, but their music is just ok. Pity I missed the show, but that's how things go sometimes.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:I'd like to see King Parrot, but I can't help but feel that they're a bit over rated. Their videos are funny, but their music is just ok. Pity I missed the show, but that's how things go sometimes.
I'm pretty sure you would have enjoyed the evening but yes there are certainly bands as good or better than King Parrot who haven't enjoyed the same success. Their videos and the humor they bring to the stage do seems to give them an edge and the cheeky expressions and grins from guitarist Ari White were very funny and endearing on the night. My friend Dave (not the bloke, who is properly addressed as David) was explaining to me that growly metal vocalists should be fierce and a bit frightening. Upon reflection perhaps this is their point of difference. My friend Dave was also responsible for me getting drenched (yet again) when Matt Young (lead singer) spied him checking his phone and after telling him off aimed his very full water bottle straight at us.

Hopefully we will catch up for Mark Of Cain. See you soon.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

liz wrote:I enjoyed all the bands (although I'm not sure Kittaan would have )
Yes, you seem to be quite more forgiving than I Liz.

Very jealous about the Themata front to back show. Would have loved to experience that. I'm not sure the lads will venture out this way too many more times, the way things are going. Glad I got to check them out a few times live.
Ki77aan :twisted: