New Album Touring

The Main Event
User avatar
children
Optomist
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by children » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:16 pm

That is probably the exact set list lol! I hope they play the whole album. I am more excited to hear these songs live in person than I was to hear the studio album. Pneuma live OMG!!
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson

sonnyboy11
Maynard Believer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by sonnyboy11 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).

tompie
Maynard Believer
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by tompie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:26 pm

I think we are getting an undertow song instead of culling voices and another 10k days song instead of tempest

User avatar
tys0n
Stromanalite Puncher
Posts: 2469
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by tys0n » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm

No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Shed523
Has been
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Shed523 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Yup they are definitely playing 7empest maybe even open with it! Fire the crowd up right away. I haven’t been lucky enough to see these tunes but always loved Third Eye and No Quarter as openers.
DON’T YOU DARE POINT THAT AT ME :twisted:

tompie
Maynard Believer
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by tompie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 pm

idk y'all i'm feeling a 10k days kind of situation with tempest, might bust it out eventually but won't be a main stay.

User avatar
Bill Hilly
Droner
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Bill Hilly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Zim, did you end up getting tickets for Denver? I'll be there for Night 2.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy

User avatar
Bill Hilly
Droner
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Bill Hilly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm

tys0n wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm
No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
7his.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy

User avatar
ms2r
Young Liberal
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by ms2r » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Without 7empest you well probably see 46&2 plus Vicarious in the setlist.

bob
Fornicraster
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by bob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm

if you think they wont be playing Tempest each show i say b.s on that! they better. f that if they dont. vicarous is maah so please dont play that. i can handle some of the other staples. schism im sick of to but big arena bands always play bigger hits.

User avatar
ms2r
Young Liberal
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by ms2r » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Plus Schism extended is always a nice thing.

bob
Fornicraster
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by bob » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:04 am

ms2r wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:41 pm
Plus Schism extended is always a nice thing.
thats the only part i dont mind hearing anymore :P

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Boldizar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:24 am

Adam basically said they were doing Tempest on the Jericho podcast. Why wound you want Tempest as an opener? That kills the feel of the track. Same goes for Third Eye openings.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
tys0n
Stromanalite Puncher
Posts: 2469
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by tys0n » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 am

Mid set with a guest vocalist
Canned audience laughter

User avatar
Specter
Excrementor
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Specter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:52 am

Bill Hilly wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm
tys0n wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm
No way they are no playing 7empest each show.
7his.
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Boldizar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 am

tys0n wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:49 am
Mid set with a guest vocalist
PTSD flashbacks to that horrible version of Reflection.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
limeygringo
RIP
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by limeygringo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:55 am

Funny what Maynard said about them playing full albums live on JRE, that Tool albums were never intended to be played in sequence. But with this album you really do get that vibe. Guess we'll find out in October.
Ahhh, Infotainment!

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Boldizar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am

This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

User avatar
Kittaan
Creeper
Posts: 4676
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am
Location: , Location, Location!

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Kittaan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 am

Boldizar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am
This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
I can’t be bothered going back to check, but seems like you’ve evolved quite a bit from your first impressions of FI?

For myself, I remember digging most songs from the first spin, but having a little trouble processing it all. So much hype was built over 13 years... after that first ride hearing it twice through, I was hooked. Hundreds of listens later and it still draws me in, uncovering layers like a prog-metal onion. Haven’t really touched any older albums since the FI single dropped and I beat that dead horse for weeks.

Starting today I’m going to take a page from some others who went straight through the catalog from the beginning. Give FI a break and listen to the old shit with new ears. Palate cleanser. Also, quite interested to hear these subtle remastering changes people have been mentioning.

Very interested to see how that might change my take on Fear Inoculum when it comes around in that cycle.
Ki77aan :twisted:

GabesCaves
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:31 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by GabesCaves » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm

sonnyboy11 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm
Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).
Didnt they go a long time not playing anything on Undertow? They only started playing from it again only the last year or so?

sonnyboy11
Maynard Believer
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by sonnyboy11 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm

GabesCaves wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm
sonnyboy11 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm
Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).
Didnt they go a long time not playing anything on Undertow? They only started playing from it again only the last year or so?
Sober was in the set list quite a bit around 2006/early 10k Days. Then Flood was a mainstay starting around 2007. Intolerance came in some time around 2010 I believe. You are right that not every set has an Undertow song in it. But many do. And recently it's a regular occurrence.

User avatar
Bill Hilly
Droner
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Bill Hilly » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:59 pm

No. They played Intolerance, Sober, Swamp Song, and Flood at different periods during and after the 2006 tour.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy

User avatar
Boldizar
Green Herbsman
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:15 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by Boldizar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 am

Kittaan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 am
Boldizar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am
This is definitely the most cohesive album they've done.
I can’t be bothered going back to check, but seems like you’ve evolved quite a bit from your first impressions of FI?
I approach things generally with my smock and goggles on, ready for the shit most things tend to be. When things turn out to be not shit it is even better. I approached Descending and Invincible the same way and with those I was only thinking, "um....?" for the first 6 hours the bootlegs existed or something. I have loved those songs since. That worried me because it wasn't that they were just good, but they were great and that was a high bar to ride to uncertainty.

When Fear Inoculum was released I wasn't impressed. However, most of the issues I had came from the streaming version quality. Once I got the mp3 and flac it was much, much better. I also recalled that Danny had different hi hats on his recording kit, which is why they sound thinner and darker (Personally I still hate this because to me that perfect hi hat sound are the Paiste signatures he's always used--even the Dark whatever Paiste's he used on the Volto! album were good--but it is whatever).

Once the leak came out I was listening non-stop (still haven't stopped). I guess my initial reactions were just flat, which is good. I had some minor things, like laughing at the Descending solo harmony because it sounds like Iron Maiden/Metallica tone, but that is all trivial stuff. I mostly just liked it more and more as the week went on.

The cohesive element that brought the whole album together was getting the full CD release on the 30th. I know people discount physical packaging, but this case was probably the best and most relevant CD package any one has ever made. There is a solid tonal statement the art collected and presented is making. The video/audio is thematically related to the idea of the album and is a purposeful lead-in to the music.

My bar was I was looking for something better than 10,000 Days (which I really don't care for in any personal way--the one Tool album that is completely forgettable) and over and over this album kept doing similar things, better things, and not messing up the way Days did, musically and in presentation. This went above and beyond my expectations and nestled right next to Lateralus as something different, but just as powerful.

Overall, I am really happy with my exposure to this album over its release period and it would not have been the same had I just waited until release day.
Dan Brown's Fear Inoculum: Best novel ever written, inspiring, worth the wait, not enough yelling, every page reads like the DaVinci Code... 3/10

GabesCaves
Bronco's Fan
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:31 am

Re: New Album Touring

Post by GabesCaves » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:40 am

sonnyboy11 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm
GabesCaves wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm
sonnyboy11 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 pm
Tool has been pretty good in the past about playing at least one song from every full length record during their set. I see a lot of speculative setlists that don't take that into account. I believe at least one of these songs from each of their earlier albums each will be played - Intolerance/Sober, Ænema/Stinkfist, Parabola/Schism, Jambi/The Pot/Vicarious.

For the Fear Inoculum songs, I think initially it will be the title track/Descending/Invincible and possibly Pnuema. I'd love to see 7empest in there, but don't think it will be ready yet for live performance. Hope I am wrong. Also, I'd love Right In Two off 10k Days instead of the two I listed, but that is very unlikely (but not as unlikely as Jimmy, Wings/10k or Prison Sex).
Didnt they go a long time not playing anything on Undertow? They only started playing from it again only the last year or so?
Sober was in the set list quite a bit around 2006/early 10k Days. Then Flood was a mainstay starting around 2007. Intolerance came in some time around 2010 I believe. You are right that not every set has an Undertow song in it. But many do. And recently it's a regular occurrence.

I got curious so I checked their tour stats on setlist.fm, not perfect but maybe a fair representation.

Undertow and 10000 Days are just about tied for 3rd place, at about 1560 times a song from each has been performed. Considering how much longer Undertow has been out, that's pretty interesting.

Songs from Undertow haven't been played too much recently until 2019.

Sober- Most often song performed from Undertow. Before this year it was played at the 2 festivals in 2018 (not looking at the non Maynard instrumental shows) and then 5 times in 2014. It was completely skipped 2017 and 2016.

Next most often is Prison Sex, but not played since 2001

Flood not played since 2011

Intolerance- before 2019, not since 2011.

Swamp Song- 2007

Undertow and 4 degrees - 2002

Bottom and Crawl Away - 1998

Glad I drove all the way to Poughkeepsie in 1997 to see Crawl Away, worth it!

User avatar
tys0n
Stromanalite Puncher
Posts: 2469
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: New Album Touring

Post by tys0n » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Bring back 4 Degrees!
Canned audience laughter

Post Reply