Deftones

Music in all its forms and styles
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: Deftones

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

New track is nice. Very nice. Deftones keep getting better with age. They consistently put out fantastic albums. They treat their fans with respect. No smoke and mirror bullshit. Can you imagine Chino trying to suck 500 bucks out of his fans for a "VIP" session and then put parameters and regulations on the kinds of questions that can be asked? Shit wouldn't happen in a million years. Chino and company are better than that. They act like a bunch of professional musicians who take their craft seriously and appreciate everyone that has helped them get where they are. Nothing but respect for the Tones. Album already pre-ordered.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:New track is nice. Very nice. Deftones keep getting better with age. They consistently put out fantastic albums. They treat their fans with respect. No smoke and mirror bullshit. Can you imagine Chino trying to suck 500 bucks out of his fans for a "VIP" session and then put parameters and regulations on the kinds of questions that can be asked? Shit wouldn't happen in a million years. Chino and company are better than that. They act like a bunch of professional musicians who take their craft seriously and appreciate everyone that has helped them get where they are. Nothing but respect for the Tones. Album already pre-ordered.
PREACH BROTHER MOG!!! PREACH!!!!
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:New track is nice. Very nice. Deftones keep getting better with age. They consistently put out fantastic albums. They treat their fans with respect. No smoke and mirror bullshit. Can you imagine Chino trying to suck 500 bucks out of his fans for a "VIP" session and then put parameters and regulations on the kinds of questions that can be asked? Shit wouldn't happen in a million years. Chino and company are better than that. They act like a bunch of professional musicians who take their craft seriously and appreciate everyone that has helped them get where they are. Nothing but respect for the Tones. Album already pre-ordered.
Don't be entirely fooled ... they do still charge for their meet and greets on occasion ... either way ... YAY Deftones!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Can you imagine Chino trying to suck 500 bucks out of his fans for a "VIP" session and then put parameters and regulations on the kinds of questions that can be asked?
No, but neither did Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Digging that new tune. Loved KNY, which is the first Deftones album I liked enough to buy.

Being that they are a local band for me, it's kind of amazing I have yet to see them live after all these years. I will definitely try to check them out next time they make it through the Bay.
Ki77aan :twisted:
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Kittaan wrote:Digging that new tune. Loved KNY, which is the first Deftones album I liked enough to buy.

Being that they are a local band for me, it's kind of amazing I have yet to see them live after all these years. I will definitely try to check them out next time they make it through the Bay.
they're fucking incredible live. every time, every venue. indoors at this stacked old factory, at the mecca MSG, at the beach in soaking rain, they always sound great when I've seen them. great energy too, setlist is always banging too, whether they open, co-headline or are just the main feature. can't wait to see them this year.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:
PREACH BROTHER MOG!!! PREACH!!!!
Right on Brother NY. I have been on a Deftones binge lately getting amped up for GORE. I love how the band has evolved and how each album the production value and mixing gets better and better. Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan just SOUND so fucking good. Chino said GORE has a different vibe, said when he thinks of GORE the color purple comes to mind. I think the album is definitely going to be a bit more experimental, maybe more along the lines of Saturday Night Wrist. He mentioned the tone is less optimistic then the previous two albums. Can't wait to check it out!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Interesting article I cam across today speaking with Stephen about the writing process for the new album, and how he struggled (and seems to imply is still struggling) with the direction it takes:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... ecord.html
So, you were saying earlier that you were having a hard time getting into playing on this new album. Why do you think that was?

When we were coming up with ideas and writing the songs, the stuff that was being written, you know, the other guys' ideas, I wasn't too interested in it. It wasn't the style or the sound I was hoping we would take. It wasn't what I was expecting or wanting.

That says a lot about you seeing yourself as part of a band and going in the direction of the band. Its unselfish.

Yeah I hear ya. My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently.
Good to hear that he's not throwing in the towel though, I expect many bands and band members go through similar problems, so it's nice to see it discussed openly.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Interesting article I cam across today speaking with Stephen about the writing process for the new album, and how he struggled (and seems to imply is still struggling) with the direction it takes:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... ecord.html
So, you were saying earlier that you were having a hard time getting into playing on this new album. Why do you think that was?

When we were coming up with ideas and writing the songs, the stuff that was being written, you know, the other guys' ideas, I wasn't too interested in it. It wasn't the style or the sound I was hoping we would take. It wasn't what I was expecting or wanting.

That says a lot about you seeing yourself as part of a band and going in the direction of the band. Its unselfish.

Yeah I hear ya. My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently.
Good to hear that he's not throwing in the towel though, I expect many bands and band members go through similar problems, so it's nice to see it discussed openly.

"Diamond Eyes" was amazing, "Koi No Yokan" was good (at best). I like the new single off "Gore" but if he wanted to get heavier and they're leaning towards experimenting, I dunno man. I love the evolution of music and all BUT when your amazing guitarist wants to play more like Meshuggah and less like, well who the fuck knows now, you need to cater to everyone involved. boy did my expectations drops for this LP about 50%......fuck.....you have Sergio Vega now on bass so they SHOULD be getting more brutal. Quicksand was definitely fast and hard, along with melodic and sonic. I thought these guys would go that route and if Chino wants to do a Palms type album like he did with ISIS more power to him...but for the Deftones? stick with what you know brother...

"I'm fairly alarmed here"
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The album will be interesting anyway. I didn't think much of the first track, and it's no secret I'm in Stephen's camp when it comes to prefer Deftones being guitar heavy, so I'm not anticipating a positive reaction on my part to the album.

We'll see though!
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Stephen needs to stop being a little bitch. You don't throw your fellow band mates under the bus. Keep that shit to yourself. If he is that bitter over the direction the rest of the guys wanted to take with GORE then he just should have left the fucking band. Don't write it while bitching and moaning about it the entire time and allude to possible issues down the road. Pussy move. Punk move.

Stephen isn't a fucking genius on the 8 string. He can easily be replaced. (Much like Adam "the world's most overrated guitar player" Jones) His obsession with Meshuggah coupled with smoking one too many bowls has clearly fogged his brain. Deftones has always been about the interplay between heavy and ambient/lite. Deftones have released some very metal songs, but I wouldn't even call them a metal band. Prayers/Triangles sounds fucking great and the reviewer even mentioned that he got to listen to GORE and that all fans of Deftones, those that prefer the heavy side and those that prefer the lighter side will be very happy with the new album.

If this ultimately ends up being Deftones last hurrah they have certainly had a far better run that that piece of shit band Tool. GORE will be their 8th full length release in 21 years. Each album has been excellent. Deftones > Tool
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Stephen needs to stop being a little bitch. You don't throw your fellow band mates under the bus. Keep that shit to yourself. If he is that bitter over the direction the rest of the guys wanted to take with GORE then he just should have left the fucking band. Don't write it while bitching and moaning about it the entire time and allude to possible issues down the road. Pussy move. Punk move.

Stephen isn't a fucking genius on the 8 string. He can easily be replaced. (Much like Adam "the world's most overrated guitar player" Jones) His obsession with Meshuggah coupled with smoking one too many bowls has clearly fogged his brain. Deftones has always been about the interplay between heavy and ambient/lite. Deftones have released some very metal songs, but I wouldn't even call them a metal band. Prayers/Triangles sounds fucking great and the reviewer even mentioned that he got to listen to GORE and that all fans of Deftones, those that prefer the heavy side and those that prefer the lighter side will be very happy with the new album.

If this ultimately ends up being Deftones last hurrah they have certainly had a far better run that that piece of shit band Tool. GORE will be their 8th full length release in 21 years. Each album has been excellent. Deftones > Tool
Deftones greater than Tool? ten years ago I might have disagreed adamantly.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote:Stephen needs to stop being a little bitch. You don't throw your fellow band mates under the bus. Keep that shit to yourself. If he is that bitter over the direction the rest of the guys wanted to take with GORE then he just should have left the fucking band. Don't write it while bitching and moaning about it the entire time and allude to possible issues down the road. Pussy move. Punk move.
Sheesh. I read an article about a reasonably humble guy opening up about issues faced while song writing. I guess we must have read different things.

I doubt anyone in the band feeds like he "threw them under a bus". The only people feeling that way I suspect are internet tough guys.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah, he's just being honest. Politely so, as well. These things happen with most bands, he's just being upfront about it. It's interesting to me though because just to my ears, the changes in their sound haven't been all THAT radical since White Pony and he was presumably happy with that and others after?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Deftones have always disagreed on their sound. White Pony came about because Stephen was pissed that Chino wanted to play on it. Chino wrote 'Hole in the Earth' about the conflicts he was having with the band over their sound. Specifically "I hate all of my friends, they all lack taste sometimes".
Don't mow your lawn
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:
Sheesh. I read an article about a reasonably humble guy opening up about issues faced while song writing. I guess we must have read different things.

I doubt anyone in the band feeds like he "threw them under a bus". The only people feeling that way I suspect are internet tough guys.
You don't open up about issues when you are at odds with your band mates over the direction of the album YOU JUST FUCKING FINISHED WRITING THAT IS DUE OUT IN LESS THAN TWO MONTHS. Way to hype the new album Stephen....dumb ass..

Moreover, you do not publicly allude to possible problems going forward. You either work that shit out behind closed doors or keep your mouth shut. Stephen has no problems collecting checks from touring and will have no problem collecting checks from GORE album sales. He is acting like a bitch. Deftones should replace him. He isn't Tosin fucking Abasi. His shit isn't complicated to cover. At least he is in a band that actually can write a record in less than 10 years.

Sorry Stephen you are not a member of Meshuggah, nor could you be as you lack the talent to hang with those guys. Another whiny rich musician. Shut the fuck up and play or go start another band.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

sometimes that conflict and honesty lead to a really great album...Lateralus anyone? so I'm hoping that's what this is all about. but I hear what Mog is saying Uncle Matt. it's really about loyalty and confidence sometimes, at this part of the game with a release looming? just keep your mouth shut until then. you know?
Specter
Pencildick

Post by Specter »

Be Quiet & Drive

and then listen
Dancing on the roof of some cartoon showroom
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

N.Y.H.C. wrote:but I hear what Mog is saying Uncle Matt. it's really about loyalty and confidence sometimes, at this part of the game with a release looming? just keep your mouth shut until then. you know?
Well, let's not pretend for a second that Stephen was unaware of the kind of publicity quotes like that would create...

I don't see what his guitar prowess, or lack of has anything to do with this though.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: You don't open up about issues when you are at odds with your band mates over the direction of the album YOU JUST FUCKING FINISHED WRITING THAT IS DUE OUT IN LESS THAN TWO MONTHS. Way to hype the new album Stephen....dumb ass..
Why not? Doesn't anyone value honesty these days? The stories behind albums, both the positive and negative ones can be crucial in understanding the mood and feel of a recording.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Uh, it's just rock and roll. And I like it.

The guy is just speaking his mind. I see nothing wrong with that.

Any fan of a band that would shine them on because a band member expressed a somewhat negative feeling about the band's current direction, as opposed to just listening and judging the music itself... They are doing it wrong.
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

Horseshit. This is a Marketing 101 level concept. Don't bitch about an album you helped write a month before it is due for release. Shut your mouth, tour, smile and collect your paycheck. Don't drop a turd in the middle of the hype train. Once the album touring cycle is over say or do whatever the fuck you want.

No respect for a rich pussy musician crying because they didn't write another Koi/Diamond type album. Re-read the article. He didn't just cry about the direction of the album, he literally put into question the future of the band going forward. What kind of idiot does that prior to an album release and upcoming tour? Fucking stupid.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote:but I hear what Mog is saying Uncle Matt. it's really about loyalty and confidence sometimes, at this part of the game with a release looming? just keep your mouth shut until then. you know?
Well, let's not pretend for a second that Stephen was unaware of the kind of publicity quotes like that would create...

I don't see what his guitar prowess, or lack of has anything to do with this though.
it doesn't have anything to do with it. not sure where Mog was going with that. I think he's a bad mother fucker on the gee taar.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

THE1TRUEMOG wrote: He didn't just cry about the direction of the album, he literally put into question the future of the band going forward.
We must be reading different articles, that's the only logical conclusion to this argument.

Or maybe you read as much into minutae as a typical Tool fan.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ouch.

And what about integrity?

Moggie, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.