My Tool Top 10

The Main Event
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: My Tool Top 10

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Where's the next one? It's been like 3 months.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

brewdog123 wrote:surly
Did someone mention Maynard?!?
Ki77aan :twisted:
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Where's the next one? It's been like 3 months.
said George Martin to The Beatles.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:Where's the next one? It's been like 3 months.
Been away a few days. Might post then next shortly!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Number 6 is Pushit!
Undoubtedly one of the highlights of Aenima, Pushit is a powerful piece of love gone wrong, and is a popular one with many Tool fans. In fact I imagine quite a few would argue that #6 isn’t high enough! Not to mention the fact that I didn’t choose the Salival version (I do indeed prefer the original).

Musically the song shows almost all of the colours of Tool. It has both some of their heaviest work, and their lightest work in the same track. As is the case with most of Aenima, Maynard’s singing is sublime, especially as we reach the climax of the song.

And the ending. Who could forget that. There is no Tool song that closes as well as Pushit does. The combination of some of Danny’s finest with Maynard bleeding his heart out is an hallmark moment in their catalog.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Good call.

As with most "AENIMA" songs for me, it was a toss-up.

My top ten would be an excruciating cut-up of "LATERALUS" and "AENIMA". If that's all the band leaves us with, so be it.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I've really got to the point where "LATERALUS" and KRISTIN HERSH'S "STRANGE ANGELS" are undoubtedly the best two albums I'll ever hear.

All good with being proven wrong, though.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

10. Intolerance
9. Stinkfist
8. Flood
7. No Quarter
6. Jambi
5. Parabol/Parabola
4. Aenima
3. Forty-Six and 2
2. Lateralus
1. Pushit (salival)

Intolerance jumped into my top ten after seeing that live in St. Paul in 2010; what an amazing live song.
Stinkfist was the first Tool song I ever heard live. I'll never forget the green and purple washing over the crowd and the Maynard choreography. I'll keep digging!
Flood was yet another song that was sort of reimagined for me after seeing it live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Watching the water projected all over the stage was incredible. The live sound of the song was girthy. It made my testicles jump into my throat.
No Quarter is such an adventure. They way they sort of reframed the song in some shroud of dark complexity is incredible and I'd give anything to get that shoved down my throat live. As it is, the visuals will only reside in my imagination.
I can't describe Jambi without saying that it is one "cool" fucking song. The bass line is hopefully a sign of things to come on the new album. The delay effect is masterful. The lyrics are sensitive and offer a wonderful juxtaposition to the heavy, mosh-type drum and guitar riffs.
Parabol/Parabola is pretty epic, to say the least. The lyrics circulate with a propensity to cry out to infinity and eternity. I kind of credit this song with my desire to accept a Buddhist philosophy of acceptance and appreciation of beauty. Every instrument is at the top of their game here.
Aenima was the first Tool song I ever fell in love with. I feel like this is the catchiest, angriest song I've ever heard. I'd give anything to see Maynard painted in blue, gyrating like a clowny robot, singing the 'I wanna watch it all go down' line.
Forty-Six and 2... I'm not sure what I love most about this song. It's got some of my favorite lyrics, the strongest bass line, the most unique drum solo that fits within the parameters of a song, and a wonderful job of Adam accentuating the said bass line. I feel like this is a modern rock epic.
Lateralus... everything has already been said about this song. It's probably saved countless, angst-ridden teenagers lives out there. "Spiral out, keep going"..."witness the beauty"... I mean... jesus fucking Christ.

Pushit-the climax at the end of the song is my favorite Tool moment. That's it. It's the perfect song.
inspiration_tactic
Has been

Post by inspiration_tactic »

so... what I don't get to post Hellboy?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

So where's #5, eh?
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

inspiration_tactic wrote:so... what I don't get to post Hellboy?
Everyone gets to post, but new users require approval before they can do so, something that has always been a requirement.

Number 5 coming sometime today.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

A number 2 coming out of me in about 5 minutes. Stay tuned...
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Krazy_blah wrote:A number 2 coming out of me in about 5 minutes. Stay tuned...
I'll..... pass.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Number 5 is Stinkfist!
Stinkfist is the second Tool song I ever heard (or at least remember) and was the first to really drag me in. I’d heard Sober on the radio before, but hearing Stinkfist played on afternoon on Triple J by Adam Spencer seemed to do it for me. The mix of the distorted and clean vocals are what sticks in my mind, and the next day I was down at the record store purchasing Aenima. The rest is history!

Really though, Stinkfist is a pretty straight forward song. It doesn’t feature much in the way of progression or weird time signatures, it’s just a solid rock song with the Tool twist.

It’s a great live staple as well. The combination of the catchy vocals, the late song extension as well as Adam’s video make it a fan favorite, and certainly a highlight of the set for me.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

10. The Pot [First song I ever heard by them]
9. H. [Love the vocals]
8. Sober [Also one of the first songs I ever heard, really like the guitar on this one for some reason]
7. Reflection [I like the dark picture I get in my head while listening to this song, it's in space and everything is super slow]
6. Sweat [Such a great tune, love the extended version]
5. Vicarious
4. Crawl Away [Don't know why I like it I just do]
3. Parabola
2. Intension
1. Jimmy

These are the songs I want to see live. Schism is overrated imo, drop it the next tour. Drop Stinkfist as well, the megaphone ruins the song.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ah fuck it

10. Eulogy
9. The Grudge
8. Jambi
7. The Patient
6. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
5. Pushit - Salival
4. Third Eye
3. Lateralus
2. Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
1. Disposition / Reflection / Triad =========> Fuck off it IS one song you motherfuckers
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

^suprised to see some 10,000 Day's songs on there. Agree with your list though.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

the chill wrote:^suprised to see some 10,000 Day's songs on there. Agree with your list though.
10,000 Days is a great album. Not as good as Lateralus or Aenima but still has some excellent songs. Could easily put Wings at the top that song is brilliant. Hate leaving Flood and No Quarter off the list but top 10 is top 10.

Oh and Tool still sucks
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

MOG wrote:
the chill wrote:^suprised to see some 10,000 Day's songs on there. Agree with your list though.
10,000 Days is a great album. Not as good as Lateralus or Aenima but still has some excellent songs. Could easily put Wings at the top that song is brilliant. Hate leaving Flood and No Quarter off the list but top 10 is top 10.

Oh and Tool still sucks
You're not fooling anyone you little scamp.
8-)
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

MOG wrote:

Oh and Tool still sucks
You have OVER half of 10,000 Days on your top ten and yet somehow you say it isn't as good as Aenima or Lateralus...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

children wrote:
You have OVER half of 10,000 Days on your top ten and yet somehow you say it isn't as good as Aenima or Lateralus...
I wouldn't call 3 songs half personally.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Well those three songs literally take up over half the time on the album. Check it yourself...
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

children wrote:Well those three songs literally take up over half the time on the album. Check it yourself...
It's not the size that matters, its how you use it
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

hellboy wrote:
children wrote:Well those three songs literally take up over half the time on the album. Check it yourself...
It's not the size that matters, its how you use it
Yeah, you're burn's completely fucking off. I get what you're saying, but the list is in # of tracks, not album length. Oh, and you're failed attempt was obvious 'battle my adversary!', soon as I saw 'Children' quoting 'Mog'...

I thought you died or something?
also, Avatar!
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

OH- and he's entirely right- 10kDays isn't as good as aenima or lateralus. Wank
also, Avatar!